LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

A Little More of the Same............

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Sorry to say folks but it is what it is.... More of the same. You can say it was only the first preseason game blaaaa blaaa... But we can't even get the basics right... Like pass protecting, rushing the passer, WR's getting separation... We did nothing in the draft to shore up our most pressing needs. Pass rush and pass protection... It looks ECACTLY the same. I'm sure you folks were saying the same thing last year after the first preseason game to....

What you have to understand is that we didn't need anything else but Sing. Sing is the reason for the season. Sing is why we strap on our Niner gear and walk around everyday. Sing is why we exist.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I know the preseason just started, but it didnt look like we made major strides from last year. Our offense (mind you on only 1 drive's worth of analysis) didnt have spark I was hoping for. Just like last season, we put ourselves in bad position and looked to Hill to pull us out. Our o-line sputtered, and Hill was forced to make plays on his own. As for Smith, just as I expected. A lot of bad plays, only to be erased by one semi-good throw for a TD.

Defense.......blah. The only INT I counted was Dre Bly's. The other two were Orton feeling sorry for our defense, and throwing it into our arms. Other than that, we didnt put anything out there to scare anyone. Typical Manusky defense, IMO.

I hope we got some more weapons in our arsenal, or this is just gonna be one of those typical 8-8 seasons.

First, lets not forget its the first preseason game. The Lions were undefeated last year in the preseason. The Patriots have often had losing preseasons so lets keep it in perspective. Second, on offense, they were without their best player (Gore) and the starting FB (Norris). The OL gave up a couple of sacks but in at least 2 cases the QB held the ball too long (1 for Hill, 1 for Smith). Smith did not have "a lot of bad plays," especially considering it was his first game action of any kind in almost a year. Its a new offensive scheme, they're not game planning and their staying vanilla.

Second, not really sure what "typical Manusky" means considering we really only have 1/2 a season where Nolan was not involved/interfering with the defense and during that time the defense went from 24th to 13th overall and was second in the league in giving up the fewest explosive plays of 20 yards or more. If that's "typical Manusky," then having that from the beginning of the season would put them in the top 10 overall. Also, only giving the defense credit for 1 of the INTs also isn't a legitimate criticism. For example, Orton didn't throw the ball to Clements, Clements came off his coverage by recognizing where the ball was going. It was a good play by Nate, not a case of Orton throwing the ball to him. With that said, again, its the first preseason game. Their best defensive player (Willis) wasn't playing. They kept it vanilla and controlled the game when the 1st and 2nd team players were largely on the field in the first half.

If anything, the encouraging sign was that the 49ers won the portion of the game when both teams had more of their 1st and 2nd team players on the field in the first half but "lost" the 2nd half when there were more players fighting for the bottom roster spots or practice squad spots were on the field.

I know everyone, including Jed York, is hoping for the playoffs but before you dismiss 8-8, lets not forget the 49ers have had losing seasons for 6 straight years, including a couple that were really ugly. 8-8 might be a small disappointment but it would still be a good step in the right direction.
  • ZRF80
Ah yes. Here we go yet again. The typical "it's only preseason" and "we only play vanilla style in preseason" hype. Look, no one here is discussing how good or bad a single player is. Im talking about TRENDS. Which is what preseason is all about.

From what you saw vs. Denver, can anyone here claim that we did anything outside the norm ? I dont care about what starters were missing. Remember, we could lose any one of those same starters to injury, then what ? Are you gonna base another winless season on injuries and misfortune ? What I saw was a typical Niners drive (on several occasions) where our QB ad to bail us out and 3rd and long. Since Hill is a viable QB, he was able to convert a 3rd and long by throwing a great pass to VD. On the opposite end, Alex Smith, yet again, failed to move the chains when it counted. Those that tout the "5-7 and 1 TD" are the typical homers who yet again fail to realize that Alex did NOT convert on key situations.

But forget about the offense. Im sure our offensive coordinator put up a "vanilla" scheme on purpose. It's obvious we want to fool the competition going into the season. We'll score our 55 points per game when the season starts.

How bout the defense. Asides from the lame "we didnt have all our starters", excuse (cause God knows that the starters play EVERY snap in EVERY game the ENTIRE season), did we put anything up there that fooled Denver ? I mean, Kyle Orton was picking our defense apart. On one occasion, it was 3rd and 5, and I saw Clements playing 10-15 yards off his receiver. Where was the smashmouth in your face defense that Singletary always brags about ? If it wasnt for Orton inability to finish drives (Rattay part II), Denver couldve easily won this match by 10-14 points.

Hell, it was only the first preseason game.......I know. But geez, will some of you lay off the Kool-Aid for one bit and look at things objectively ? Forget analyzing players; lets just talk about offensive/defensive trends. After PRESEASON GAME 1, I do NOT see anything that makes me think this team is vastly different from Nolan's debacle. Except for the atrocious unis, but thats a different debate..........
Originally posted by mayo63:
Sticking with Lawson and Haralson to produce a pass rush will prove to be the biggest miscalculation this year. Until we find a legit #1 QB the offense will continue to look mediocre.

Actually, I think Hill is a legit number 1 QB. He moves the chains, sustains drives, and keeps the defense off the field. What else can we ask from him ?

The problem is the defense in itself. Manusky has underachieved, IMO. Unfortunately, he has finished the season strong during his tenure here, and Niner brass is fooled into thinking his shemes are good for this roster. Orton dissected our defense the other day. Let me repeat.........ORTON dissected our defense the other day. If a guy like him can pick us apart, imagine what Warner or McNabb would do...

This very true about our defense. Orton did take us apart. And the only INT I count is the leaping INT by # 30. Sorry I forgot his name. As for the pass rush, yikes! And don't give me its the pre-season and we arnt gonna show them anything, Denver had four sacks, I'm pretty sure they wern't gonna show anything either.
Wah wah boo hoo...

Does anyone have an original thought on here?

Or would you guys like to continue to spew the same regurgitated bull for the rest of the preseason?

We don't have this and we don't have that... hey, news flash geniuses:

WE ARE NOT THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

We suck... about as bad as every other team out there that hasn't been to the playoffs in a few years.

NO s**t

Are there positives? Of course. Will I point them out to you? Hell to the No.

Why would I waste my breath on you, The True Whiners? You're going to think what you want, anyway. Are we better than last season or the season before? Of course! Do you guys see it? Of course not!! Why? Because you have little to zero knowledge of how a football season works!!!

IT'S CALLED "PRE" SEASON

as in: BEFORE the season
as in: it doesn't count, vanilla ass offense and defense
as in: GET OVER IT
as in: don't be a f**kin' TOOL

*sigh*

Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Wah wah boo hoo...

Or would you guys like to continue to spew the same regurgitated bull for the rest of the preseason?

We suck... about as bad as every other team out there that hasn't been to the playoffs in a few years.

NO s**t

Why would I waste my breath on you, The True Whiners? You're going to think what you want, anyway. Are we better than last season or the season before? Of course! Do you guys see it? Of course not!! Why? Because you have little to zero knowledge of how a football season works!!!

IT'S CALLED "PRE" SEASON

*sigh*

Why did you type all this, then?
Originally posted by English:
Wah wah boo hoo...

NO s**t

IT'S CALLED "PRE" SEASON

*sigh*

I felt it needed to be said in such a way as to make me feel better.
Made me feel better to call out the tools, okay.
Problem?

[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Aug 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM ]
Wah wah boo hoo...

NO s**t

IT'S CALLED "PRE" SEASON

*sigh*

Made me feel better to call out the tools. Problem?

Yes. It was a fairly pointless post. It is a discussion thread. They are discussing. If you don't agree with them - as I frequently don't - respond with reason and logic. Or opinion. And if you find the thread as facile as you seemed to imply, why waste you time? Hence my question
Really? After a preseason game?

Lions were 4-0 last preseason
Colts were 0-4 last preseason (like every year)

We were without our two best players too

This is ridiculous

Wah wah boo hoo...

NO s**t

IT'S CALLED "PRE" SEASON

*sigh*

Made me feel better to call out the tools. Problem?

Yes. It was a fairly pointless post. It is a discussion thread. They are discussing. If you don't agree with them - as I frequently don't - respond with reason and logic. Or opinion. And if you find the thread as facile as you seemed to imply, why waste you time? Hence my question

See the above edited response...

"respond with reason and logic"
does no good on this board
and obviously that WAS my opinion... duh
and if you replied to my "pointless" post then it wasn't pointless was it?
hence, my reply to your reply to my "pointless" post, lol
now what?

[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Aug 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM ]
OMG the sky is falling, Our pass rush failed to get a sack against a line that only allowed 12 all last year... in a preseason game... our season is doomed.

If you believe this please /wrists and let natural selection take its course.. ;) jk

But seriously it's preseason, we wont know what our team is until the end of week 4 of the regular season... when hopefully we have a stranglehold on our division. Otherwise that will be the appropriate time for the sky to start falling.
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Sorry to say folks but it is what it is.... More of the same. You can say it was only the first preseason game blaaaa blaaa... But we can't even get the basics right... Like pass protecting, rushing the passer, WR's getting separation... We did nothing in the draft to shore up our most pressing needs. Pass rush and pass protection... It looks ECACTLY the same. I'm sure you folks were saying the same thing last year after the first preseason game to....

What you have to understand is that we didn't need anything else but Sing. Sing is the reason for the season. Sing is why we strap on our Niner gear and walk around everyday. Sing is why we exist.

Are you serious or are you being smugg??
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mayo63:
Sticking with Lawson and Haralson to produce a pass rush will prove to be the biggest miscalculation this year. Until we find a legit #1 QB the offense will continue to look mediocre.

Actually, I think Hill is a legit number 1 QB. He moves the chains, sustains drives, and keeps the defense off the field. What else can we ask from him ?

The problem is the defense in itself. Manusky has underachieved, IMO. Unfortunately, he has finished the season strong during his tenure here, and Niner brass is fooled into thinking his shemes are good for this roster. Orton dissected our defense the other day. Let me repeat.........ORTON dissected our defense the other day. If a guy like him can pick us apart, imagine what Warner or McNabb would do...

It was a vanilla preseason defense. Why would we show our cards this early. Yeah that would make a ton of sense. I think 3 picks against there starting QB is us picking him apart no matter how he moved the chains.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm not sure how you cannot count Smith's interception. It was a very athletic play and had he not been there to pic it off it woulda been a reception.

And it was our first preseason game and our O looked better in our first preseason game this year than last years. Our D just needs to find a pass rush (not gonna be easy) but after looking at one game I'm more comfortable with our team at this point than I was last year
Share 49ersWebzone