There are 196 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Thanks to Ninertico for pointing out what should be common knowledge among Niner fans - that sometimes good coaches set up competition for the starting QB position. I mean really - if Walsh can bring in a guy to compete with the greatest QB in the team's history, Singletary can be given the benefit of the doubt here with respect to a competition for this position this season.

And, as someone who feels Shaun Hill should be respected for winning games and being a very good team manager, and by virtue of that should be assumed the starter at the beginning of competition, I still don't see why anyone thinks he should simply be handed the job. He's not a franchise QB, yet. If he starts, plays most of the season and takes the team to the playoffs, yes, he's the franchise QB. But, he hasn't done that yet.

I really wish zoners would stop making any remote connection between perhaps the worst era in Niners history to the Golden Age. WHy even bring that up homie? All it does is disrespect Joe and Steve.

Alex Smith and Shaun Hill are opposites end of the spectum compared to Joe and Steve. That should be obvious to any Niner fan.

Dan, don't bother. Brodie loves to believe that MS is the second coming of Bill Walsh and takes every opportunity to compare and even EQUATE the two eras and MS to Walsh so it makes sense that he would extend it to the qbs. I agree with you 100%.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
And Shaun will be ready!

Shaun Hill will be the starter
Making comparisons is the sign of an active mind. Not seeing or appreciating links and comparisons is the sign of a weak mind. Not understanding comparisons also shows a lack of imagination.

So, yes, let's do what everyone else in the world does. Compare our struggle and the struggle of others to the best that have come before us. What better standard could we have as fans than comparing what we've got to the best that ever was. I'm not sure who around here even got the idea that it was somehow not intelligent or useful to compare players and coaches to the best we've seen around here.
Danimal, do you really believe it shows disrespect to Joe and Steve to compare other QB's to them? Really? Because that's what happens to all great players - other players get compared to them. All coaches around here get compared to Bill Walsh as well. Does that surprise anyone around here?
Originally posted by Sabrason:
"EXACTLY which is why most teams don't operate this way"

Ninertico quote: Assumption or fact? If it is fact, then show the proof as most teams do have competition at the QB position no matter what. I think most teams operate the same way as Coach S.

If I know something that you don't, it doesn't mean it becomes my job to provide proof.

Regardless, you missed the point. It's completely dysfunctional to claim you have a playoff-caliber team in JUNE (which most coaches would not do regardless of whether or not they knew who their starting qb was) but not know who your starting qb is until the 3rd preseason game. I shouldn't have to explain why that's a problem but the reasons are numerous.

Uh, and NO, most teams do not operate this way or the same way as MS - which is a laughable notion. Most teams know who their starting qb is long before now and certainly WEELLLL before the 3rd preseason game. Very few teams still uncertain as to who their starting qb is this late have gone on to do well during the following season.

Again, if you're not aware of this stuff and need "proof" then you shouldn't even be communicating with me. This is common knowledge floating around out there for all -- you either have it or you don't.

I will concede on the first point that the burden of proof doesn't have to be on you...this is not a court room.

Second, I do get the point Sabrason. I mean you make it very clear in your posts about the "dysfunction" in Coach Singeltary because he said he has a playoff caliber team even though he hasn't chosen a starting QB. I think that is clear, sir.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

It is not dysfunction to ensure that you have the best QB for the job. There is a reason why Hill wasn't just handed the job. Therefore, we have competition. Oh and yes, coaches will ensure QB competition if it warrants it. Most HC's don't because they already have a starter in place like Eli, Peyton, Brady, Cutler, etc.

When HC's don't have that luxury, oh, they have the QBs compete. If you can't see that nor want to agree with it, that is your prerogative, but I would trust the professionals running an NFL team than a fan on a 49er forum.

It's an open forum, bud. I can communicate, respectfully, to anyone on this board. I see where you are coming from and again, I don't agree with it.

Have a nice day!
Originally posted by danimal:
Thanks to Ninertico for pointing out what should be common knowledge among Niner fans - that sometimes good coaches set up competition for the starting QB position. I mean really - if Walsh can bring in a guy to compete with the greatest QB in the team's history, Singletary can be given the benefit of the doubt here with respect to a competition for this position this season.

And, as someone who feels Shaun Hill should be respected for winning games and being a very good team manager, and by virtue of that should be assumed the starter at the beginning of competition, I still don't see why anyone thinks he should simply be handed the job. He's not a franchise QB, yet. If he starts, plays most of the season and takes the team to the playoffs, yes, he's the franchise QB. But, he hasn't done that yet.

I really wish zoners would stop making any remote connection between perhaps the worst era in Niners history to the Golden Age. WHy even bring that up homie? All it does is disrespect Joe and Steve.

Alex Smith and Shaun Hill are opposites end of the spectum compared to Joe and Steve. That should be obvious to any Niner fan.

Dan, don't bother. Brodie loves to believe that MS is the second coming of Bill Walsh and takes every opportunity to compare and even EQUATE the two eras and MS to Walsh so it makes sense that he would extend it to the qbs. I agree with you 100%.

Dude, I love the way your mind works calling out Brodie like that. Just because he makes comparisons of the HC process, you dovetail your innuendo to circumvent his point.

Heck man, you believe Coach Mike Singletary is the epitome of HC failure where there is no precedent for it. Yup when I think of failure, I think of Coach S.

Give the man some time. Then pop off! Until then, I call shenanigans...
Originally posted by ninertico:

Dude, I love the way your mind works calling out Brodie like that. Just because he makes comparisons of the HC process, you dovetail your innuendo to circumvent his point.

It's just a further hint that we're dealing with an adolescent mind here. Comparing is NOT equating - only an uneducated or weak-minded person can't see the difference and only a "drama queen" would get his panties in a bunch over comparisons. Every QB who is trying to be a great NFL QB is compared to the greats at some point - not equated with the greats, but compared. The same goes for coaches and owners. We compare John York to Eddie DeBartolo. We compare any coach who comes along to Bill Walsh.
Originally posted by ninertico:

It's just a further hint that we're dealing with an adolescent mind here. Comparing is NOT equating - only an uneducated or weak-minded person can't see the difference and only a "drama queen" would get his panties in a bunch over comparisons. Every QB who is trying to be a great NFL QB is compared to the greats at some point - not equated with the greats, but compared. The same goes for coaches and owners. We compare John York to Eddie DeBartolo. We compare any coach who comes along to Bill Walsh.

Nice try.
Another sign of the adolescent mind is to provide a pathetic "flip" answer when faced with an argument for which you have no cogent answer.
Another sign of the adolescent mind is to provide a pathetic "flip" answer when faced with an argument for which you have no cogent answer.

Nice try.

• indianajim
  • Info N/A
How are the current crop of coaches better for Smith then the famed qb guru's in Turner and Martz he had at his disposal before?? They couldn't even "fix" him. Some of you wishful thinkers will depart from reality and say anything to perpetuate the dream that Smith can magically turn into a functional qb 5 yrs after his arrival to the NFL. Why not give him another 5 yrs to do so...........

Turner totally turned him around after his disastrous rookie campaign. You know, a season he shouldn't have played. Even Carson Palmer didn't play until year 2. Turner is the best coach he's had.

Martz ran a sham of a QB competition, where he pushed J.T. O'Sullivan ahead of Smith and Hill FOR HIS OWN SAKE. He did not develop anyone, and failed to utilize Gore or Davis like he should have. For those reasons he's not as good, I think, as Raye and Johnson are going to be.

And besides, it's the HEAD COACH that changes everything for me. The head coach knows how to let the Coordinators do their job, and knows how to utilize players effectively, and knows how to lead, something Nolan never could. In my opinion, the current coaches under Singletary will be better than past coaches under Nolan.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Once again Brodiefan,you are the standard of logic and courtesy !

And speaking of comparing

I fear if we "compare" the rest of our argumentative and illogical posts to the high standard of your posts,most of us would indeed come up short. (especially you know who.lol ).

And I still believe that S. Hill will be the starting QB and I believe that sing already knows Hill is his man (unless Alex surprises in a big way or unless Hill falls way way back from his previous level or is injured).
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
... And since there is always that small chance that alex will finally ,for the first time,surprise everyone and come out of his fog and look at least a little like a real NFL type QB,it was wise of Sing to have a competition at QB (like just about every spot on the roster has). Sing has pushed all the right buttons so far,so I will trust him to do the proper thing once again .
Top Cat, you are too kind. Thanks.
Top Cat, you are too kind. Thanks.

Understatement of the year.
Share 49ersWebzone