LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Shaun Hill's Passer Rating by Quarter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Shaun Hill has done well when he has played. He still has not proven himself fully to me. he is 30 years old.. can we really rely on him in the future?

We can rely on him as an average to above-average quarterback for five or six more years which is nice to have. He will never be elite, but it gives us five or six years to build the talent on the team until we find that elite guy.

well....if he keeps playing like he has been playing.....I think he should be considered higher than an above-average qb....hell if he keeps up these numbers and these passer rating I think that classifies him as one of the Elite QBs...right?

Originally posted by RedRazor:
Here is where Shaun Hill ranks (among all NFL quarterbacks) in passer rating by quarter:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th

3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

Shaun Hill....Elite QB....I know it sounds weird...but if he ends up playing like the other "elite" qbs......well, then what should he be considered?
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:55 AM ]
I don't know if this has been posted.

I believe the reason behind Shaun's bad 3rd QTRs is based solely on our coaching staff's bad half time adjustments. In many cases football is a game played in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

If anybody wants to go break down the different D Schemes in the 1st, and 2nd, compared to the 3rd, be my guest
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Here is where Shaun Hill ranks (among all NFL quarterbacks) in passer rating by quarter:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

His 3rd quarter ranking has got me completely confused. I can understand him falling into the mid teens, maybe early 20's, but very last in the league...I don't get it?

It's the suckiness before the storm...

FIXED!

-9fA
Shaun Hill isn't Joe, he isn't Steve, he isn't even John (Brodie) or Y.A. (Title), but I know this if he is the starter come week 1 he will help his get to the playoffs and win this division.
the fourth quarter is all that really matters. If he was 32nd in the 4th quarter, that would be serious need for concern. While his dismal 3rd quarters ruin his overall stats, that may be a result from throwing less or too small of a sample to get an accurate number...
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

His 3rd quarter ranking has got me completely confused. I can understand him falling into the mid teens, maybe early 20's, but very last in the league...I don't get it?

FIXED!

-9fA

Ok...

As I posted before, it had more to do with play calling then anything else IMO. Look at everyone's favorite QB, JTO... He went from a 91.8 average in the second quarter to 59.0 in the 3rd quarter under Martz's game plan.

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

I would take a look at the plays called in that quarter.

Based on Matrz' play calling, I am willing to wager that his performance fell off because of what he was asked to do.

We all know that Martz loved to call seven step drops and stretch the field. I would bet that if you took look at the play, you'd find that as the seven step drops and long passing plays were called with increasing frequency, Hill' effectiveness decreased.

Hill and Martz were totally incompatible. Matrz was simply unable or unwilling to scheme a defense that played to Hill's strengths.
Well he is not by any means a great QB. He is slightly above average. Those type of QB's will have there good and bad. I like a guy that plays the first half strong and then finishes up well too.
Remember, we're talking about the Martz system with his "hot reads." Isn't it possible that the low QB rating in the third quarter is due to defensive adjustments during half-time, as in, here's where the hot read on this kind of play is today?

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

FIXED!

-9fA

Ok...

As I posted before, it had more to do with play calling then anything else IMO. Look at everyone's favorite QB, JTO... He went from a 91.8 average in the second quarter to 59.0 in the 3rd quarter under Martz's game plan.

lol it was kinda of a joke.

-9fA

Originally posted by redrathman:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

It raises concerns but just like his overall statistics, it shouldn't define who Hill is as a Quarterback. His limited starts is too small of a sample size to draw concrete conclusions. If he's 32nd in the 3rd Quarter after a full season, it's time to be worried.

I agree. But in terms of probability, if someone ranks 5th, 6th, and 4th in 3 out of 4 categories, how does someone drop off so much? There has to be something going on at halftime that isn't clicking with Hill's style of play.

I'm assuming it has more to do with the game plan than Hill. I can't see a players performance dropping off that much without it having something to do with the game plan coming out in the third qtr.

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

FIXED!

-9fA

Ok...

lol it was kinda of a joke.

-9fA

My bad. I totally read it wrong. I =

Martz's inflexible play calling is what that is,I am telling you guys there is a legitimate reason the guy is home eating cheesy poofs and not coaching.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

Based on Matrz' play calling, I am willing to wager that his performance fell off because of what he was asked to do.

We all know that Martz loved to call seven step drops and stretch the field. I would bet that if you took look at the play, you'd find that as the seven step drops and long passing plays were called with increasing frequency, Hill' effectiveness decreased.

Hill and Martz were totally incompatible. Matrz was simply unable or unwilling to scheme a defense that played to Hill's strengths.

I'm guessing it's a combination of poor halftime adjustments, good adjustments by the opposition defensively and Shaun having difficulty adjusting to both instead of "just playing his game."

But one question I do have is this:

What were the scores going into halftime when Shaun was the QB? B/c if we were down or significantly down, I can see our OC calling a more aggressive (and desperate) game plan to start the 3rd quarter.

Eventually, it appears, Hill settles down and plays within himself and does a nice job of rallying the guys together and makes them believe they can win.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

I'm guessing it's a combination of poor halftime adjustments, good adjustments by the opposition defensively and Shaun having difficulty adjusting to both instead of "just playing his game."

But one question I do have is this:

What were the scores going into halftime when Shaun was the QB? B/c if we were down or significantly down, I can see our OC calling a more aggressive (and desperate) game plan to start the 3rd quarter.

Eventually, it appears, Hill settles down and plays within himself and does a nice job of rallying the guys together and makes them believe they can win.

It was split 4 games up and 4 down... By average I believe we went in with a 1.1 point lead or something close to that...
Share 49ersWebzone