LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

The San Francisco Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This article makes me sick. Never should anyone compare our team to the hated cowboys.
A total BS article. It made no sense.
Link?
Niner Insider? I really hope nobody pays to read that crapfest.
I didn't read the whole thing cuz I could tell it was going to be annoying comparing every single player on the roster...

That being said I am fine with us winning 3 Superbowls in the next few years! Dallas turned into a train wreck by the late nineties but for about 5 or 6 years the were the best franchise in the league.
Originally posted by aman49:
Link?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=43624
I kinda of get what they are trying to say but it isn't very smart comparisons. They could have came up with something better
f%#k the cowboys!
What a load of horses**t...
I guess I don't understand why there is so much anger at the comparison. Raye's system is admittedly similar to Norv Turner. The line they're building is big and bruising and uses a very similar blocking scheme. Frank Gore IS a very similar runner in that he hits the holes hard, but has moves to make DB's whiff on the tackles. They'll use the blocking back just like the Cowboys did. I think Michael Irvin is the best comparison for Crabtree.

I've always thought they were trying to build an early to mid 90's Cowboys-like offense and a early 00's Ravens-like setup for the defense. I can't stand the Cowboys either, just like most long-time Niner fans, but let's be honest - that early to mid-90's Cowboys team was a great team.

• WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
the 49ers compare to no one. our standard is our own domination. trying to get a stadium? what's that? so have every team in the league. ken norton? he came to a better team.
Lynch is a hack. Maybe the worst the Chron's 49ers coverage has to offer. Crumpacker, Dickey, Knapp........Ugh.

He could have picked any one of scores of teams throughout NFL history and made the exact same very thin comparisons and arguments. I think he chose the Cowboys just to stir up emotions in people and get them to read his second rate excuse of a "blog". I wouldn't mind if the Chronicle dumped its 49ers beat coverage all together, they should just syndicate Matt and Matt.
Sorry, but if you check with the Matt's, you'll find that they both agree that the Niners are going with an offense not unlike the early to mid-90's Cowboys. I hate to remind everyone, but few people had problems last year with Martz trying to make the Niners into the early 00's Rams. Just because you're emulating another system doesn't mean you lose your identity as a franchise. It just means you're using a different offensive or defensive philosophy right now than coaches have used in the past.

And please keep in mind that just because Walsh's system worked in the 80's doesn't mean it would work as well today. He was very disturbed when visiting a Marriucci-run practice because he recognized that the new coach was running some of his plays just as he did without any changes. Strategy was and is in a constant state of flux depending on personnel, the rules, the trends, etc.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Sorry, but if you check with the Matt's, you'll find that they both agree that the Niners are going with an offense not unlike the early to mid-90's Cowboys. I hate to remind everyone, but few people had problems last year with Martz trying to make the Niners into the early 00's Rams. Just because you're emulating another system doesn't mean you lose your identity as a franchise. It just means you're using a different offensive or defensive philosophy right now than coaches have used in the past.

And please keep in mind that just because Walsh's system worked in the 80's doesn't mean it would work as well today. He was very disturbed when visiting a Marriucci-run practice because he recognized that the new coach was running some of his plays just as he did without any changes. Strategy was and is in a constant state of flux depending on personnel, the rules, the trends, etc.

True enough . . . Exhibit A . . . Jimmy Raye . . . whose offensive philosophy most closely mirrors that of Norv Turner . . . who was in fact the OC for those dominant Cowboy teams under JJ.

EDIT .. Which I just noticed that you posted already.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jul 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I guess I don't understand why there is so much anger at the comparison. Raye's system is admittedly similar to Norv Turner. The line they're building is big and bruising and uses a very similar blocking scheme. Frank Gore IS a very similar runner in that he hits the holes hard, but has moves to make DB's whiff on the tackles. They'll use the blocking back just like the Cowboys did. I think Michael Irvin is the best comparison for Crabtree.

I've always thought they were trying to build an early to mid 90's Cowboys-like offense and a early 00's Ravens-like setup for the defense. I can't stand the Cowboys either, just like most long-time Niner fans, but let's be honest - that early to mid-90's Cowboys team was a great team.

I agree with that. It was most of the comparasions of players is what threw me off. But after re reading teh article what you said is basically what i got out of it. I think folks hate the cowboys so much that they didn't really read it.
Share 49ersWebzone