LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 179 users in the forums

Shaun Hill's Passer Rating by Quarter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Chief:
Hill is so underrated, it is completely bizarre.

i disagree... i think hill has not played enough to be overrated or underated. and reguardless he is not top 5 qb. any quarter, he will never fit in with mannings, bradys, mcnabbs. not startin an argument... its all my opinion

Well i wouldn't put mcnab with brady. McNabb is a big baby and a choke artist, Who always has a talented defense unit, and Westbrooke.

I mean, Brady always had a better defense, and an excellent O-Line, and a much better coach than Andy Reid
How hard you throw the ball does not matter. Putting it where it needs to be when it needs to be there is what matters. I seem to remember winning 4 SBs with a QB who didnt have much of an arm.

In the words of Bill Walsh" We want to throw a nice catchable ball so the WR can run after the catch". " There is no reason to riffle the ball in there and make it harder for your recievers to make the catch".

These quotes are not exact but he did say it.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
How hard you throw the ball does not matter. Putting it where it needs to be when it needs to be there is what matters. I seem to remember winning 4 SBs with a QB who didnt have much of an arm.

In the words of Bill Walsh" We want to throw a nice catchable ball so the WR can run after the catch". " There is no reason to riffle the ball in there and make it harder for your recievers to make the catch".

These quotes are not exact but he did say it.

Agree!
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Ya we all know that Shaun Hill has a "Noodle Arm" but is there anything that a Pro QB can do to fix that? Is there a certain type of workout designed to improve arm strength for NFL Qb's? Or is it something that you can't teach like speed?

You can't teach arm strength, it can get marginally better with work but that's it.
Of course arm strength isn't really that important.
Well I know for the most part in the NFL that Arm Strength isn't the most important thing. The reason why I raised the question is, with our young corps of receivers we now have the fresh legs to threaten most NFL secondaries. I'd love to see Morgan and Crabtree getting TD's of 50 yards or more.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
It makes perfect since... WTF are yall thinking? He plays good for the 1st two quarters and during the 3rd he just stinks it up while the D is sitting there thinking "ok this guy is choking and he is done". Then when the 3rd quarter goes to an end and then the broadcast network goes to commercial Shuan will go to the sideline and grab his "special" water bottle (like on the movie Space Jam) filled with Muscle Milk, Gatorade, Red Bull, and a splash of pickle juice he turns it up and chugs th whole thing. Now he comes on the field (Rams away game last year perfect example) and opens a can of whoop ass on the D which leaves them staggering and thinking "WTF is Shuan drinking in that water bottle or is he just screwing with us"?

Shaun Hill "A Master of Disguise" under the face mask.

He does it on purpose. To throw opposing D's off so they don't know what hit em.

-9fA
Originally posted by RedRazor:
Here is where Shaun Hill ranks (among all NFL quarterbacks) in passer rating by quarter:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

His 3rd quarter ranking has got me completely confused. I can understand him falling into the mid teens, maybe early 20's, but very last in the league...I don't get it?

It's the calm before the storm...
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Here is where Shaun Hill ranks (among all NFL quarterbacks) in passer rating by quarter:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

His 3rd quarter ranking has got me completely confused. I can understand him falling into the mid teens, maybe early 20's, but very last in the league...I don't get it?

I'd be interested to see if most QB's exhibit those kinds of stats. It makes sense to me because during halftime, defensive coaches are schooling DB's and LB's on what the offense has been running and which kinds of passes the QB has been favoring. Defenses are possibly more able to jump plays right after the halftime break. Then, possibly offenses become aware of that, change strategy and the QB's ratings are up again by the fourth quarter. But, I don't really know - it's just a wild guess.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

1st quarter - 5th
2nd quarter - 6th
3rd quarter - 32nd
4th quarter - 4th

I'd be interested to see if most QB's exhibit those kinds of stats. It makes sense to me because during halftime, defensive coaches are schooling DB's and LB's on what the offense has been running and which kinds of passes the QB has been favoring. Defenses are possibly more able to jump plays right after the halftime break. Then, possibly offenses become aware of that, change strategy and the QB's ratings are up again by the fourth quarter. But, I don't really know - it's just a wild guess.

I looked at about 1/2 dozen and it doesn't look like a trend that all QB's exhibit. There could be something with the play calling in the 3rd quarter though. In 2007 Shaun had a 3rd quarter QB rate of 123.7...

DNiner, thanks.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by carl:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Chief:
Hill is so underrated, it is completely bizarre.

i disagree... i think hill has not played enough to be overrated or underated. and reguardless he is not top 5 qb. any quarter, he will never fit in with mannings, bradys, mcnabbs. not startin an argument... its all my opinion

He's very smart with the ball. That's why he's got the high QB rating.

Sadly, everyone is more in love with a QB that has a gun and can't hit the target (cough Alex cough Smith cough).

no im more interested in smith because he has way more talent than hill. no one can deny that. and without nolan ruining his career i want to see what this boy can do. everyone i mean everyone on this board saw flashes of greatness by smith at some point in 06. anyone denys that or fallin in love with him in 06 your a flat out liar. maybe 2 guys on this board didnt like smith. but either way he has 190% more upside than hill period. Thats why i like smith, and that there is def. not sad.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The QB Rating by quarter is probably mostly due to small sample sizes. Perhaps in some way it was related to the opponent's making adjustments that Martz and/or Hill struggled with initially but then got back on track in the 4th quarter.

The bigger question with Hill really is whether the league caught up with him toward the end of the season. After his first 6 games (including coming in for JTO in the Seattle game), Hill had a TD:INT ration of 10:4. In his last 3 games, his TD:INT ration was 3:4 and in none of those 3 games did he throw more TDs than INTs. To be fair, the 49ers did win 2 of those games, including the comeback in the Rams game, and its a small sample size but it would seem to be of greater concern than his rating by quarter.
  • soao
  • Veteran
1) I'd say small sample size and it's just coincidental. Even with half time adjustments, I can't see going from an excellent ranking in quarters 1, 2 & 4 and then to last in quarter # 3.

2) Since most of Shill's starts are under Mike Martz, it could be half time adjustments. The other defense adjusts to what we are doing and by the 4th quarter Martz counters that. I'm not sure these plays happened in the 3rd quarter, but it seemed like some of Shill's int's were set up by the defense. It was like he was baited to put the ball on a certain spot and the D was ready. Martz is a master game planner and play caller. Maybe his weak quarter is the 3rd as well. He starts off hot after game planning all week. The D sets up a turn over after half time. Martz counters on the fly with a better 4th quarter.
he gets tired at halftime, needs to get back in the groove? wierd stat.
Share 49ersWebzone