There are 268 users in the forums

Who Would You Say Michael Crabtree Compares to in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He is a unique guy. One of the most unusual recievers I have seen as he plays like a basketball player in some ways. Very shifty and nifty moves and keeps his body between the DB and ball. I want to see a burning desire more often, as he needs to knock the hell out of any DB that gets in his route. He has the size and instincts to do so. Not sure why he has not been effective but not seeing his number called often could be the reason. He seems to get a bit lazy in his route running when he doesn't think the ball is coming his way. A good coach should make a huge difference.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 6, 2011 at 00:08:37 ]
I'd say we have not seen the best of Crabby yet. Look at who our coach was, we run the ball yup the gut 3 of every 4 plays. When we get a real HC with more knowledge of offense we will see Crabtree doing much more and having bigger stats. Besides, he really has only 1 1/2 years NFL experience.
shaun rogers
Crabtree is not a hard worker, he only worked hard during his draft year getting in shape to play, and came out fast and solid after holding out,,, now,, during this season he looked really slow and as if he doesn't even do strength and conditioning,, I hope it was just this year, and he comes into next season in shape bigger and stronger.

Hopefully an offensive minded coach will inspire him.
crabtree compares to Jason Hill of the Jags.. a 3rd or 4th receiver at best, good for one to two catches a game, and 2-4 drops a game.
Crabtree does remind me of Brandon Lloyd.

1. I think he has great hands
2. Lloyd is a bit more acrobatic, has more "body control"
3. Both prefer to avoid contact and prefers getting the ball when no threat of hit coming.
4. Both prima donas (sp?) and struggles to really connect with team mates.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Crabtree does remind me of Brandon Lloyd.

1. I think he has great hands
2. Lloyd is a bit more acrobatic, has more "body control"
3. Both prefer to avoid contact and prefers getting the ball when no threat of hit coming.
4. Both prima donas (sp?) and struggles to really connect with team mates.

this times 10
plays alot like Nicks of the Giants, plays taller than he actually is
Chris Carter!! strong hands, runs good routes (when he wants to) very quick in his movement, altho he lacks elite speed... good positioning. Will be much better if we can get someone to get him the ball.
Crabtree is Tim Brown Jr

Originally posted by kam_niners1:
Chris Carter!! strong hands, runs good routes (when he wants to) very quick in his movement, altho he lacks elite speed... good positioning. Will be much better if we can get someone to get him the ball.

Great comparison!
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
shaun rogers
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Josh Morgan
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
He is a unique guy. One of the most unusual recievers I have seen as he plays like a basketball player in some ways. Very shifty and nifty moves and keeps his body between the DB and ball. I want to see a burning desire more often, as he needs to knock the hell out of any DB that gets in his route. He has the size and instincts to do so. Not sure why he has not been effective but not seeing his number called often could be the reason. He seems to get a bit lazy in his route running when he doesn't think the ball is coming his way. A good coach should make a huge difference.

All you needed to understand why Crabtree wasn't called more often is the first game of the season. Two of A. Smith's interceptions were because of Crabtree either running the wrong route or not too committed to his route. He improved later on, but not markedly enough. Maybe he was not particularly happy with the 49ers the past season, and that showed in his grudging performance.
Share 49ersWebzone