There are 279 users in the forums

Offensive Analysis thread (Preseason Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Hill won tonight 100%. I cannot believe that people think there was no separation. Hill had 1 chance, was 2/2 for 41 yards, and got 3 points. Smith had 4 chances, and only scored when he was given the ball at the 11 yard line.

Kory Sheet looked awesome. He looked better than Coffee in my opinion. Kory averaged 5.1 yards with the 3rd string line blocking for him. By game 3 you all will see. Shaun Hill and Kory Sheets.

nonsense

I've been saying that Sheets will have more yards than Coffee since the draft. I'll say it again. Sheets will have more yards than Coffee. You can call it nonsense. I call it the future.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm pretty sure Hill can throw a 3 yard TD inside the 5. Lol at people making a big deal over that easy score.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Hill won tonight 100%. I cannot believe that people think there was no separation. Hill had 1 chance, was 2/2 for 41 yards, and got 3 points. Smith had 4 chances, and only scored when he was given the ball at the 11 yard line.

Agreed. He moved the chains. Got VD involved as a weapon.

Round 1 goes to Shaun.

Alex moved the chains.Got Josh Morgan involved as a weapon.Threw a TD pass to Bret Miller

Round 1 goes to Alex.

Alex's 2 series before that TD (off the INT on a very short field) both ended in Andy Lee punts. There was one 1st down in both series - a run by Coffee. Alex moved the chains?

Nice, feel-good TD toss for Alex to end his work for the night, but that's the kind of performance that we saw from him in 2006. Back then, that was progress.

In 2009, that ain't good enough to win the starting job if this 1st pre-season game is a measure.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by aacadena:

Round 1 goes to Shaun.

Alex moved the chains.Got Josh Morgan involved as a weapon.Threw a TD pass to Bret Miller

Round 1 goes to Alex.

Sweet Jesus. Rount 1 goes to Hill. Hill had one chance and scored. Alex Smith had four chances and only scored when he was given the ball on the 11th yard line. And actually, he should have thrown it Davis who was wide open in the end zone.

No he shoudnlt have thrown it to Davis cuz there was a defender right in between which is what Kyle Orton did and obviously paid for it. So now even though the scored on the Play you telling me Smith made a bad decision? hahaha i like your simple mind bro

and to be honest Alex Romero scored not shaun.

So Hill has more yards than Alex with one series and gets 3 points. Alex gets four chances and only scores when given the ball on the 4 yard line by Singletery? How is that remotely even? It is not, Hill wins, 100%, no doubt.
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A

Round 1 goes to Shaun.

Round 1 goes to Alex.

Alex's 2 series before that TD (off the INT on a very short field) both ended in Andy Lee punts. There was one 1st down in both series - a run by Coffee. Alex moved the chains?

Nice, feel-good TD toss for Alex to end his work for the night, but that's the kind of performance that we saw from him in 2006. Back then, that was progress.

In 2009, that ain't good enough to win the starting job if this 1st pre-season game is a measure.

say what you want but he could have thrown a pick? or better yet, waited 6 whole seconds to get sacked.
if vernon keeps it up... probowl for sure. ima keep my fingers crossed
  • GlennCoffee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GlennCoffee:
remember coffee plays were all up the middle. even the best backs can't beak through everytime. thats the nature of the middle. i really want't to see coffe run off tackle or outside more but.... both coffee and sheets looked good. as for the comments about sheets doing what he did with the 3OL blocking....don't forget he was running against the 2-3 defense too. coffee did what he did agaisnt the 1's and up the gut every time. he can catch too but unfortunately he can't catch screens thrown 2 feet in front of his feet. so far coffee is the 2nd leading ing rusher in preseason. anywho its obvious i'm bniased because i'm glenn coffees #1 fan

Is that you Glen? if so sorry bro but Frank has got this year my man.

nope just the biggest bama fan in the known universe and now a pretty big 49ers fan for obvious reasons but i also like coach singeltarys style....the man is intense. go 9ers
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Reckless:
The 3 sacks we bad. One Hill should have thrown. They all were questionable if it was line or holding on to long. But I think Hill deserves the starting job. Smith is frustratingly all over the place. Good pass, bad pass, bad pass, good pass. Enough with this bust. HILL!

Morgan and Davis look ready to go. Its going to be crazy to see who the WR will be this year. Very good position as a team and fans.

Coffee and Sheets. Wow :)

I couldn't agree more, Smith is just way to inconsistent for me. Hill just has way more confidence out there.

5 of 7 is inconsistent for you? how bout that play to Morgan in front of Bailey. Argue all you want for Hill but He did not go for Bailey's side of the field.

I've come to the conclusion these people just want Smith to fail. Smith had a solid game. So did Hill, which means the job remains in Hills hands.

There is no shortage of Alex haters around here. He really only made one bad throw on the screen or check down to Coffee. I thought all the QBs looked pretty good. It would have been nice to see Davis throw a few, not that he is really in the mix, but just to see.

Spurlock looked good, he could be in the mix, more than I expected when he was signed.

No turnovers, that's a plus.

Clayton is history, they called it a sprain, it looked like an ACL to me.

Overall I would give the offense a B grade.

Two bad throws. He almost f*cked up the T.D. pass. No, I'm not an Alex hater but I haven't seen anything tonight to write home about. His body language looks the same as it's always looks - panicky.

If yall think that's haterism, that's your opinion.
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A

Round 1 goes to Shaun.

Round 1 goes to Alex.

Sweet Jesus. Rount 1 goes to Hill. Hill had one chance and scored. Alex Smith had four chances and only scored when he was given the ball on the 11th yard line. And actually, he should have thrown it Davis who was wide open in the end zone.

No he shoudnlt have thrown it to Davis cuz there was a defender right in between which is what Kyle Orton did and obviously paid for it. So now even though the scored on the Play you telling me Smith made a bad decision? hahaha i like your simple mind bro

and to be honest Alex Romero scored not shaun.

So Hill has more yards than Alex with one series and gets 3 points. Alex gets four chances and only scores when given the ball on the 4 yard line by Singletery? How is that remotely even? It is not, Hill wins, 100%, no doubt.

ok here bro your missing the point.

Alex knock is that he doesnt throw the short ball well. Well what the f**k do u call 5 out of 7 for 33 yards. and then when the REAL SEASON has come, tell me who do u want throwing that deep ball to Morgan or Davis? Im not Crabtree fan, i wanted Brian Orakpo cuz Im a Texas Fan. Morgan looked Impressive but the only person willing to press Bailey was Smith. that's why Hill got sacked 6 seconds later. The O-line did their job.
[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 14, 2009 at 11:16 PM ]
Brit Miller > Zak Keasey

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Obviously I'm going to rewatch the game because I definitely don't see things the way the rest of the board does.

To me Coffee looked like another M.Rob (2 yards and a cloud of dust). I dont think he is better than sheets, thats for sure.

Alex looked horrible. I was at the game. I saw him miss recievers and place the ball in places that didn't allow the reciever to make plays. He was booed at least twice at Candlestick.

Thats all I can think of now.

Smith was 5-7,and one of those was a throw away to avoid a sack,so yes,you should watch the game again.Coffee ran 14 times for 67 yards...you sure you were at the game?How many beers did you have?

4.7 per carry is a little more than "2-yards and a cloud of dust". As the observant, new guy so eloquently put it.

Like I said, I was at the game. I have ok seats LB07, but I'm right at the Niner Endzone so sometimes I couldn't see. All I would see in the beginning with Coffee is a hand off and a pile of bodies and the board change to 2 or 3 yards. I know he ripped off a couple of decent ones, but I have to go back in look.

BTW, sometimes stats dont tell the whole story.....

Unlike some of you guys (Memphis) I'm not a know it all and feel I have to always be right. If I'm wrong, big deal.

I take back the "New Guy" comment.

Kory Sheet looked awesome. He looked better than Coffee in my opinion. Kory averaged 5.1 yards with the 3rd string line blocking for him. By game 3 you all will see. Shaun Hill and Kory Sheets.

Dude Hill was staring down receivers tonight,he cannot do that or he will get hurt or throw the pick.If Smith was doing that you would have a cow.

True, no doubt. But Hill was given one chance and was 2/2. Smith was given 4 chances and only scored when he started on the 11 yard line. One chance versus four chances is not fair. In my opinion, Hill looked far, far, far superior. He did not have one single 3 and out. Alex Smith had three of them.

Im falling to see how superior is holding on to the ball for 6 seconds. Not superior. Drew Bress Superior. Shaun Hill just about even with a guy whose been outta football for two years. he was not 2/2 because he had 4 opportunities to throw the ball.

One chance and Hill scores and is 2/2.
Smith has 4, that is 4 chances. He scores once, when given the ball on the 11 yard line.

Hill never had a 3 and out series, Smith had 3 of them.

Be real man, why did the coaches pull Hill after one series? Because they know Hill is better. They hoped Alex would step up, which he didn't.

Here is real-Alex Smith: 5-7 33yds 1td,not bad for a guy's 1st game in almost 2yrs

Here is real-If they know Hill is better why is he not locked in as the starter?,why is there even a competition?

Get real man

Round 1 goes to Shaun.

Round 1 goes to Alex.

say what you want but he could have thrown a pick? or better yet, waited 6 whole seconds to get sacked.

Alex got sacked on his first play, didnt he? Shaun Hill wasn't flawless, he did hold the ball too long, but if you look at his body of work as a whole, he had one series that lasted over 7 minutes, 11 plays, and drove down the field. Alex had two series, both 4 minutes or less, and resulted in punts. (The TD toss is a feel-good throwaway which says nothing for Alex or Shaun either way.).

At the end of the day, Sing will look to who's running the offense better.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If you really think about it, Hill was 2 for 4. Since he was actually sacked on two pass attempts, you have to count that.
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A

Dude Hill was staring down receivers tonight,he cannot do that or he will get hurt or throw the pick.If Smith was doing that you would have a cow.

True, no doubt. But Hill was given one chance and was 2/2. Smith was given 4 chances and only scored when he started on the 11 yard line. One chance versus four chances is not fair. In my opinion, Hill looked far, far, far superior. He did not have one single 3 and out. Alex Smith had three of them.

Im falling to see how superior is holding on to the ball for 6 seconds. Not superior. Drew Bress Superior. Shaun Hill just about even with a guy whose been outta football for two years. he was not 2/2 because he had 4 opportunities to throw the ball.

One chance and Hill scores and is 2/2.
Smith has 4, that is 4 chances. He scores once, when given the ball on the 11 yard line.

Hill never had a 3 and out series, Smith had 3 of them.

Be real man, why did the coaches pull Hill after one series? Because they know Hill is better. They hoped Alex would step up, which he didn't.

Here is real-Alex Smith: 5-7 33yds 1td,not bad for a guy's 1st game in almost 2yrs

Here is real-If they know Hill is better why is he not locked in as the starter?,why is there even a competition?

Get real man

Thank you Super5. That's logic brother.
Share 49ersWebzone