There are 371 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is this the begining of the end for Alex?

Originally posted by cNiner:
yes , he is done people around here they don't want to face reality and the team don't want to admit they made a mistake !

I just want to say I been behind this guy the whole way, but the guy just too uptight and seems always afraid to make mistakes, he always had bad confidence, and perhaps his biggest knock is he holds on to the ball to long and stares down his recievers. I always rooted for him to correct all this but it's back to the same ol with this guy, enough is enough, maybe some guys just aren't NFL material and will only shine in the NFL
Beginning of the end... really?

This is the best situation possible for Smith. He can sit back and learn the entire offense without having any pressure on him since he is no longer being paid starter money. At Utah he was awesome his senior year because he had total mastery of the offense after studying it for 2 years. The only way he will fix his problem of holding on to the ball for too long is if he can sit back and learn without being thrust into a position he isnt comfortable with.

If anything Hill starting more likely saves Smith's career rather than ends it. If he cant supplant Hill over the next two years, he is a capable back up for this type of offense and would probably reunite with Turner somewhere down the line. I mean even frikkin JTO is a backup.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
i hope it is the end. he's just not gonna be a starting qb in this league. shaun hill is our guy so lets move on and pick sam bradford next year!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
I can't get over the fact that after countless knocks on him holding on to the ball too long he STILL DOES IT!

you are so wright , and hesitate to throw and throw behind the wr and on and on !

One would think 30 starts would be enough to catch up to the speed of the game. If he ain't caught up by now, folks, it ain't happening.

so true !
Just out of curiosity there are some really good QB's coming out this year in the draft.

Colt McCoy
Sam Bradford
Tim Teabow (Yes, he will be a good nfl QB)

With two number one picks, would you want us to use one of them if they fell to the niners?
Well honestly i say after his two years with us if he hasnt started then it's goodbye Alex, but i think he will be successful with another team, if he doesnt pan out with us.

Over all tho please stop with the comparisons, and some of you smith haters, once again manage to knock the kid, and act like hill is the second coming. i tell you this, if hill doesnt pan out this year than it's done for him as well.

Why because he's played longer than alex, and took him what 8 years or more to finally start a season. They say alex doesnt even have the potential to be a backup. Well lets be honest the only career backup we have on our team is hill and not even a backup, third stringer if i do remember correctly.

Whats funny to me is how hill fans think that all of a sudden after 8 years we are gonna tap into this potential. You have a better chance of montana coming out of retirement and taking over our team. Alex may not possess the skills that we as fans know you need to be a successful Qb, being that many of us are retired NFL players, so we know exactly what it takes.

Overall, it's still not over for the kid, but even Matt M. said in his article yesterday, yes, hill seems to be pulling ahead for the job of starter, however in the same sentence also said that alex is still getting better, and that will be the starter in the long run.

Hill fans themselves (some anyway) dont even think hill will finish the season. Im just ready for the starter to be named, and Week 1 to begin.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Aug 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:

This is the best situation possible for Smith. He can sit back and learn the entire offense without having any pressure on him since he is no longer being paid starter money. At Utah he was awesome his senior year because he had total mastery of the offense after studying it for 2 years. The only way he will fix his problem of holding on to the ball for too long is if he can sit back and learn without being thrust into a position he isnt comfortable with.

If anything Hill starting more likely saves Smith's career rather than ends it. If he cant supplant Hill over the next two years, he is a capable back up for this type of offense and would probably reunite with Turner somewhere down the line. I mean even frikkin JTO is a backup.

you can learn all you want , if you don't have instenct for the game and the positon you are playing good luck ! and sitting collecting more the 30 Million we threw at him is a shame we could have traded or drafte a qb !
Smith is only 25. He has a ways to go before he gets to the end.

this is sort of what worries me about smith. How often do good OC's stick around 5-10 years? Say Raye doesn't do any good and is gone in 2010, 2011. Is Alex going to have to take another 2 years to learn a new offense, which puts us back at square one?
Originally posted by SJniner7:

this is sort of what worries me about smith. How often do good OC's stick around 5-10 years? Say Raye doesn't do any good and is gone in 2010, 2011. Is Alex going to have to take another 2 years to learn a new offense, which puts us back at square one?

Valid point, but we need to remember Alex is no longer being paid starter money. Is he a failure as a savior of our franchise in the Nolan era.. absolutely. But we already paid him his #1 pick money, there was nothing we could do about that except for stop the bleeding and renegotiate, which we did.

If Raye does fail, we have Hill who has shown he is capable in any system. Smith would probably move on and be a career backup for Turner-like offenses, which I would be totally fine with. If Smith continues to be mediocre for the next 2 years, he's gone.
Hmmm, I guess one could say that when his college coach said that he was a slow learner, he should have clarified that to mean that his thinking process is one of a snail.

He really should go to a team with a good QB coach who can teach him good mechanics. Between his slow thinking process and his Robotic like mechanics .. right now he's a mediocre QB at best.

Norv Turner was good for him as evident on how he improved when Turner was around, but unfortunately it may be while before the 49er's can find another good QB coach.
Originally posted by irief:
Barring any kind of major injury, it seems as though Hill is the 9ers starting QB. I don't think Alex will ever recover from this. I think he is destined to a life of being a second or third stringer in the NFL. It's obvious that he just doesn't have the mentality to be a starter in this league.

Just like Ryan Leaf, the boy's problem isn't physical, it's in between his ears. Although Leaf's issues revolved around maturity, Alex's problem is that is game carries no confidence or poise. He plays with a very anxious and erratic style, which will never cut it at this level.

We keep hearing that the 9ers are happy with him, and they feel he will be starter in the future, but I'm pretty doubtful since he still hasn't over come is mental issues and doesn't seem like he ever will.

Actually the begining of the end was probably when Rocky Bernard crushed him. What do you guys think?

Uhmmm.... i would not start beating your chest about Q.B. Hill just yet. There is a 16 game schedule to play.... and hate to tell you this but, Alex by all reports is gaining confidence and playing better as each week passes. So even if Hill starts, 9ers clearly see that Alex is on the come.
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by irief:
Barring any kind of major injury, it seems as though Hill is the 9ers starting QB. I don't think Alex will ever recover from this. I think he is destined to a life of being a second or third stringer in the NFL. It's obvious that he just doesn't have the mentality to be a starter in this league.

Just like Ryan Leaf, the boy's problem isn't physical, it's in between his ears. Although Leaf's issues revolved around maturity, Alex's problem is that is game carries no confidence or poise. He plays with a very anxious and erratic style, which will never cut it at this level.

We keep hearing that the 9ers are happy with him, and they feel he will be starter in the future, but I'm pretty doubtful since he still hasn't over come is mental issues and doesn't seem like he ever will.

Actually the begining of the end was probably when Rocky Bernard crushed him. What do you guys think?

Uhmmm.... i would not start beating your chest about Q.B. Hill just yet. There is a 16 game schedule to play.... and hate to tell you this but, Alex by all reports is gaining confidence and playing better as each week passes. So even if Hill starts, 9ers clearly see that Alex is on the come.

Couldnt of said it better myself.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Smith has been throwing the ball well, but he has a very bad habit of holding on to the ball too long. He will have to break that habit to have any chance of being a starter in this league. I hope he figures it out

Its more like an important crossroad for him, does he step up and show that he can lead a team and be decisive and confident with his reads and throws, If not, he's on the road to being a career backup
  • irief
  • Veteran

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco proved that you don't need 10 years on the bench to gain pocket presence and show leadership qualities. It's time for the niners to move on and start looking elseware for our QB of the future. The more the niners linger on with hopes Alex becoming something that he isn't the longer this franchise will remain mired in mediocrity.

A good QB is the difference between mediocrity and playoff caliber team. Just look at most teams that have had a big turn around from a bad season to a playoff season. The biggest difference has been QB play. See Falcons and Dolphins.