There are 198 users in the forums

Are you ok with Sing holding off practices for Team Building meetings?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you ok with Sing holding off practices for Team Building meetings?

The 49ers are not getting on the practice field at the earliest allowed by NFL rules. The 49ers can get on the field Friday for their first full-squad practice. However, Singletary decided to have meetings for several days before the 49ers take the field for the first time on Saturday.

"At the end of the day, the last game of the season, I don't think we're going to look back and say we should've taken that one day," Singletary said. "I like things to be spelled out very clearly. It's important to take some time to get to know each other. There are probably 31 other teams that will get a jump on it. They're probably trying to get out there today, but I guarantee we'll get all the work we need." Instant 49ers

Singletary is also taking these three days of meetings to define strict roles for coaches and players. Being guileless is dramatically different than the innovative glory days of Bill Walsh and the West Coast scheme. However, the outlining of goals and roles is right out of the 49ers old school text book. One scout from the glory years once said that he was stunned that when he got to the 49ers, the first thing they asked him was what did he need to be successful. Then they assigned him specific tasks and traits to look for in players. Maybe Singletary is instituting the same edicts.

"I like things to be spelled out very clearly and I want to make sure that the players understand their roles," Singletary said about the three days of meetings before the team commences its first practice. "I want to make sure the coaches understand their roles. I want to make sure each guy knows the guy to his left, the guy to his right, the guy behind him, the guy in front of him. I think its important for us to really take some time to get to know each other because when we are out here, that is all we have and we are going forward with that." 9er Insider

[ Edited by global_nomad on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:00:18 ]
Nothing wrong with defining roles for each of the players and coaches... Besides, it'll save 'em the wear and tear they're sure to get in the pre-season and all the live practice of the OTC...

Good for Singletary to start it off with the "this is how we're going to do it" aspect....

It makes sense to me. I think a lot of times, they waste a lot of the day just figuring out where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do. I've read a lot of that. ESPECIALLY with new coaches. The players need to know what to do. I think this makes it more effecient. I think Sing is doing LESS practices, but the ones he is doing is WAY more intense and effecient. Hope it plans out
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
It makes sense to me. I think a lot of times, they waste a lot of the day just figuring out where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to do. I've read a lot of that. ESPECIALLY with new coaches. The players need to know what to do. I think this makes it more effecient. I think Sing is doing LESS practices, but the ones he is doing is WAY more intense and effecient. Hope it plans out

I think it also tells professional athletes to check their ego at the door.

___________ is what Singletary expects you to do and if you don't do that, you are going to get an earful, or sent to the locker room early

[ Edited by global_nomad on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:26:07 ]
i love singletary man.
this guy knows what hes doing
i agree 100% with his meetings.

the man is a G!
We're only talking about Friday, which is the earliest they can hit the field . . . no worries.
It's done the same way in schools...............learn the theory before you attempt the practicals
hell yes! Sing is gonna turn this team around.
Does it really matter if im not ok with this, Singletary would tear my ass up if i go agaisnt him.

So, obviously, yes it's fine with me.

We never did this in the past, but we haven't exactly been the best in recent years.
Its all about quality of practice not quantity. If you dont know the fudenmentals you will be stopping every other play to due over. Not very productive.

Sounds really good to me as bad as they've been might as well take the whole weekend to do this. Nothing wrong with defined roles, and preaching execution of those roles from top to bottom, and between coaches, and players.

[ Edited by lamontb on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:33:39 ]
I wonder what he is going to say to the QBs when they are talking about specific roles ???
  • kem99
  • Veteran
I think by rule they can't actually conduct on-field practices until Friday, so what they're doing now is actually extra work.
It's completely fine by me. So much of the game is mental, and I like that he is setting up a clear structure. There will be less wasted time with chaos and confusion, and especially the younger players will be less apprehensive when they do hit the field.
Sing is not perfect. However, he is a winner and I have faith in him.
Share 49ersWebzone