There are 271 users in the forums

Is this the begining of the end for Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • irief
  • Veteran
Barring any kind of major injury, it seems as though Hill is the 9ers starting QB. I don't think Alex will ever recover from this. I think he is destined to a life of being a second or third stringer in the NFL. It's obvious that he just doesn't have the mentality to be a starter in this league.

Just like Ryan Leaf, the boy's problem isn't physical, it's in between his ears. Although Leaf's issues revolved around maturity, Alex's problem is that is game carries no confidence or poise. He plays with a very anxious and erratic style, which will never cut it at this level.

We keep hearing that the 9ers are happy with him, and they feel he will be starter in the future, but I'm pretty doubtful since he still hasn't over come is mental issues and doesn't seem like he ever will.

Actually the begining of the end was probably when Rocky Bernard crushed him. What do you guys think?
  • rum53
  • Veteran
I don't like the Leak-Smith comparison. Leaf had off the field problems. Smith does everything right off the field. For him, its more a matter of things clicking on the field.

I still think Smith can be an NFL QB. However, he's in a catch-22. He needs playing time to improve his pocket presence. But he won't get playing time until he demonstrates better pocket presence.
no im an alez fan and i think it is good for hill to win the competition it will let him learn the offense and maybe he can start in a year or two and then he can start. Most of the good qbs learned and was benched befire they started like brady young and so on.
yes , he is done people around here they don't want to face reality and the team don't want to admit they made a mistake !
Originally posted by cNiner:
yes , he is done people around here they don't want to face reality and the team don't want to admit they made a mistake !

Yes he will be dispelled soon, just be patient.

Nolan--gone!
JTO---gone!
Martz---gone!
If you re correct that Smith will forever languish behind Hill, then why do you believe he has no future as a starter? Without doing a comprehensive accounting of all 32 NFL teams, do you think he might have a shot at being a starter somewhere else, --- like ahead of Denver's Orton or the Raider's Russell, for example? Be real!
What I don't understand is that the main reason it is "better" in the long run if Smith pans out is because he has a stronger arm.

Doesn't Nate Davis have a stronger arm than Alex Smith? By the reasoning for Smith starting, then shouldn't we be working on Davis starting instead?
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

Yes he will be dispelled soon, just be patient.

Nolan--gone!
JTO---gone!
Martz---gone!

we need Mclueless to be Gone too cuz he gave him his 2nd contract !
Originally posted by Joecool:
What I don't understand is that the main reason it is "better" in the long run if Smith pans out is because he has a stronger arm.

Doesn't Nate Davis have a stronger arm than Alex Smith? By the reasoning for Smith starting, then shouldn't we be working on Davis starting instead?

The beginning of the end? No, I think the beginning of the end for him was before last season when JTO became starter.

I can't get over the fact that after countless knocks on him holding on to the ball too long he STILL DOES IT!
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
I can't get over the fact that after countless knocks on him holding on to the ball too long he STILL DOES IT!

you are so wright , and hesitate to throw and throw behind the wr and on and on !
[ Edited by cNiner on Aug 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM ]
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

you are so wright , and hesitate to throw and throw behind the wr and on and on !

One would think 30 starts would be enough to catch up to the speed of the game. If he ain't caught up by now, folks, it ain't happening.
So, I watched some of the game vs. the broncos last night (paticularly the offense) and I have to say, aside from that jeff garcia jump pass that failed, I thought alex smith looked confident and moved the ball well.

The media needs something to write about, between the two QB's. The QB competition is the media's bread and butter right now. They'd love to write about a tennis match going back and forth between those two guys. So, what I'm saying is don't be suprised next week after the Raider game if all the papers are saying "Alex Smith Regaining Control of the QB Lead". The fact of the matter is the winner is going to be determined on who does well on the field.

Alex looked good in the first game.... sorry haters.
It just comes down to the fact that he doesn't seem to have any pocket pressence
Share 49ersWebzone