LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

ESPN's 25 Most Over-Rated NFL Players of the Last Decade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There is one current and one former San Francisco 49er player on the list. And they are:

Quote:
1. DeShaun Foster: Foster is the platonic ideal of a boom-and-bust running back, who breaks one or two highlight runs a game and then spends the rest of the time leaving his unfortunate quarterback in second-and-9 after second-and-9. Once a year he had a huge game against the Atlanta Falcons, and convince everybody he was a good NFL starter for another 12 months. According to Football Outsiders numbers, he was below replacement level in four out of six seasons. He only managed 4.3 yards per carry (average for running backs) in two seasons, and had no year with more than three rushing touchdowns. In 2007, Foster (3.5 yards per carry) had 100 more carries than DeAngelo Williams (5.0 yards per carry). Good luck explaining that one.

Quote:
18. Nate Clements: Is he an above-average cornerback? Yes. Is he worth the roughly $7.25 million per year the 49ers agreed to pay him during the 2007 offseason, the largest contract ever given to a defensive player up to that point? Um, no.
Alex Smith, easily.
Originally posted by PTulini:
There is one current and one former San Francisco 49er player on the list. And they are:

Quote:
1. DeShaun Foster: Foster is the platonic ideal of a boom-and-bust running back, who breaks one or two highlight runs a game and then spends the rest of the time leaving his unfortunate quarterback in second-and-9 after second-and-9. Once a year he had a huge game against the Atlanta Falcons, and convince everybody he was a good NFL starter for another 12 months. According to Football Outsiders numbers, he was below replacement level in four out of six seasons. He only managed 4.3 yards per carry (average for running backs) in two seasons, and had no year with more than three rushing touchdowns. In 2007, Foster (3.5 yards per carry) had 100 more carries than DeAngelo Williams (5.0 yards per carry). Good luck explaining that one.

Quote:
18. Nate Clements: Is he an above-average cornerback? Yes. Is he worth the roughly $7.25 million per year the 49ers agreed to pay him during the 2007 offseason, the largest contract ever given to a defensive player up to that point? Um, no.

Ummm. The bold part explains itself. If you have more carries, your yards per carry naturally will go down. That killed the article for me. I didn't even read it. Its obvious a bozo wrote it.

As for Clements, he may be overated, but I bet any team would love have him. What other corner can shut down Fitzgerald and also lay out Jason Witten? Corners aren't just supposed to cover. They have to tackle as well.

Also, as NINERGM has pointed out. He got the salary figures incorrect.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 28, 2009 at 21:18:57 ]
DeShuan Foster #1? Im not saying he is good but who talks about DeShuan Foster being a great or even good player? Nate Clements doesen't make nearly the money people thinks he makes and he is a very good cornerback.

#1 on the list should be former Cowboys safety Roy Williams. That guy went to the pro bowl every year and had a ton of commercials even though he was a turnstile in pass coverage and while he was good vs the run he wasn't all that great and the bottom line is he was a big liability in pass coverage.
  • yoyo49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by billybonka:
Alex Smith, easily.

How is he overrated? Nobody in the national media thinks he is any good. Heck, everybody who is questioned about the 49ers QB competition say that Hill will win it hands down.

To be overrated you would have had to of been considered good at some point.

Geez, I swear, the level of hate you guys have for this kid drives you to attach his name to anything negative even when it has absolutley nothing to do with him.

[ Edited by yoyo49 on Jun 28, 2009 at 21:24:51 ]
Originally posted by yoyo49:
Alex Smith, easily.

How is he overrated? Nobody in the national media thinks he is any good. Heck, everybody who is questioned about the 49ers QB competition say that Hill will win it hands down.

To be overrated you would have had to of been considered good at some point.

Geez, I swear, the level of hate you guys have for this kid drives you to attach his name to anything negative even when it has absolutley nothing to do with him.
is there a higher rating than a #1 overall draft pick?
Didn't see the whole list of players, but I can say if he aint on the list clements should be replaced by courtey brown!

Clements is a badass corner. And c brown always got injured, on that note in the old madden ya switch c brown to dt he lit it up ha ha
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm. The bold part explains itself. If you have more carries, your yards per carry naturally will go down. That killed the article for me. I didn't even read it. Its obvious a bozo wrote it.

As for Clements, he may be overated, but I bet any team would love have him. What other corner can shut down Fitzgerald and also lay out Jason Witten? Corners aren't just supposed to cover. They have to tackle as well.

haha everyone getting on DeAngleo's nut's. We almost drafted that kid. i heard we liked him. It be hard to have him and gore.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Quote:

Quote:

haha everyone getting on DeAngleo's nut's. We almost drafted that kid. i heard we liked him. It be hard to have him and gore.
um we just had him and Gore

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
DeShuan Foster #1? Im not saying he is good but who talks about DeShuan Foster being a great or even good player? Nate Clements doesen't make nearly the money people thinks he makes and he is a very good cornerback.

#1 on the list should be former Cowboys safety Roy Williams. That guy went to the pro bowl every year and had a ton of commercials even though he was a turnstile in pass coverage and while he was good vs the run he wasn't all that great and the bottom line is he was a big liability in pass coverage.

Roy Williams Awww, He's the reason there is no horse collar tackles anymore. All those people he hurt by that, including breaking t.o.'s leg that alone makes me vote for him because how often he's injured guys by s**tty tackling

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Quote:

Quote:

um we just had him and Gore

When did we have Deangleo? I wasn't talking about foster. lol
Tony Romo should be on that list. every time hes in an important game he chokes.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Tony Romo should be on that list. every time hes in an important game he chokes.

It will most likely be determined at seasons end this yr wit out t.o. If things go well the media will most likely make it out to be the t.o. Factor which is a joke. The dude is a baller. He was all good til he left dallas and got a reality show ha ha
What up s2d, mean wtw
Clements has been very good but not great.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Alex Smith, easily.

He was never praised therefore cannot be over-rated.
Share 49ersWebzone