LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Oh, Please Let There Be No Injuries

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • gpat52
  • Info N/A
It seems like players tend to get injured more in noncontact activities during the offseason: Gore's hand injury two years ago, Harris's ACL, Alex Smith's shoulder. I just hope Marvel Smith can stay healthy.
It's easy to say that football is football, but I think its a terrible idea. There's a reason no NFL teams do full contact Oklahoma drills and tackling drills all training camp. The NFL season is already 16 games, plus four games of preseason, plus up to four games of postseason long. Their bodies shouldn't be taking an extra 3 weeks of wear and tear. College player can barely do 10, if the 49ers were to make the Superbowl that would be about 27 weeks of full body contact. Absolutely rediculous. Old school players didn't have the same training regiments as the athletes of today, they didn't hit as hard, and they didn't starin their joints year in and year out as much. Everyone will be all smiles, saying stupid cliche things like physical with an "F"... until we lose a key contributor, then I think the tune will be different. I pray it doesn't happen, and I knock on wood as I type, but these guys know how to tackle (if it becomes a problem in preseason, then you go rectify it).

That is all...

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:40:28 ]
Originally posted by gpat52:
It seems like players tend to get injured more in noncontact activities during the offseason: Gore's hand injury two years ago, Harris's ACL, Alex Smith's shoulder. I just hope Marvel Smith can stay healthy.

Alex Smith's shoulder was not a non-contact injury, it was a contact injury (from Rocky Bernards sack) that was reagrivated by throwing. And Harris' ACL injury came after an in practice collison. I think injuries happen either way, but both injuries and wear and tear happen in full contact practices.
  • rugger49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by gpat52:

Alex Smith's shoulder was not a non-contact injury, it was a contact injury (from Rocky Bernards sack) that was reagrivated by throwing. And Harris' ACL injury came after an in practice collison. I think injuries happen either way, but both injuries and wear and tear happen in full contact practices.

and so does a gained sense of confidence and different demeanor towards the game...i think these full contact practices will make our oline and dline better which is what we need a meaner oline and dline.
I am by no means a religious man, but I will be saying a prayer tonight for our 49ers to have a healthy and successful training camp. It would not hurt for you all to do the same! There will come a time this season when we we'll need some luck on our side.

[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:55:09 ]
Thanks for gooch'n the team.
Originally posted by postonhater:

Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
This crazy intense training camp sounds like a good idea but worries me because of the increased chance of injuries. Is anyone worried? 15 days of 2-a-day padded full contact practices?? Wow.. Crazy, but I hope we get out of this without lots of injuries. Am I the only one a little freaked out about this?

You know this means lots of training camp brawls and a few of them involving Vernon...lol. I really hope everyone stays healthy. I always thought preseason was the time to start blowing people up and shake the rust off. Maybe the defense will just tackle the practice squad players....heheh
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by valrod33:
thanks you just jinxed us

Yup, better knock on wood...

just did.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by postonhater:

Nice!!

Survival of the fittest! If they don't survive practice, they werent destined to be part of the SB winning champion 2009 San Francisco 49ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure Singletary is gonna give unplanned days off to reward the players. Especially if players begin getting injured frequently.
Let's not even talk about the "I" word.
Amen!
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
This crazy intense training camp sounds like a good idea but worries me because of the increased chance of injuries. Is anyone worried? 15 days of 2-a-day padded full contact practices?? Wow.. Crazy, but I hope we get out of this without lots of injuries. Am I the only one a little freaked out about this?

Perhaps wearing pads and being prepared to hit or get hit means there will be less injuries?

[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Aug 1, 2009 at 07:31:20 ]
Share 49ersWebzone