LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Balmer Power!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not really feeling Balmer. He had an awesome mini camps & off season. Okay good for him. Come training camp he's been pushed around, having problems stopping the run and getting off of his man, and the pass rush? not even there. From what i've heard is Snyder & Chilo have straight up beat his ass in camp so far. In fact Snyer has put Balmer on his back a number of times.

Last night was a great example. the guy got manhandled by a second string tackle, then a gaurd on back to back plays. I know it's early and only the first pre season game, but man he hasn't shown his worth to crack the starting lineup & is looking like to be a boner.

3rd year is usually the mark for WR's & DL's to hit their stride & potential, but damnit I'm not sure with him. Where's this ridiculious strength he was to have? Not good when your getting man handled on run plays.

Balmer having a Blackout?
he is only heading into his 2nd season, give KB time, i think he will develop.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
He was massively overrated coming out of college IMO. I've always said that. I wish him the best though. I'd like to see him step it up.
Originally posted by Dino:
He was massively overrated coming out of college IMO. I've always said that. I wish him the best though. I'd like to see him step it up.

The Balmer pick was a big reach for sure.....he was a 2nd round DL at best.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Bustville
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Dino:

The Balmer pick was a big reach for sure.....he was a 2nd round DL at best.

He was picked at #29 or 30, I forget exactly, which is almost 2nd round. But even 2nd round DL's should be able to become starters and produce over time. It's a big adjustment for D linemen, so we have to be a little patient before we hang the B label on him.
Ask me around game 10 or beyond, then I will have formed an opinion. Until then, I don't know, but I'm willing to let him develop.
Yea, and that Willis guy couldn't even get on the field.
Originally posted by susweel:
Bustville

C'mon man, don't be so hard on yourself.
  • 49ersNorcal
  • Info N/A
I would love to see more productivity out of Balmer but give the guy some slack its only his 2nd year. Yet I think his slack is very limited since he was picked in the 1st round if my memory is correct.

Balmer made couple of very nice plays last year in limited playing time(tackles for losses).He'll be alright IMO.

Guess you don't watch 49er football.

Takeo Spikes gave him a ringing endorsement recently on a radio interview.
Did he even play last night?
Originally posted by susweel:
Bustville

I remember saying Ted Washington was a bust going into his second year. Niners traded him to Denver for a scrub he ends up in Buffalo and becomes one of the games dominant NT for 10+ years and helps Bruce Smith become a HOF because it takes 2-3 guys to handle Washington.

Experience has taught me to hold off on heavy handed opinions and let these guys have 3-4 seasons to prove what they can do. I know it is hard to be patient but with WR, DL and QB have to give it time
  • GORO
  • Veteran
We will not see until the regular season if the light goes on for Balmer. But it seems that he was a slow starter in college till his senior season and thats when he became a top prospect for the NFL.
Calais Campbel is looking good, I hear. Drafted for the same position several picks later by the Cards. One of the reasons I didn't trust our lack of interest in Everett Brown. I don't think our guys scout DL or pass rushers that well.
Share 49ersWebzone