LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All this talk about comparisons, I can't understand how some people can not see this one ........

Originally posted by 49er4eva:
All this talk about comparisons, I can't understand how some people can not see this one ........

...Great comparison...looks like the same qb in two different uniforms. Only problem is Smith has somehow managed to milk 5 yrs-worth of salary for doing nothing while the Chargers booted Leaf after only 2.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Thanks to Ninertico for pointing out what should be common knowledge among Niner fans - that sometimes good coaches set up competition for the starting QB position. I mean really - if Walsh can bring in a guy to compete with the greatest QB in the team's history, Singletary can be given the benefit of the doubt here with respect to a competition for this position this season.

And, as someone who feels Shaun Hill should be respected for winning games and being a very good team manager, and by virtue of that should be assumed the starter at the beginning of competition, I still don't see why anyone thinks he should simply be handed the job. He's not a franchise QB, yet. If he starts, plays most of the season and takes the team to the playoffs, yes, he's the franchise QB. But, he hasn't done that yet.

I really wish zoners would stop making any remote connection between perhaps the worst era in Niners history to the Golden Age. WHy even bring that up homie? All it does is disrespect Joe and Steve.

Alex Smith and Shaun Hill are opposites end of the spectum compared to Joe and Steve. That should be obvious to any Niner fan.

Dan, don't bother. Brodie loves to believe that MS is the second coming of Bill Walsh and takes every opportunity to compare and even EQUATE the two eras and MS to Walsh so it makes sense that he would extend it to the qbs. I agree with you 100%.

Dude, I love the way your mind works calling out Brodie like that. Just because he makes comparisons of the HC process, you dovetail your innuendo to circumvent his point.
Heck man, you believe Coach Mike Singletary is the epitome of HC failure where there is no precedent for it. Yup when I think of failure, I think of Coach S.

Give the man some time. Then pop off! Until then, I call shenanigans...

Hey hey, I'm giving him all season to stink it up so I'm in no hurry. However, if he gets the team to at least 10-6 I'll be one of the first ones here eating crow and praising him for a job well done b/c I'd rather the team do well then my prediction prove correct. Said it dozens of times in here before. Can't say I've seen the same promise from the supporters if they end up being totally wrong about the motivating LB coach.
Originally posted by indianajim:
How are the current crop of coaches better for Smith then the famed qb guru's in Turner and Martz he had at his disposal before?? They couldn't even "fix" him. Some of you wishful thinkers will depart from reality and say anything to perpetuate the dream that Smith can magically turn into a functional qb 5 yrs after his arrival to the NFL. Why not give him another 5 yrs to do so...........

Turner totally turned him around after his disastrous rookie campaign. You know, a season he shouldn't have played. Even Carson Palmer didn't play until year 2. Turner is the best coach he's had.

Martz ran a sham of a QB competition, where he pushed J.T. O'Sullivan ahead of Smith and Hill FOR HIS OWN SAKE. He did not develop anyone, and failed to utilize Gore or Davis like he should have. For those reasons he's not as good, I think, as Raye and Johnson are going to be.

And besides, it's the HEAD COACH that changes everything for me. The head coach knows how to let the Coordinators do their job, and knows how to utilize players effectively, and knows how to lead, something Nolan never could. In my opinion, the current coaches under Singletary will be better than past coaches under Nolan.

OK, so at least you acknowledge that, in fact, Turner was the best coach/qb guru he's had rather than the current crop of coaches. You're welcome. What you think of Martz's qb competition has nothing to do with his legitimate status as a famed qb guru -- he remains highly regarded as such around the league as much as you'd like to diminish and trivialize that fact.

FYI, JTO was the best choice at the time so MM made the correct decision whether he favored him or not. This has been discussed at length by several fans here and is not up for debate so if you're just repeating what you've read from other Martz-haters then you should probably stop that. It makes your noob status stand out even more. For any fan to think that Smith or Hill should've started over JTO who outplayed both of them and knew the system the best (regardless of the ultimate outcome) proves that fan has no idea what they're talking about.

Am I the only one here who remember's JTO gunslinging his way to a 7th ranked offense early on before OL protection broke down forcing him to run for his life almost every play?? Ya know, the selective amnesia is really becoming an epidemic in here.

You're entitled to your opinion but to claim in any way that MS is qualified to make ANY offensive decisions let alone those regarding the qbs is absurd. Comparing Martz's resume to that of Raye's does not support your opinion either. I'd have to take a look at Johnson's to say the same about him but something tells me he's not in the same league as Martz either.

I checked out Martz's career OC/HC stats when he was first hired and, if I remember correctly, the numbers were impressive throughout his time with the Rams -- yes including the year he was fired. As a qb guru, his positive influence on Warner, Bulger, Kitna and Hill last year was obvious and legitimate. It's unfortunate that Smith couldn't have more time with him but, like Turner before him, even Martz realized that he was a disaster which is why he dismissed him as a possible starter almost immediately.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:43 PM ]
How are the current crop of coaches better for Smith then the famed qb guru's in Turner and Martz he had at his disposal before?? They couldn't even "fix" him. Some of you wishful thinkers will depart from reality and say anything to perpetuate the dream that Smith can magically turn into a functional qb 5 yrs after his arrival to the NFL. Why not give him another 5 yrs to do so...........

Turner totally turned him around after his disastrous rookie campaign. You know, a season he shouldn't have played. Even Carson Palmer didn't play until year 2. Turner is the best coach he's had.

Martz ran a sham of a QB competition, where he pushed J.T. O'Sullivan ahead of Smith and Hill FOR HIS OWN SAKE. He did not develop anyone, and failed to utilize Gore or Davis like he should have. For those reasons he's not as good, I think, as Raye and Johnson are going to be.

And besides, it's the HEAD COACH that changes everything for me. The head coach knows how to let the Coordinators do their job, and knows how to utilize players effectively, and knows how to lead, something Nolan never could. In my opinion, the current coaches under Singletary will be better than past coaches under Nolan.

OK, so at least you acknowledge that, in fact, Turner was the best coach/qb guru he's had rather than the current crop of coaches. You're welcome. What you think of Martz's qb competition has nothing to do with his legitimate status as a famed qb guru -- he remains highly regarded as such around the league as much as you'd like to diminish and trivialize that fact.

FYI, JTO was the best choice at the time so MM made the correct decision whether he favored him or not. This has been discussed at length by several fans here and is not up for debate so if you're just repeating what you've read from other Martz-haters then you should probably stop that. It makes your noob status stand out even more. For any fan to think that Smith or Hill should've started over JTO who outplayed both of them and knew the system the best (regardless of the ultimate outcome) proves that fan has no idea what they're talking about.

Am I the only one here who remember's JTO gunslinging his way to a 7th ranked offense early on before OL protection broke down forcing him to run for his life almost every play?? Ya know, the selective amnesia is really becoming an epidemic in here.

You're entitled to your opinion but to claim in any way that MS is qualified to make ANY offensive decisions let alone those regarding the qbs is absurd. Comparing Martz's resume to that of Raye's does not support your opinion either. I'd have to take a look at Johnson's to say the same about him but something tells me he's not in the same league as Martz either.

I checked out Martz's career OC/HC stats when he was first hired and, if I remember correctly, the numbers were impressive throughout his time with the Rams -- yes including the year he was fired. As a qb guru, his positive influence on Warner, Bulger, Kitna and Hill last year was obvious and legitimate. It's unfortunate that Smith couldn't have more time with him but, like Turner before him, even Martz realized that he was a disaster which is why he dismissed him as a possible starter almost immediately.

Not trying to argue! But smith still wasn't healed. Matter a fact and it is a fact. The wire that held his shoulder in place actually made em f**k up his shoulder again. Hence the 2nd surgery!

Hate to admit it but in the beginning jto seemed the best choice. But last yr seemed more disaster having to start jto! Hill soaked up the o nicely tho and well can't go back in time. But I woulda liked to see what would have happened had hill started the yr off!
Lol no love for alex on this board.
Can't wait to see smith plaing in preseason to be honest!same with hill. This season needs to start like yesterday!
  • FreaKWilly52
  • Info N/A

...Great comparison...looks like the same qb in two different uniforms. Only problem is Smith has somehow managed to milk 5 yrs-worth of salary for doing nothing while the Chargers booted Leaf after only 2.

LOL. complete fools. smith and leaf dont compare at all. Leaf was an immature douche and simply couldnt handle the nfl. Smith has handled everything with class and showed a lot more on and off the field than leaf ever did. and how is being the starting qb for 3 seasons until being put on IR "milking" 5 yrs of salary?? Smith has always worked his ass off and played injured.

That's right. You and people like you can't understand. We appreciate your honesty.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A

Raye and Johnson under Singletary >>>>>>>>>> Martz under Nolan
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.
I really don't like to keep pointing this out to Martz fans, but he's still unemployed. Maybe his "magic" has been figured out by NFL defenses. Maybe his system isn't really up to managing a game. Maybe his system gets QB's too banged up. Maybe his system produces too many turnovers. Whatever. He's gone. It's water under the bridge.

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

• indianajim
  • Info N/A
Martz under Vermiel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Martz anywhere else.
  • Donnies9ers
  • Info N/A
I just hope Smith can win the job and put together a great season and put all the bust talk to rest. I really want to see Alex be sucessfull and I hope Singeltary gets some credit
  • ninermatt
  • Info N/A
If Alex Smith does not pan out this year he's done. I hope and think he'll win the job, but if he does stink it up the Niners should cut him and draft one in the first round.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by King49er:

We were f**ked right from TC because of him last year, and the fact he did dick all in Detroit shows how good he really is now...

He had weapons with the Lions and they didn't do a f**king thing, someone explain that....

Can't really blame Martz for their awful record when he was there. When Martz was with the Lions, Kitna had back to back 4,000 yard seasons, with offensive rankings from 19 and 22nd. Ranking 16th in points in 2007, they haven't been that good since 1999, we haven't been half as good since 2003. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a thing over there, check there defense, that could give you some answers to their losses.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by King49er:

Can't really blame Martz for their awful record when he was there. When Martz was with the Lions, Kitna had back to back 4,000 yard seasons, with offensive rankings from 19 and 22nd. Ranking 16th in points in 2007, they haven't been that good since 1999, we haven't been half as good since 2003. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a thing over there, check there defense, that could give you some answers to their losses.

Hey bro,look up the stats for the lions while Martz was OC and you will see the same shortcomings his offense produced here.They led the league in sacks and turnovers and were near last in the running game.Even with the stud receivers he had there,they couldn't keep from turning the ball over.I will take less yards and points in wins over gaudy yardage and point totals leading to losses any day of the week.Martz's system is dated and no longer a viable NFL option,and his inflexibility in adjusting his system to compensate for what the defenses are doing to counter it is likely why no one has even contacted him about employment.
Share 49ersWebzone