LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

The Niners' Year is Coming....in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Spooner, you ruined your own argument. Yes, we would love to have a Berry as Db, and sure we need it. But you are talking about getting settled at QB, and to do that you have to have 2 (TWO) new starting OLs. Whether it be 2 firsts in the draft or a first in the draft and an all pro OT or OG on FA, who cares? We need to have a line that can protect our qb, and altho improved since going spread/ shotgun, it still is a necessity to protect QB first. I would roundly disagree with a DB pick before two OLs are in the bag, whether FA all pro or two draftees, both high.

you comment on 2nd round OLs: well, that's what's gotten into this fix to begin with. Our GM felt we could always get a fair to midlin' OG -OT in the 2nd rd. Well, that's what we got...fair to middlin', and our OL has been ineffective blocking for QB or RB. Picking up Staley at #28 in 1st was a blessing. But starting OLs need to come from the high first rd. You start trying to build your OL around 2nd rounders and you get...exactly what we have now. Can't block for frank, and can't pass protect. Bad combo.

Yeah, I hear you. I was writing under the assumption that we'd pick up an OG in free agency as well as a return man. That leaves us with Berry and an OT in the first round(probably Baluga) along with a corner in the second and a pass rusher in the 3rd. Of course, what we do in free agency will determine what we do in the draft but the smartest move would be to get an OG in free agency, preferably Mankins.

My core point is simple: I don't want to have to draft another QB when we have Alex Smith. That is my mind would be a HUGE mistake.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Here we go again! I've heard this way too many times!

No, I'm not saying Alex Smith shouldn't be starting. I think he is the future hands down and he is a damn good future. Stamp it.
MD...I hope you're right. If nothing else this season, hopefully Singletary has seen the light that Alex and our receiving corps are the strength of the offense...i.e. we have an identity. The off-season task is to compliment that with a more stable and deeper OL, and dramatically change/improve the RB corps. Gore looked totally lost in Seattle...maybe he just needs time to adjust, not sure yet. What I am sure about is we need much higher quality RB's who can run and catch. We lack any real speed out of the backfield, and that's not going to cut it. Those things are fixable with some astute FA signings and a very smart draft. This draft we need to make up for not getting Oher when Crabtree fell to us, as well as a top OG.

On defense, we still don't have the pass rusher we need...Brooks intrigues me, because I think he's still developing and could be good, given the opportunity. I also have hopes for Briggs...another guy who needs an opportunity. On the DL, I'd like to see what RJF can do...because Sopoaga's just average and that's not good enough. If Franklin bolts, which he may well do, I'd like to see Balmer get a crack at NT. If not, then draft one. I'd love to get Hughes in the draft...so would a lot of teams. We must have a great draft...to shore up areas of weakness. This time we have to definitely hit on OL, pass rusher and RB's. I know this is Goldson's first year starting at FS...but, he really needs to become a disrupter...so far, he's not. It never hurts to draft good CB's...if Clements doesn't renegotiate his contract, that's justification to go after Haden early. If he does, then get the best FS available.

IF we upgrade the OL and RB corps, there's absolutely no reason the offense shouldn't be explosive next year. It wouldn't hurt to draft a QB, either...unless they're content to keep Hill as a b/u. This is a good QB draft. I'm 100% behind Alex, but like RB corps, I want to see better depth.
This post seems awfully prophetic.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yes it does.
  • CalgaryNiner
  • Info N/A

No kidding. I starting reading it before I looked at the date posted. I was confused as to whether it was just a review of the season or a prediction before the season. Nice post!

I have my evil crystal ball locked in the closet.

Cheers.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Mad is always on the mark with these things. I think alot of people feel that 2010 is the year we make our move.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
MD...I hope you're right. If nothing else this season, hopefully Singletary has seen the light that Alex and our receiving corps are the strength of the offense...i.e. we have an identity. The off-season task is to compliment that with a more stable and deeper OL, and dramatically change/improve the RB corps. Gore looked totally lost in Seattle...maybe he just needs time to adjust, not sure yet. What I am sure about is we need much higher quality RB's who can run and catch. We lack any real speed out of the backfield, and that's not going to cut it. Those things are fixable with some astute FA signings and a very smart draft. This draft we need to make up for not getting Oher when Crabtree fell to us, as well as a top OG.

On defense, we still don't have the pass rusher we need...Brooks intrigues me, because I think he's still developing and could be good, given the opportunity. I also have hopes for Briggs...another guy who needs an opportunity. On the DL, I'd like to see what RJF can do...because Sopoaga's just average and that's not good enough. If Franklin bolts, which he may well do, I'd like to see Balmer get a crack at NT. If not, then draft one. I'd love to get Hughes in the draft...so would a lot of teams. We must have a great draft...to shore up areas of weakness. This time we have to definitely hit on OL, pass rusher and RB's. I know this is Goldson's first year starting at FS...but, he really needs to become a disrupter...so far, he's not. It never hurts to draft good CB's...if Clements doesn't renegotiate his contract, that's justification to go after Haden early. If he does, then get the best FS available.

IF we upgrade the OL and RB corps, there's absolutely no reason the offense shouldn't be explosive next year. It wouldn't hurt to draft a QB, either...unless they're content to keep Hill as a b/u. This is a good QB draft. I'm 100% behind Alex, but like RB corps, I want to see better depth.

I agree with about everything posted except the Sopo is average staement. He is really playing well since Mike went to a pure 3-4 and is NOT a liability, but rather is a strength for our team.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I disagree that we need to pick our OL in the first round. Guards are usually not picked in the first round (late first round if they are). While safety might not be greatest need, if Berry is there, we should definitely draft him since he is hands down the BPA. When it comes to our OT, hopefully one of our first round picks is for an OT.

One thing to consider is that this draft is supposed to have a lot of first round DT (according to Mel Kiper). The 49ers might end up drafting a DT in the first round, even though it isn't a high need.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Cheers.

MadDog.... whats the winning powerball numbers for 3 months from now lol?
amen to that. but i dont believe in the ghost of steve mariuchi. we havent won anything with mooch, just choked a few times in the playoffs. the ghost of old man seifert is more like it.
What sucks is waiting again for next season to see if Mad Dog's evil crystal ball works.

........sometimes I hate that I love football so much.

[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Dec 9, 2009 at 15:04:49 ]
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Cheers.

MadDog.... whats the winning powerball numbers for 3 months from now lol?

Give me a second. It's buried somewhere here under this big stack of money. I'll get back to you.
Originally posted by fryet:
I disagree that we need to pick our OL in the first round. Guards are usually not picked in the first round (late first round if they are). While safety might not be greatest need, if Berry is there, we should definitely draft him since he is hands down the BPA. When it comes to our OT, hopefully one of our first round picks is for an OT.

One thing to consider is that this draft is supposed to have a lot of first round DT (according to Mel Kiper). The 49ers might end up drafting a DT in the first round, even though it isn't a high need.

I tend to agree with the idea that the team needs to select the best player available, and with two first rounders, it really does allow the team to go for the best player with the top selection.

To me, there are a handful of no-brainers, like Crabtree last year. This year, Berry, Okung, Suh are guys who can make a huge difference, regardless of position.

In fact, I would not be disappointed if the team selected a Berry/Spiller combo with the first two picks. We still may not be able to solve the RT dilemma this season, but if you have two major difference-makers on the board, do you really want to pass on them so that the team can draft a RT?
Share 49ersWebzone