There are 224 users in the forums

Polling the WZ - San Francisco or Santa Clara?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Polling the WZ - San Francisco or Santa Clara?

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I can honestly believe that the 49ers could be bluffing to get a better deal out of SF.

You know, I was hoping the same thing.

I think before it's all said and done, a few politicians who are avid 49er fans might step in and make the team an offer it can't refuse.

I think it's a real good situation if you're the 49ers, especially if that Santa Clara vote passes. The likelyhood of a bidding war would increase if the team does well in '09. Which might be what the 49ers planned from the beginning.

Win, and everything will fall into place.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
San Francisco is in a central location, by moving the stadium to South Bay it is good for South Bay fans. If you live north of the GG Bridge, say San Rafael or Santa Rosa, you are screwed. If you live in the East Bay you are screwed, if you live in SF, SSF, Daly City you are screwed. Who cares if there is easy parking, there is easy parking in the Stockton, why not move there?

What you are saying couldn't be further from the truth. IF you live in the East Bay like I do, a simple shot down 880 is much easier than getting across the bay to SSF. Anyone coming from the Stockton area can just as easily go south instead of getting across the bay and then up to SSF. If SF residents can't drive the 40 minutes like the rest of us have been doing all our lives, then maybe it's their fanhood that should be questioned.

As far as easy parking, it's way more than just that. Despite the fact that it is just a huge open space already waiting for something to be built on it, almost every single public transportation already goes right to the doorstep. I can literally walk 1/4 mile from my house and take a train there. It would take years and years just to come up with plans to get SF going, let alone getting them approved and voted on and built.

I couldn't care less about the city of SC. I'm SF all the way, but they are the ones screwing us here with their lack of serious effort to make something happen. I've had season tickets for over a decade and I'm tired of my same ol' broken seat with thin metal armrests that don't have a cup holder. When do people start to realize that we as fans deserve a better place to watch our team play?
I say move the team to Santa Clara. San Francisco's elected officials and its citizens have had ample opportunity to do right by the team and have chosen not to. They act like they don't even wanna do maintainence to Candlestick, although we all know its rotting away. Santa Clara seems to be a better site for the team and its fans. Hopefully the Santa Clara voters will see it this way and vote for it.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I didn't see a poll out there to see what the general opinion on the idea of the Niners relocating to Santa Clara. Now that the move has picked up some steam, we're seeing more and more opposition from the City of San Francisco and others to somehow stop the move.

It brings me back to when the SF Giants were seriously considering a move to Tampa Bay in the mid nineties. I could have sworn Tampa Bay was all but a done deal until Magowan came to the rescue.

Santa Clara almost seems to be a done deal at this point as well. It makes me wonder where this pouring support to keep the team in SF was a couple of years ago.

My preference would be to keep them in SF. I'm a hard core SF fan in general. I wouldn't dislike the team anymore or less if they moved to Santa Clara, as long as they keep SF as their namesake. Where do you stand on this likely move?

im not from the city, and i hate the fact that they might leave sf. how you guys dont care blows my mind. the story of the san francisco 49ers. becomes history... the rings, cant have 6 the sf 49ers had 5. santa clara will be at 1. im in shock no one cares. the one thing I wait year around for will not be the same, for supposedly less traffic and an equelly nice stadium. and lose the history the foundation of our niners. please......
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I didn't see a poll out there to see what the general opinion on the idea of the Niners relocating to Santa Clara. Now that the move has picked up some steam, we're seeing more and more opposition from the City of San Francisco and others to somehow stop the move.

It brings me back to when the SF Giants were seriously considering a move to Tampa Bay in the mid nineties. I could have sworn Tampa Bay was all but a done deal until Magowan came to the rescue.

Santa Clara almost seems to be a done deal at this point as well. It makes me wonder where this pouring support to keep the team in SF was a couple of years ago.

My preference would be to keep them in SF. I'm a hard core SF fan in general. I wouldn't dislike the team anymore or less if they moved to Santa Clara, as long as they keep SF as their namesake. Where do you stand on this likely move?

im not from the city, and i hate the fact that they might leave sf. how you guys dont care blows my mind. the story of the san francisco 49ers. becomes history... the rings, cant have 6 the sf 49ers had 5. santa clara will be at 1. im in shock no one cares. the one thing I wait year around for will not be the same, for supposedly less traffic and an equelly nice stadium. and lose the history the foundation of our niners. please......

but i guess there is a positive side we will have stayed undefeated in super bowls.
If you actually live in the city there's no way you can't vote San Francisco on this one. Have some city pride. Even if Hunter's point isn't the prettiest part of the city (even though it should be much nicer after this construction, and the bay view has lots of natural beauty), it's still MY city and the 49ers should stay in it.

Plus for me, who's a 17 year old senior in high school, who just got season tickets for my first time ($250 for the whole season was a deal I couldn't pass up on), being able to hop on muni for $0.50 an get to the game in 45 minutes or less is invaluable. I don't have the money to pay $25 a game to park.
Originally posted by jonomax:
If you actually live in the city there's no way you can't vote San Francisco on this one. Have some city pride. Even if Hunter's point isn't the prettiest part of the city (even though it should be much nicer after this construction, and the bay view has lots of natural beauty), it's still MY city and the 49ers should stay in it.

Plus for me, who's a 17 year old senior in high school, who just got season tickets for my first time ($250 for the whole season was a deal I couldn't pass up on), being able to hop on muni for $0.50 an get to the game in 45 minutes or less is invaluable. I don't have the money to pay $25 a game to park.

I know you are 17, but the people who have elected the politicians that run San Francisco ought to be embarrased. Again, they back a .500 baseball team, but do nothing but stonewall or offer crap for a team that has won 5 superbowls.

For the person who suggested that SF politicians that are fans would get something going, Frank Jordan is retired.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

I know you are 17, but the people who have elected the politicians that run San Francisco ought to be embarrased. Again, they back a .500 baseball team, but do nothing but stonewall or offer crap for a team that has won 5 superbowls.

For the person who suggested that SF politicians that are fans would get something going, Frank Jordan is retired.

In fairness to the City, there was a deal in place, including City money for a new stadium attached to a mall at the current Candlestick site. If Eddie D didn't get pinched for bribing the Governor of Louisianna the Niners are probably playing there now.

But that was then.

You can take BART and then a train right to the door step of the SC site for less than that.
  • Nyner
Stay in San Fran....i don't know what the problem is. Just build it. Doesn't really matter what the people think. Here in Washington they wanted to be a new stadium for the Mariners.People voted it down,they built it anyway.That's the way it's done today.Just like your i87 a few years ago.People voted for it they overturned it.So just build the stadium and keep the Niners. If they do move to Santa Clara it would not be appropriate to keep the SF. How could they be the San Francisco 49er's if they're not from SF.....just my opin.

Originally posted by Nyner:
Stay in San Fran....i don't know what the problem is. Just build it. Doesn't really matter what the people think. Here in Washington they wanted to be a new stadium for the Mariners.People voted it down,they built it anyway.That's the way it's done today.Just like your i87 a few years ago.People voted for it they overturned it.So just build the stadium and keep the Niners. If they do move to Santa Clara it would not be appropriate to keep the SF. How could they be the San Francisco 49er's if they're not from SF.....just my opin.

Dallas played in Irving, now in Arlington, both NY teams play in Jersey, the Redskins don't play in DC, Buffalo doesn't play in Buffalo.

How can those teams have a team's name and not play in that city or state (don't say history since the Giants and Redskins have more history then the 49ers).

Also, where are they going to build a stadium. Its not that simple. The real estate in SF to build a 70k+ stadium is hard to come by. Its not like there's big giant vacant lots just sitting around the city waiting for a stadium to be built.

If there was, the 49ers would have had a stadium a long time ago.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
This is a dumb question. A better question would have been SF or LA, or SF or Siberia.

Since the a**hol** who run San Francisco can do nothing better than watch them leave in favor of an at best .500 baseball team, what's wrong with having the stadium closer to the fan base.

Wrong, .551 baseball team. Top 6 in baseball, top 3 in NL. Educate yourself.

In addition, when the Giants' stadium was approved and finalized I don't think that any of the current SF government was sitting then. Mayor, Board of Supervisors, the whole gang. I'm not defending either group, but while the current Board and Mayor haven't done sh*t for the 9ers, they're not working "in favor" of anything the Giants are trying to do. The stadium is already built and the hard work, on the city's part, is done. All they have to do is show up. Sadly that's a recurring theme with many of them. The question for you is: do you want a stadium in 5 years or 10+ years? In 2019, what the hell will the 'Stick look like? That's a severe waste of money. I'm an SF resident and wish that weren't the case, but it is. We need a new stadium.
  • G_Rus
  • Info N/A
I just want a nice stadium that will be built somewhere in my lifetime. 49ers do belong in SF but a new stadium in SF will never happen.....and Fluck Gavin!
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
i want to go to a game without having to spend 2 hours trying to leave
THE team should not move.. If they do move and the f**king mayor makes them change thier name to SANTA CLARA 49ERS I will DEFICARE my pants
Share 49ersWebzone