LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Biggest Concern for the 2009 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest Concern for the 2009 Season

• carl
  • Veteran
Quarterback Position
Shaun Hill will be our starter and I'm happy with that.

Marvel Smith's Health
If we get 8 games with a pro bowl RT on the cheap without a long term commitment, I'll be very happy.

Walt Harris' Replacement
Dre Bly has proven that he can play. I don't trust Denver stats, especially since they replaced their DC with Nolan. And CB's learning a new playbook isn't like a QB. He'll do fine.

Pass-Rush Ability
Haralson is under rated. Lawson I am concerned about but now that he's healthy and has another threat on the other side of the line, things should open up a bit more for him. Plus we drafted Lawson to be a pass rush threat, may as well try it out.

Michael Crabtree's Foot
I'm going to worry about Crabtree next year. We have plenty of depth at WR this year, there is no need to rush him onto the field. Especially when there are health concerns. No harm in letting his foot heal. If he gets 10 catches this season, I'll be happy. But he was drafted in the 1st, he'll probably get in as our #3 receiver, at least #4 and get 20-50 catches this season.

My real concern is new OC Raye. His record is spotty and he hasn't called plays in a long long time... probably for a good reason I'm assuming. And it's his first year here, should be interesting to see how long it takes the team to get comfortable with the play book. But I am looking forward to seeing us run between the tackles with Norris leading the way. Plus I have a feeling that VD is going to be used a lot more this year. Maybe not running routes but more like getting him into open space, turned around looking at the QB so he can catch the ball and letting him build up some steam before he gets tackled... this could be his last chance to prove he can be a passing threat.
1. Pass rush

2. Fear of generic offense (which obviously includes the QB question)

3. Overall, the team may be decent but dull and without the ability to do more than to keep low-scoring games close with both better and worse teams.

4. If 3 proves to be true, management gets stubborn and doesn't make a change.
Right now it's OC's play calling but I hope he proves my fears wrong bigtime...
1. RT (offensive line)
2. Pass rush
3. QB I would like for Alex to start, but only if he earns it

Everything starts up front in football
I voted pass rush ability, that and staying healhy are the keys to success for this team.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
1. RT (offensive line)
2. Pass rush
3. QB I would like for Alex to start, but only if he earns it

Everything starts up front in football

Yep. I would throw in our secondary as 3b
shouldnt this thread be merged with "how many sacks will manny lawson get this year?" hahahha
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
IS marvel smith even that good? u talk about him like he a god on the right side or something

A god? . . . . not quite . . . . just a major upgrade if he's on the field. If we're really lucky he'll be rejuvenated by the change of scenery and kick some azz for 16 games.

Position: RT
Starts: 16
Total Offense: #3
Total Rushing: #1

Position: LT
Starts: 6
Total Offense: #22
Total Rushing: #31

2004 (Pro Bowl)
Total Offense: #16
Total Rushing: #2

Starts: 12
Total Offense: #15
Total Rushing: #5

Total Offense: #7
Total Rushing: #10

Starts: 12
Total Offense: #17
Total Rushing: #3

Very nice find! Here's to hoping he is healthy
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Execution.

Whine about coaches all you want. But the players need to make the plays they're given.

--Don't give up the sack.
--Don't drop the stinking ball.
--Tackle the bum.
--Knock the glamour boy on his keister.

If we don't execute, it's the same old mediocre slop ball.

If we execute, we're good.

Go Niner's!!!

[ Edited by WestCoastNut on Jul 25, 2009 at 09:53:23 ]
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
--

[ Edited by WestCoastNut on Jul 25, 2009 at 09:52:59 ]

Damn everybody's biggest fear has come true
The pass rush is non existant

Yep 3 areas of concern;
1) Pass rush, even with the blitzes was still weak to non-existant.

2)QB play(not counting Davis as he palyed against scrubs and looked decent), I am talking about Hill and Smith, very uninspring performances. Alex holds the ball too long, is late and behind or over the receivers on his throws.
MS needs to make a decision quickly and stay with whoever it is as their is no other options out there at this point. Not sure what Huard would bring to the table?

3)Wide Receivers, but #2 could be and probably is the reason for that?

Well we'll see what happens in Big D next Saturday, I hope we don't get creamed and hold our own?
QB
OL Health
Pass Rush
Blown Coverages
Catching the Ball
  • rob28
  • Veteran
the no. 1 concern is our terrible qb's. the pass rush will be the same as last year if not worse. all in all hears to a top 10 draft pick next year!!!
Originally posted by rob28:
the no. 1 concern is our terrible qb's. the pass rush will be the same as last year if not worse. all in all hears to a top 10 draft pick next year!!!

Their are teams out there with far worse QB situations

Hill will do just fine
the burden is not going to fall on his shoulders this season
a strong running game will ease of pressure of the QB this season
so quit crying!!!!!

GORE+COFFEE+SHEETS=DYMANIC TRIO
Share 49ersWebzone