There are 237 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore overrated??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Frank Gore overrated??

People will consider him top 3 after this yr
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
He's underrated.

Exactly. Frank Gore never gets mentioned on the NFL network or ESPN, anywhere. Very Underrated. Questioning his health right & left, he's been pretty money so far. Had his moments of the fumble fingers, but has godd hands out of the backfield. Kinda like Priest Holmes in his hay-days!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Gore is probably 5-10, maybe 6 or 7.

Currently...

AP
Michael Turner
Brandon Jacobs
DeAngelo Williams

And then from there, it's a toss up.

Gore
MJD
Post-toe problems LT
Barber
Addai
Steven Jackson
Portis
Westbrook (always injured though)
Slaton
Ronnie Brown
Lynch
Kevin Smith

You can't just throw DeAngelo Williams in the top 5 after one good season. Just my opinion though...

I agree. One year doesn't mean anything. Where the hell is Adrian Peterson?? & Jacobs @ 2? no way! & Slaton? here u go:

Peterson The kid is pretty solid in 2 seasons worth of work.
Turner The potential was oozing in SD then we saw it last yr. expect the same
L.T. (still posted another 1,000 yd double-digit TD season while playing beat-up) bye the way that's 8 straight 1,000 yd seasons. Gamer!
Portis -Gamer
Gore -great hands for a back & solid runner
Jackson -pretty explosive
Westbrook -still produces great all around numbers with the injurys (but those are the killers)
Addai
Lynch
Jacobs
Barber

Rookies need another year.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Born_Niner:
definitely top 5... i challenge anyone to give me a runnning back thats done what Gore has done with a sorry passing game.. this year might be the first in Gore's career that he may not face 8 -9 man fronts everydown. LT i'd say #1.. all day A.peterson #2(but still has'nt done it long enough).. Portis has always been consistant #3.. Gore #4 and steven jax #5.. I purposely did not add any running backs that excel by way of committee (too much help ..see B.jacobs) ..i like turner, but lets see how well he do this year with everyone game planning for him. 1 solid yr does'nt warrant a top 5.

Steven Jackson has slightly outperformed Frank Gore thus far in his career and deserves to be ranked ahead of Gore IMHO.

And FWIW currently AD > LT.

Yeah, true that.. The reason i had frank ahead was because of steve jax injury problems. For what people has said about franks knees, he's only missed 5 games his whole nfl career

[ Edited by Born_Niner on Jun 27, 2009 at 10:17:27 ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
He's underrated.

Exactly. Frank Gore never gets mentioned on the NFL network or ESPN, anywhere. Very Underrated. Questioning his health right & left, he's been pretty money so far. Had his moments of the fumble fingers, but has godd hands out of the backfield. Kinda like Priest Holmes in his hay-days!

If gore had priest holmes oline there would be no comparison, by far gore. That line priest had was just insane in KC
Not trying to discredit holmes in anyway. Good rb but gore>holmes
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Frank ran more like Al Gore in 2008 than the Frank Gore of 2006. Unfortunately, he is probably on the down side of his career, and is surely falling below some of the younger guys in the league with fresh legs.

To me, the 2009 version of Gore is a middle of the road RB in the NFL. It is too bad. He's a great kid. But, playing RB is brutal in the NFL, and he doesn't have the same game as two years ago.

VERY OVERRATED BY THIS BOARD!!!

These are baseless assumptions. Lets revisit this when you actually have a chance to take a look at him when playing under comptitent coaching.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
Frank ran more like Al Gore in 2008 than the Frank Gore of 2006. Unfortunately, he is probably on the down side of his career, and is surely falling below some of the younger guys in the league with fresh legs.

To me, the 2009 version of Gore is a middle of the road RB in the NFL. It is too bad. He's a great kid. But, playing RB is brutal in the NFL, and he doesn't have the same game as two years ago.

So u dont think gore can reach 1600 yds again? I think ur very wrong...

No. He'll never get there again. Very few backs do anyways. Only two in 2008.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

These are baseless assumptions. Lets revisit this when you actually have a chance to take a look at him when playing under comptitent coaching.

Back to back years of dropping productivity. There is nothing baseless about it. He's not the same player. Please look at the statistical numbers provided earlier in this thread.
Originally posted by Overkill:

One note on the Martz offense: Many believe Gore's productivity dropped due to the Martz system. Statistically, this is negligible at best. Gore averaged 17.3 rushes/game in 2007, and 17.1 rushes in 2008. Even in 2006, when he ran like a mad man, he still averaged less than 20 carries/game, at 19.5. So, the issue is not opportunity, it is productivity.

Sorry, but you have to go deeper than the numbers. Martz typically ran out of single back sets and seldom called plays that matched Frank's strengths. Gore simply wasn't a good fit for a Martz offense, so its gross oversimplification to point at something like rushes/game as evidence it wasn't an issue of opportunities. The quality of those opportunties also has to come into consideration.

Gore had more rushes/game in 2006 and yet still yielded higher yds/rush. That's because he had a competent OC that played to his strengths. Not an incompetent OC (Hostler) or one that continuously tried to force square pegs into round holes (Martz).

Frank can still produce in this league if we use him right.

I say he's a top ten back, easy.

And what about 2007? Martz was not the coach, and Gore had an off year. He's simply not the same player. Sorry.

An elite back still posts big numbers, even in a less than stellar offense.
Many of you have a very high opinion of Gore. I think he's a terrific kid, and has been a very good 49er. However, the days of his elite play are gone. That is the reality.

Here is a comparative analysis of his play in 2006 vs. 2008:

2006- 5.4 yards/carry
2008- 4.3 yards/carry

2006- 1695 yards
2008- 1036 yards

2006- Runs of 20+yards- 15
2008- Runs of 20+ yards- 8

2006- Runs of 40+yards- 6
2008- Runs of 40+ yards- 1

Many of you have a very high opinion of Gore. I think he's a terrific kid, and has been a very good 49er. However, the days of his elite play are gone. That is the reality.

Here is a comparative analysis of his play in 2006 vs. 2008:

2006- 5.4 yards/carry
2008- 4.3 yards/carry

2006- 1695 yards
2008- 1036 yards

2006- Runs of 20+yards- 15
2008- Runs of 20+ yards- 8

2006- Runs of 40+yards- 6
2008- Runs of 40+ yards- 1

I think the number of carries each year is significant

06 - 312 carries
08 - 240 carries
  • GoatRider
  • Info N/A
Top 10. Who is better? Only Parker, Peterson, Jackson, Westbrook, Johnson, and maybe Lewis, Jones-Drew, Williams, Turner, and Tomlinson (at this stage in his career). He's certainly in the latter group.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

Back to back years of dropping productivity. There is nothing baseless about it. He's not the same player. Please look at the statistical numbers provided earlier in this thread.

Really, I wonder if larry and a healthy jonas, gore seemed fine. Larry retires. jonas often injured. Then loss of smiley 3 key oline guys in the run with larry and jonas straight and smiley pulling.

To what is considered the worst oline in the league because of the last 2 years just giving up sacks, even though it was mike martz system that helped that. You can clearly see are oline every season since gore got the 1600 got worse. Even at o cord. Even at fullback.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jun 27, 2009 at 21:41:49 ]
He's underrated.

ESPN doesnt talk about anyone unless your name is Manning, Brady or T.O. and you either play in Dallas or have just won the superbowl...

Damn...I just gave away their whole NFL Live story lineup...

Sorry ESPN
Originally posted by reasonable1:
He's underrated.

ESPN doesnt talk about anyone unless your name is Manning, Brady or T.O. and you either play in Dallas or have just won the superbowl...

Damn...I just gave away their whole NFL Live story lineup...

Sorry ESPN

Dammit i missed another espn were they talk about brady and manning, and t.o. man. Forget this im going to Disney land.
Share 49ersWebzone