LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

A Little More of the Same............

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • rob28
  • Veteran
after we go 6-10 this year we need to get mike holmgren and shanahan and go back to the good ol days. they can turn this franchise around from its current pathetic state.
While the lack of a pass rush is of concern, any fan of football should know that the first game of the preseason is way too early to come to conclusions about our future prospects.

That being said, regardless of how well we do this season, one of next year's 1st rounders has to be stud pass rusher. The other 1st round pick remains open for debate. IMO
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Man, if we only had Trent Dilfer back all our problems at QB would be solved!
  • ninermatt
  • Info N/A
Why do we have to be a power running team? Why can't we go back to Mooch and combine a west coast passing attack with a power running philosophy? To me that makes the most sense especially since our line has not proven they can just maul a defense yet. Also, next draft look out for a quarterback and a pass rusher in round 1.
Originally posted by rob28:
after we go 6-10 this year we need to get mike holmgren and shanahan and go back to the good ol days. they can turn this franchise around from its current pathetic state.

Shut up how can u say our current state is pathetic? Sing's putting us in the direction we need to be in and within two years if not this year the division will be ours for many years to come.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Sticking with Lawson and Haralson to produce a pass rush will prove to be the biggest miscalculation this year. Until we find a legit #1 QB the offense will continue to look mediocre.

Actually, I think Hill is a legit number 1 QB. He moves the chains, sustains drives, and keeps the defense off the field. What else can we ask from him ?

The problem is the defense in itself. Manusky has underachieved, IMO. Unfortunately, he has finished the season strong during his tenure here, and Niner brass is fooled into thinking his shemes are good for this roster. Orton dissected our defense the other day. Let me repeat.........ORTON dissected our defense the other day. If a guy like him can pick us apart, imagine what Warner or McNabb would do...

Dude it's preseason even nolan looks good with a vanilla defense at this time of year. The fact he carved up the defense and threw 3 picks in a quarter means he sure can fit in it there when no one is around the player. Thats more picks from are cb's and safety's then 2 preseason combined. That's improvement son!
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Carney16:

Shut up how can u say our current state is pathetic? Sing's putting us in the direction we need to be in and within two years if not this year the division will be ours for many years to come.

that sounds great and all but we dont have the players point blank. i like sing as a coach but we are not winning the division untill we get the players we need. hill and smith at qb, bruce as the no. 1 reciever, a weak o-line and no pass rush= another losing season.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
While the lack of a pass rush is of concern, any fan of football should know that the first game of the preseason is way too early to come to conclusions about our future prospects.

That being said, regardless of how well we do this season, one of next year's 1st rounders has to be stud pass rusher. The other 1st round pick remains open for debate. IMO

Eric Berry for the other pick...dude is going to be the next great DB.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
While the lack of a pass rush is of concern, any fan of football should know that the first game of the preseason is way too early to come to conclusions about our future prospects. That being said, regardless of how well we do this season, one of next year's 1st rounders has to be stud pass rusher. The other 1st round pick remains open for debate. IMO
Eric Berry for the other pick...dude is going to be the next great DB.
agreed berry will be a great second 1st round pick for us.

Actually we looked much better than we have in the last 4 years at this point.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I know the preseason just started, but it didnt look like we made major strides from last year. Our offense (mind you on only 1 drive's worth of analysis) didnt have spark I was hoping for. Just like last season, we put ourselves in bad position and looked to Hill to pull us out. Our o-line sputtered, and Hill was forced to make plays on his own. As for Smith, just as I expected. A lot of bad plays, only to be erased by one semi-good throw for a TD.

Defense.......blah. The only INT I counted was Dre Bly's. The other two were Orton feeling sorry for our defense, and throwing it into our arms. Other than that, we didnt put anything out there to scare anyone. Typical Manusky defense, IMO.

I hope we got some more weapons in our arsenal, or this is just gonna be one of those typical 8-8 seasons.

here we go....

after we go 6-10 this year we need [U]to get mike holmgren and shanahan[/U] and go back to the good ol days. they can turn this franchise around from its current pathetic state.

What he said.

Still though I think we will do better than 6-10, could be pretty darn boring football though. And no, for me wins with boring football are not as good as agressive attacking offensive wins.

A good playoff team will just turn this Rae offense off, simple as that. I'm going to hate to see them run Gore into the D line, over, and over and over.. They are going to need Coffee and Sheets big time.

NINERS!!!!!!

[/u]
Sorry to say folks but it is what it is.... More of the same. You can say it was only the first preseason game blaaaa blaaa... But we can't even get the basics right... Like pass protecting, rushing the passer, WR's getting separation... We did nothing in the draft to shore up our most pressing needs. Pass rush and pass protection... It looks ECACTLY the same. I'm sure you folks were saying the same thing last year after the first preseason game to....
Share 49ersWebzone