Shop Find 49ers gear online

Biggest Concern for the 2009 Season

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

I think my order would be:

1a) QB Position
1b) Pass Rush Ability
2) Walt Harris' Replacement
3) Marvel Smith's Health

I'm honestly not even worried about Crabtree's foot.

What he said.
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
IS marvel smith even that good? u talk about him like he a god on the right side or something

A god? . . . . not quite . . . . just a major upgrade if he's on the field. If we're really lucky he'll be rejuvenated by the change of scenery and kick some azz for 16 games.

Position: RT
Starts: 16
Total Offense: #3
Total Rushing: #1

Position: LT
Starts: 6
Total Offense: #22
Total Rushing: #31

2004 (Pro Bowl)
Total Offense: #16
Total Rushing: #2

Starts: 12
Total Offense: #15
Total Rushing: #5

Total Offense: #7
Total Rushing: #10

Starts: 12
Total Offense: #17
Total Rushing: #3
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Qb and its not close. at this point we have so much offensive talent on this team that bad qb play will hold us back. before, we didnt have much talent to hold back. but now our collection of talent is quite impressive with morgan, crab, bruce, coffee added to davis, gore, and norris. i feel like our ol is talented enough to keep guys off the qb. now its up to smith and hill to show they can actually win games when it matters.
I disagree. If Hill starts, I think we'll be just fine. Hill is not the kinda guy who is going to carry the offense on his shoulders, BUT he does have the talent around him to mask some of his shortcomings. If it's Smith, then i would have some doubts. To answer the question: passrusher. -9fA

well im glad youre confident but im not. hes won but mostly only vs bad teams and im worried his arm is going to be unable to take advantage of deep shots defenses are going to be willing to give us now that they have game film on him and a legit scouting report. smith is more talented but obviously his play hasnt been confidence inspiring and hd has question marks too.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Qb and its not close. at this point we have so much offensive talent on this team that bad qb play will hold us back. before, we didnt have much talent to hold back. but now our collection of talent is quite impressive with morgan, crab, bruce, coffee added to davis, gore, and norris. i feel like our ol is talented enough to keep guys off the qb. now its up to smith and hill to show they can actually win games when it matters.
I disagree. If Hill starts, I think we'll be just fine. Hill is not the kinda guy who is going to carry the offense on his shoulders, BUT he does have the talent around him to mask some of his shortcomings. If it's Smith, then i would have some doubts. To answer the question: passrusher. -9fA

well im glad youre confident but im not. hes won but mostly only vs bad teams and im worried his arm is going to be unable to take advantage of deep shots defenses are going to be willing to give us now that they have game film on him and a legit scouting report. smith is more talented but obviously his play hasnt been confidence inspiring and hd has question marks too.

Ah, see I do have question marks but just not to the extent that you have.

Of course Hill has won against mostly 'bad' teams. I guess if we beat them then they must be a worse team then us right?

I'm not worried about his arm strength. It isn't as great as Alex's but it can get the job done. I recall him being able to throw the deep ball reasonably well. Take a look back at the home Rams game.

-9fA
I dunno you know, thats what i thought too was that his noodle arm wasnt a big deal. but then in that si article, theres the executive producer or whatever for state farm total access and that guy DOES actually have the same film the coaches do. he said that hills arm WAS limiting our offense. im usually not that easily swayed but im willing to trust someone with a better view who has been around the game for twice as long as i have really so im giving that guy the benefit of the doubt.
my biggest concern is the same as its been since nolan took over... the entire offense. and now this raye.. it makes me extra worried that we will have a functional offense. the guy doesnt have a good history. hopefully things click this year. cross your fingers!
since 2009 is a lost cause, Crabs foot is my biggest concern because I want a typical rookie WR development to occur
I see most people think it's between the pass rush and QB position on the poll.. Well, as long as Shaun Hill wins the QB competition, we'll be OK at QB. Hell, if Alex Smith wins it, that might mean that he is actually going to outperform Shaun Hill, which would make Smith a pretty good QB. So I think we'll be OK since we won't be asking our QB to be like Peyton Manning.

The biggest concern is and should be the pass rush. We don't have one. We need one. The coaches think we can generate one with the people we have, but if they're wrong then we are in big trouble.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
will niner talk threads get repetitive?

Could you repeat the question please?
Originally posted by danimal:
since 2009 is a lost cause, Crabs foot is my biggest concern because I want a typical rookie WR development to occur

Wow, the last four or five years have really gotten to fans haven't they? It's July... and the 2009 season is a "lost cause." Ooooookaaaay.

-9fA
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Wow, the last four or five years have really gotten to fans haven't they? It's July... and the 2009 season is a "lost cause." Ooooookaaaay.

for the record, I have correctly predicted the season as being a lost cause since 2004.

So if being a pessimist = 100% accuracy, which of course = realism.....

Then I am fine with being called a pessimist. Teams without a good QB nor a dominant defense don't do well. Its not rocket science.
[ Edited by danimal on Jul 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM ]

for the record, I have correctly predicted the season as being a lost cause since 2004.

Then I am fine with being called a pessimist. Teams without a good QB nor a dominant defense don't do well. Its not rocket science.

I'm not arguing with you. I understand where you're coming from. I'm just hoping one of these days you'll be wrong. One of these seasons, you're going to be wrong. Maybe this year.

I predict we'll have at least a 9-7 record and make the playoffs. Your streak will be history because we will only get better the next couple of years.
[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Jul 18, 2009 at 6:59 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
1. The QB position, we've got to get that solved. No way can we get to the playoffs this year or next if we're still trying to figure out who our QB is at week 10.

2. Pass rush, we failed to address this in the draft and but did somewhat in free agency. And in no way am I gonna think Marques Harris solves our problems at OLB. And did I forget to mention who the heck do we have in back of Lawson, Haralson and Harris....oh that's right Ahmad Brooks, who failed to see the field even after Singletary took over.

3. FS is still a big concern, even with Goldson starting. But lets hope he can produce like the way he's been doing in training camp. But I'd still like to draft Taylor Mays or Eric Berry next year, regardless of how Goldson plays (unless hes named to his first Pro Bowl of course).
Share 49ersWebzone