LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

The Niners' Year is Coming....in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
After the ten week mark, I'll hold to my preseason prediction of a 7-9 record, and state that the Niners will draft an OT and an OLB in the first round of this draft.

If your 7-9 prediction is correct that would have us with 2 picks in the 10-15 range. I hope you are correct, and we do draft an OT and OLB. Any prediction on which players we'll be drafting?
i would much rather break even at 8-8 or somehow pull off a 9-7
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
2025 is our year.

If we still suck after 2025 I want my money back, SanDiego49er!
Originally posted by matt49er:
After the ten week mark, I'll hold to my preseason prediction of a 7-9 record, and state that the Niners will draft an OT and an OLB in the first round of this draft.

If your 7-9 prediction is correct that would have us with 2 picks in the 10-15 range. I hope you are correct, and we do draft an OT and OLB. Any prediction on which players we'll be drafting?

I would rather finish 10-6.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
5) Dashon Goldson is going to have serious growing pains. While the board loves to bash Mark Roman (deservedly so in terms of forcing turnovers), Roman was a solid, steady and seasoned deep defender. Goldson gives playmaking ability, but expect a spike in deep home runs against the Niners. Spectacular versus steady. I'll take the risk on spectacular, but the Niners may need to visit the draft next season if Goldson does not work out.

So far, the Chiefs are the only NFL team to allow more pass plays covering 30 yards or longer.
[ Edited by znk916 on Nov 26, 2009 at 6:40 PM ]
Originally posted by znk916:
5) Dashon Goldson is going to have serious growing pains. While the board loves to bash Mark Roman (deservedly so in terms of forcing turnovers), Roman was a solid, steady and seasoned deep defender. Goldson gives playmaking ability, but expect a spike in deep home runs against the Niners. Spectacular versus steady. I'll take the risk on spectacular, but the Niners may need to visit the draft next season if Goldson does not work out.

So far, the Chiefs are the only NFL team to allow more pass plays covering 30 yards or longer.

Thanks for this link. While there is no doubt that Goldson has a ton of athletic ability, and can make big plays, seeing the number in this story is a bit time concern. I'm not sure this is something correctable. We'll soon see what the Niners think. If they believe Goldson is a liability, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nate Allen's name on the Niners' card in the second round.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Prediction the players at this point is really hard, not knowing which redshirt sophomores and juniors might be coming out. If all the big guns come out, and the Niners fit in that 10-15 area, they probably are getting the third or fourth OT on the board, maybe a Trent Williams of Oklahoma or Anthony Davis of Rutgers. As for a Will or Sam backer, the team would probably burn that second first rounder on a player like Ricky Sapp of Clemson, Brandon Graham of Michigan, etc. A sleeper completely off the radar scope, who could emerge as a shock first rounder is a kid from Murray State called Austen Lane, who is 6'6", 258 pounds, and reportedly has run a sub 4.60 forty. If he posts gigantic numbers at the combine, we could see a dramatic rise up the board.

Thotful list madDog, but i feel a whole lot less confident in our OL than you do. Written in stone? Whew, Staley. Rachal, still needs work but i agree will start. We do need a high class OL coach however. Our current one is lame, and has been since arrival. As for Baas, Heitman(maybe he was our best OL in '08, but that sure changed in '09), Marv, Snyder...wow, you are talking good subs, not quality OL. I maintain we need two first rd OT/OGs, assuming they are there. Then i would finally feel okay about our OL. Or, we could pick a FA like a Hutchinson, Faneca, Dielman, plus a first rd OL at draft. Our GM has to change his mind about OTs and OGs not being worth the money...they are.

Coaching: OL coach---out. HC, a man i admire and respect as HOF LB, motivational speaker, who has really motivated this team...well, i think he has gotten as far as he can go without previous experience as head coordinator of something...in his case, asst DC, then a couple yrs as DC. But as HC? i don't see us going all the way with bigMike, sad to say. It will have to be some bright star, like a red hot OC, or hopefully not DC, but not a retread like holmgren. Cowher maybe, Gruden maybe, but i would prefer someone who has not failed but has succeeded. I would love to see MJ go from QB coach to OC, see how he does, and go from there. Somewhere in the back of my mind, i could also see rathman as OC, then HC. But those are just a few of the unheralded OCs, QB coaches, DCs who are out there.

Much as i would like to , i just don't see bigmike taking us to glory...and it is solely on the basis of inexperience...the kind he should have gotten as asst DC , then DC, and finally HC. I think he will be a very good coach one day. But learning on the 49ers isn't my idea of a HC.
I think we finish 7-9...just don't see us beating 'Zona or Philly. Carolina will finish somewhere close to that...so, we're looking at a couple of mid-1st round picks. I want the best OT on the board (to make up for not getting Oher) and either Joe Haden or Eric Berry. Both could be gone by then, but with two 1st rounders, we could possibly trade up. If not, then grab Hughes.
For the record we only had 2 starting QB's this decade, Garcia and Smith. Garcia because he was productive enough to be a valid NFL starter, Smith because he has the pedigree and tools. I refuse to call those other guys NFL starting QB's, they were cheap fillers

so we only had 2

[ Edited by danimal on Dec 8, 2009 at 15:32:01 ]

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thotful list madDog, but i feel a whole lot less confident in our OL than you do. Written in stone? Whew, Staley. Rachal, still needs work but i agree will start. We do need a high class OL coach however. Our current one is lame, and has been since arrival. As for Baas, Heitman(maybe he was our best OL in '08, but that sure changed in '09), Marv, Snyder...wow, you are talking good subs, not quality OL. I maintain we need two first rd OT/OGs, assuming they are there. Then i would finally feel okay about our OL. Or, we could pick a FA like a Hutchinson, Faneca, Dielman, plus a first rd OL at draft. Our GM has to change his mind about OTs and OGs not being worth the money...they are.

Coaching: OL coach---out. HC, a man i admire and respect as HOF LB, motivational speaker, who has really motivated this team...well, i think he has gotten as far as he can go without previous experience as head coordinator of something...in his case, asst DC, then a couple yrs as DC. But as HC? i don't see us going all the way with bigMike, sad to say. It will have to be some bright star, like a red hot OC, or hopefully not DC, but not a retread like holmgren. Cowher maybe, Gruden maybe, but i would prefer someone who has not failed but has succeeded. I would love to see MJ go from QB coach to OC, see how he does, and go from there. Somewhere in the back of my mind, i could also see rathman as OC, then HC. But those are just a few of the unheralded OCs, QB coaches, DCs who are out there.

Much as i would like to , i just don't see bigmike taking us to glory...and it is solely on the basis of inexperience...the kind he should have gotten as asst DC , then DC, and finally HC. I think he will be a very good coach one day. But learning on the 49ers isn't my idea of a HC.

Agreed that our GM must make the OL a priority. A high draft on a RT is a no brainer to me. The experiment with M. Smith and Snyder just hasn't worked out. And an experienced and studly LG would also be a huge bonus.

I'm just not sure there is a big time offensive guard who will be on the market this year. If so, I have no problem begging for GM, whoever it is in 2010, to back up the pick-up truck full of money.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think we finish 7-9...just don't see us beating 'Zona or Philly. Carolina will finish somewhere close to that...so, we're looking at a couple of mid-1st round picks. I want the best OT on the board (to make up for not getting Oher) and either Joe Haden or Eric Berry. Both could be gone by then, but with two 1st rounders, we could possibly trade up. If not, then grab Hughes.

Carolina has four tough opponents to play to end the season:
* At Patriots
* Home vs. Vikings
* At NYG
* Home vs. Saints

I'll say they pick up one of those games, and finish 6-10. That pretty much puts them in place to finish in the 8-10th area, depending on the tiebreaker of opponent's winning %.

For the record, I think the Niners will get the Panthers' pick in the 9th overall spot.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 8, 2009 at 15:44:41 ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Carolina has four tough opponents to play to end the season:
* At Patriots
* Home vs. Vikings
* At NYG
* Home vs. Saints

I'll say they pick up one of those games, and finish 6-10. That pretty much puts them in place to finish in the 8-10th area, depending on the tiebreaker of opponent's winning %.

For the record, I think the Niners will get the Panthers' pick in the 9th overall spot.

I think Carolina is going to give us the 7th pick in the draft. I don't see them winning another game. If we can get Eric Berry that would solve most of our secondary problems. Eric Berry is to the secondary what Patrick Willis is to the linebackers.

As for our record, I am hoping we finish strong. I don't want to lose another game and I don't care where we draft if we get Berry because there are OT's to be had with the second pick and our team needs momentum going into the off season. What I don't want to see is our coaching staff second guessing the shotgun because our team cannot function in any other formation due to lack of OLine.

I am pleased at Alex Smith's progression but if our staff screws up against AZ the consequences could be dire. In other words, Alex Smith HAS to have a good game win lose or draw against AZ to solidify his starting in 2010 credentials. I thought the games prior would be enough but now I'm thinking that THIS is the game he needs to shine after hearing Sing and the rest of the media talk. It's going to be tough too because AZ is going to prepare for Alex Smith and the shotgun.

This is the most crucial piece of our development: a franchise QB. If Smith stumbles we're screwed for 2010. If he shines we are sitting pretty. Even the haters of Smith have to see that the last 4 games are SO crucial to 2010.

Here we go again! I've heard this way too many times!

Spooner, you ruined your own argument. Yes, we would love to have a Berry as Db, and sure we need it. But you are talking about getting settled at QB, and to do that you have to have 2 (TWO) new starting OLs. Whether it be 2 firsts in the draft or a first in the draft and an all pro OT or OG on FA, who cares? We need to have a line that can protect our qb, and altho improved since going spread/ shotgun, it still is a necessity to protect QB first. I would roundly disagree with a DB pick before two OLs are in the bag, whether FA all pro or two draftees, both high.

you comment on 2nd round OLs: well, that's what's gotten into this fix to begin with. Our GM felt we could always get a fair to midlin' OG -OT in the 2nd rd. Well, that's what we got...fair to middlin', and our OL has been ineffective blocking for QB or RB. Picking up Staley at #28 in 1st was a blessing. But starting OLs need to come from the high first rd. You start trying to build your OL around 2nd rounders and you get...exactly what we have now. Can't block for frank, and can't pass protect. Bad combo.
Share 49ersWebzone