LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

ESPN's 25 Most Over-Rated NFL Players of the Last Decade

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billybonka:
Alex Smith, easily.

I don't think he qualifies, once he hit the field in the NFL, he wasn't even rated anymore.

[ Edited by BobS on Jun 29, 2009 at 08:05:38 ]
  • NinersPC
  • Info N/A
Article's about over-rated players, not busts (i.e. Courtney Brown)...I agree that the Foster comment was interesting because I don't hear national media giving him more credit than he deserves.
Originally posted by NinersPC:
Article's about over-rated players, not busts (i.e. Courtney Brown)...I agree that the Foster comment was interesting because I don't hear national media giving him more credit than he deserves.

Lol ok got me there
Originally posted by NinersPC:

Exactly about Foster. I just don't hear the media attention for him to be number 1. But the guys comments are dead on about his yards per carry I just didn't think he was that popular to be number 1 on this list.

And Nate is a good player but it's accurate to have him on this list. He was touted as a great shutdown lock down Cb. He has made the secondary better, but not significantly. Overall there secondary is still ranked below average and that's what the national guys look at. Nate is a good player but he was overhyped.
No Passrush + Playing 10 yards off reciever (Nolan D) = Average looking Nate
You can't be great when you dont get the ball thrown to your side. Terrell Owens abused his ass during the Cowboy game. That took away his shut down corner credibility.
  • yoyo49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by yoyo49:
Alex Smith, easily.

How is he overrated? Nobody in the national media thinks he is any good. Heck, everybody who is questioned about the 49ers QB competition say that Hill will win it hands down.

To be overrated you would have had to of been considered good at some point.

Geez, I swear, the level of hate you guys have for this kid drives you to attach his name to anything negative even when it has absolutley nothing to do with him.
is there a higher rating than a #1 overall draft pick?

Theres a first overall pick every year. Second, just because you are drafted high doesn't mean you are a good NFL player.

Alex Smith does not even qualify for this poll. What part do you not understand. To be considered an overrated NFL player, you would have had to of been considered good IN THE NFL, not where you were drafted. Draft position has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Originally posted by PTulini:
There is one current and one former San Francisco 49er player on the list. And they are:

Quote:
1. DeShaun Foster: Foster is the platonic ideal of a boom-and-bust running back, who breaks one or two highlight runs a game and then spends the rest of the time leaving his unfortunate quarterback in second-and-9 after second-and-9. Once a year he had a huge game against the Atlanta Falcons, and convince everybody he was a good NFL starter for another 12 months. According to Football Outsiders numbers, he was below replacement level in four out of six seasons. He only managed 4.3 yards per carry (average for running backs) in two seasons, and had no year with more than three rushing touchdowns. In 2007, Foster (3.5 yards per carry) had 100 more carries than DeAngelo Williams (5.0 yards per carry). Good luck explaining that one.

Quote:
18. Nate Clements: Is he an above-average cornerback? Yes. Is he worth the roughly $7.25 million per year the 49ers agreed to pay him during the 2007 offseason, the largest contract ever given to a defensive player up to that point? Um, no.

Wow, how can a top 5 corner be overrated, jeez, ESPN is getting dumber and dumber by the second, I guess it's a good thing Adam Schefter is switching over to ESPN in August, he can shed some much needed intelligence over there, yikes.
Originally posted by PTulini:
There is one current and one former San Francisco 49er player on the list. And they are:

Quote:
1. DeShaun Foster: Foster is the platonic ideal of a boom-and-bust running back, who breaks one or two highlight runs a game and then spends the rest of the time leaving his unfortunate quarterback in second-and-9 after second-and-9. Once a year he had a huge game against the Atlanta Falcons, and convince everybody he was a good NFL starter for another 12 months. According to Football Outsiders numbers, he was below replacement level in four out of six seasons. He only managed 4.3 yards per carry (average for running backs) in two seasons, and had no year with more than three rushing touchdowns. In 2007, Foster (3.5 yards per carry) had 100 more carries than DeAngelo Williams (5.0 yards per carry). Good luck explaining that one.

Quote:
18. Nate Clements: Is he an above-average cornerback? Yes. Is he worth the roughly $7.25 million per year the 49ers agreed to pay him during the 2007 offseason, the largest contract ever given to a defensive player up to that point? Um, no.

LMAO about Nate, 1 he isnt a overrated CB, CHamp Bailey is IMO, while Nate never got 80M over 8 yrs, but in all actuality its 45m over 6 yrs.

[ Edited by AB83Rules on Jun 29, 2009 at 13:05:04 ]
Alex Smith, easily.

How is he overrated? Nobody in the national media thinks he is any good. Heck, everybody who is questioned about the 49ers QB competition say that Hill will win it hands down.

Geez, I swear, the level of hate you guys have for this kid drives you to attach his name to anything negative even when it has absolutley nothing to do with him.

Theres a first overall pick every year. Second, just because you are drafted high doesn't mean you are a good NFL player.

Alex Smith does not even qualify for this poll. What part do you not understand. To be considered an overrated NFL player, you would have had to of been considered good IN THE NFL, not where you were drafted. Draft position has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Billy is just a one trick pony,he jumps at any chance to rag on Smith.Personally I think he is jealous of his money and babe,lol.

Alex Smith, easily.

yea there is
"Is there a higher rating than a #1 draft pick?"

I'm sorry, but that's just criminally dumb.
Alex Smith, easily.

hahahaha no, not at all. everyone knows hes not good, so hes not "over-rated." he's rated appropriately.. which is kind of low
Alex Smith, easily.

Yes he was drafted number 1 overall, but he also got some of the least hype of any of the number 1 picks of the last decade. It's not like he got Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, or even JaMarcus Russell hype. He's faiiled thus far, but I wouldn't call him one of the most overrated players.
Can anyone link me to the full list or post the full list on here? Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone