There are 176 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore overrated??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Frank Gore overrated??

Originally posted by MadDog49er:

One note on the Martz offense: Many believe Gore's productivity dropped due to the Martz system. Statistically, this is negligible at best. Gore averaged 17.3 rushes/game in 2007, and 17.1 rushes in 2008. Even in 2006, when he ran like a mad man, he still averaged less than 20 carries/game, at 19.5. So, the issue is not opportunity, it is productivity.

Sorry, but you have to go deeper than the numbers. Martz typically ran out of single back sets and seldom called plays that matched Frank's strengths. Gore simply wasn't a good fit for a Martz offense, so its gross oversimplification to point at something like rushes/game as evidence it wasn't an issue of opportunities. The quality of those opportunties also has to come into consideration.

Gore had more rushes/game in 2006 and yet still yielded higher yds/rush. That's because he had a competent OC that played to his strengths. Not an incompetent OC (Hostler) or one that continuously tried to force square pegs into round holes (Martz).

Frank can still produce in this league if we use him right.

I say he's a top ten back, easy.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Well he is by 49ers' fans, but not in general.
Frank the tank gore is the frickin man. Now he has norris back. Now we will see him win us games again.

Goniners
Nope, I don't think he is overated at all!

After the Patriots game last year Deltha Oneal took me back to the visiting team area (I know, I know but he is like family, only reason why I was back there) and all He, Rodney Harrison, and Bruschi (sp) were talking about was the game plan to keep Gore from killing them.

I say this to say that if he is the guy that other teams are game planning for he is far from being overated!
I luv this guy! Definatley not overrated and i feel you can make the argument he's about #5 in the league right now... at best.
He didn't have his best year, but he tuffed it out and got his 1000; he's the complete package. Now we'll get to see what a difference it makes w/ Norris back and what should be a much improved O-line.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:

After the Patriots game last year Deltha Oneal took me back to the visiting team area (I know, I know but he is like family, only reason why I was back there) and all He, Rodney Harrison, and Bruschi (sp) were talking about was the game plan to keep Gore from killing them.

I say this to say that if he is the guy that other teams are game planning for he is far from being overated!

With all due respect. The only other options to stop was Bruce, Bryant Johnson and that TE we have. So of course he was the #1 priority.
This board is great!!! If you have anything positive to say about the Niners' chances, there's always someone to offer a helpful reminder on why you're full of crap.
Originally posted by krizay:

With all due respect. The only other options to stop was Bruce, Bryant Johnson and that TE we have. So of course he was the #1 priority.

I hear you but it's still the NFL, to game plan around one guy is an incredible honor to Gore.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
This board is great!!! If you have anything positive to say about the Niners' chances, there's always someone to offer a helpful reminder on why you're full of crap.

Yup everyone is entitled to an opinion! And mine says gore is a top back in the league. Maybe not number 1, but I'd say a top 5 back. He is a niner, and he will do very well this season. If not flame me lol
That's my opinion lol
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Haha! Yeah, this place is full of Divas.

Originally posted by krizay:

I hear you but it's still the NFL, to game plan around one guy is an incredible honor to Gore.

That is true that's when ya know your the man. We have one on d as well known as the great patrick willis lol
Originally posted by D_Niner:

The numbers do not lie.

Gore tied for 13th in the NFL in Total Rushing Yards.
Gore ran for 4.3 yards/carry, which would also place him in the middle of the pack for starting NFL backs. He also ran for 4.2 yards in 2007, not coming close to his 5.4 average in 2006.
Gore was 2nd in fumbles for all RB's in the NFL, fumbling the ball 6 times.
Gore was 26th in the league in TD's for RB's, with 6.
Gore was tied for 13th in yards per game, with 74/game.
Gore had only one run for more than 40+ yards.
Gore's long run of the year, for 41 yards, placed him tied for 42nd in all RB's.
Gore was 22nd in creating first down runs.

Collectively, the stats above show a middle of the pack RB, not an elite back. It is difficult for Niners fans to have a picture of the 2008 version of Gore in their heads, since the 2006 version was spectacular. However, the bottom line is that the 2006 version is not coming back. Once RB's begin to decline, they almost always continue that decline until they retire.

What I have noticed from Frank this season was the inability to hit the hole at the right time, or not identify the correct hole in the line to run through. One of the beat writers made the same observation (I believe it was MM), and this certainly has been an issue with his productivity.

The bottom line is that Gore was phenomenal in 2006, but his elite status is gone. So, there is no way he is a top 5 running back anymore. He is also not a top 10 back either, as statistically, a couple of the rookie backs will also jump into the top 10 NFL RB's this season. He fits somewhere in the middle of the pack. Sorry, but that is the reality.

One note on the Martz offense: Many believe Gore's productivity dropped due to the Martz system. Statistically, this is negligible at best. Gore averaged 17.3 rushes/game in 2007, and 17.1 rushes in 2008. Even in 2006, when he ran like a mad man, he still averaged less than 20 carries/game, at 19.5. So, the issue is not opportunity, it is productivity.

MD I agree to an extent (that the number do not lie)... Frank only played 14 games so that has to be taken in to account and all RB's will wear down as the season progresses. Like you, I don't think he's top 5 anymore; but, I do think he cracks the top 10...

One stat that I like to look at is the YPC average for guys that got over 1000 yards (IMO this balances the stats by looking at what these guys did with the opportunities they had and gets rid of the guys that only had a hand full of starts on the year). Frank happens to be # 9 in NFL in this area. So by this I say he still is top 10...

Great post.

-9fA
what are you drinking or smoking??
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Frank ran more like Al Gore in 2008 than the Frank Gore of 2006. Unfortunately, he is probably on the down side of his career, and is surely falling below some of the younger guys in the league with fresh legs.

To me, the 2009 version of Gore is a middle of the road RB in the NFL. It is too bad. He's a great kid. But, playing RB is brutal in the NFL, and he doesn't have the same game as two years ago.

VERY OVERRATED BY THIS BOARD!!!

Ugh, MD. Just ugh.

He's still averaging over 4 yards a touch. He has at least 1,000 a season. When he ran for 1700 in 2006, he touched the ball 312 times, compared to last year when he only touched 240 times in a Martz offense and grabbed just over 1,000.

I have a hard time knocking Frank Gore when his last two coordinators were Hostler (UGH) and Martz, with guys like Barry Sims on the o-line and spotty QB play.

Hard to produce when the team, in general, isn't producing.

The numbers do not lie.

Gore tied for 13th in the NFL in Total Rushing Yards.
Gore ran for 4.3 yards/carry, which would also place him in the middle of the pack for starting NFL backs. He also ran for 4.2 yards in 2007, not coming close to his 5.4 average in 2006.
Gore was 2nd in fumbles for all RB's in the NFL, fumbling the ball 6 times.
Gore was 26th in the league in TD's for RB's, with 6.
Gore was tied for 13th in yards per game, with 74/game.
Gore had only one run for more than 40+ yards.
Gore's long run of the year, for 41 yards, placed him tied for 42nd in all RB's.
Gore was 22nd in creating first down runs.

Collectively, the stats above show a middle of the pack RB, not an elite back. It is difficult for Niners fans to have a picture of the 2008 version of Gore in their heads, since the 2006 version was spectacular. However, the bottom line is that the 2006 version is not coming back. Once RB's begin to decline, they almost always continue that decline until they retire.

What I have noticed from Frank this season was the inability to hit the hole at the right time, or not identify the correct hole in the line to run through. One of the beat writers made the same observation (I believe it was MM), and this certainly has been an issue with his productivity.

The bottom line is that Gore was phenomenal in 2006, but his elite status is gone. So, there is no way he is a top 5 running back anymore. He is also not a top 10 back either, as statistically, a couple of the rookie backs will also jump into the top 10 NFL RB's this season. He fits somewhere in the middle of the pack. Sorry, but that is the reality.

The numbers don't lie neither.

Since being a starting RB in the NFL frank gore has average more than 1,500 total yards from scrimmage. Gore has accounted for a good chunk of the 49ers offense over that period of time and if it wasn't for him in 08 the 49ers would have had the worst offense in history. Gore also does not have all the opportunities that other teams do to score granted he has struggled on the goal line but the whole offense as a whole hasn't been good in the redzone.

Last year the martz running scheme did not help gore. Gore is a downhill runner that needs to be 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage to run and with a full back not only 3-4 yards and hit the whole. He is not that kind of runner.

Gore will have a great year with better numbers in almost every category.
Whoever voted for top 15 or none of the above needs to be kicked off dis site, my word has some respect, shoot.
Share 49ersWebzone