There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Only Three Roster Spots Open?

QB - (3) Hill Smith, Huard
RB - (5) Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, Sheets
TE - (3) Davis, Walker, Pascoe
WR - (5) Bruce, Morgan, Jones, Battle, Hill
OL - (9) Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Smith, Wragge, Wallace, Bender

Offense = 25

DL - (6) Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga, Evans, McDonald, Balmer
LB - (8) Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Haralson, McKillop, Ulbrich, Harris, Brooks
DB - (10) Clements, Bly, Lewis, Goldson, Spencer, Brown, Roman, Smith, Hudson, Green

Defense = 24

KR/PR - (1) Rossum (also can play DB)
K - (1) Nedney
P - (1) Lee
LS - (1) Jennings

ST = 4

Total = 53

Game Day Inactives - (8)
QB Huard
RB Sheets
WR Jones (while still injured)
OL Wallace
OL Bender
DL - whomever is nicked-up
LB - McKillop
DB - Smith

Practice Squad - (8)
QB Davis
WR Zeigler
TE Finley
OL Boone
DL Jean-Francois
DL Mitchell
LB Briggs
S Taylor

PUP - (1)
WR Crabtree (if he signs) - use foot injury to hold off on roster decision until Game 6-10 PUP activation window, someone will be IR'd by then, opening a roster spot.

Borderline Notable Cuts Not Destined For PS:
WR Spurlock
OL Sims
OL Spanos
LB Moore
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:11 AM ]
Cutting Roman would be addition by subtraction.
I think there is a chance the team puts Brandon Jones on the PUP list saving the team a roster spot? I mean he is going to be out at least the first 3 or 4 games right, so why not just make him ineligible the first 6 games and get to keep an extra guy in the meantime?
  • 49ersPERU
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?


I assume that Taylor could be the backup... i just assume
Originally posted by jimbagg:
QB - (3) Hill Smith, Huard
RB - (5) Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, Sheets
TE - (3) Davis, Walker, Pascoe
WR - (5) Bruce, Morgan, Jones, Battle, Hill
OL - (9) Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Smith, Wragge, Wallace, Bender

Offense = 25

DL - (6) Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga, Evans, McDonald, Sopoaga
LB - (8) Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Haralson, McKillop, Ulbrich, Harris, Brooks
DB - (10) Clements, Bly, Lewis, Goldson, Spencer, Brown, Roman, Smith, Hudson, Green

Defense = 24

KR/PR - (1) Rossum (also can play DB)
K - (1) Nedney
P - (1) Lee
LS - (1) Jennings

ST = 4

Total = 53

Game Day Inactives - (8)
QB Huard
RB Sheets
WR Jones (while still injured)
OL Wallace
OL Bender
DL - whomever is nicked-up
LB - McKillop
DB - Smith

Practice Squad - (8)
QB Davis
WR Zeigler
TE Finley
OL Boone
DL Jean-Francois
DL Mitchell
LB Briggs
S Taylor

PUP - (1)
WR Crabtree (if he signs) - use foot injury to hold off on roster decision until Game 6-10 PUP activation window, someone will be IR'd by then, opening a roster spot.

Borderline Notable Cuts Not Destined For PS:
WR Spurlock
OL Sims
OL Spanos
LB Moore

Not too bad Jim. A few changes I'd make:

Drop either Hudson or Green (or maybe both if we need more offensive players). As you said, Rossum can fill in at DB if necessary and we need a spot for one of your most glaring omissions...Where's Balmer?

And I think on offense, we drop Bender because I Crabs will need a spot. I like your PUP list plan though, that may work. Even still I say drop Bender and keep either Boone or Nate Davis on the active roster. I don't think Davis will last on the practice squad.

We are going to have some tough decisions to make...Boone, Zeigler, Francois, and Taylor could possibly make the active roster. Boone and Francois are my favorite of that group.
[ Edited by jb49ers80 on Aug 27, 2009 at 8:40 AM ]
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think there is a chance the team puts Brandon Jones on the PUP list saving the team a roster spot? I mean he is going to be out at least the first 3 or 4 games right, so why not just make him ineligible the first 6 games and get to keep an extra guy in the meantime?

Unfortunately, we can't do that. One of the rules of the PUP list is as follows:

'A player can not be placed on the PUP after being listed on the Active Roster at any time after the first day of training camp.'

Since Jones was on the active roster during camp before his injury, he can't be put on PUP. Since Crabtree, however, has never been on the active roster, we could put him on the PUP. I'm just not sure if we would do it or not. We might want to get him in and practicing as soon as possible. While on the PUP, you can't practice with the team. You can, however, attend meetings.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
QB - (3) Hill Smith, Huard
RB - (5) Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, Sheets
TE - (3) Davis, Walker, Pascoe
WR - (5) Bruce, Morgan, Jones, Battle, Hill
OL - (9) Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Smith, Wragge, Wallace, Bender

Offense = 25

DL - (6) Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga, Evans, McDonald, Sopoaga
LB - (8) Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Haralson, McKillop, Ulbrich, Harris, Brooks
DB - (10) Clements, Bly, Lewis, Goldson, Spencer, Brown, Roman, Smith, Hudson, Green

Defense = 24

KR/PR - (1) Rossum (also can play DB)
K - (1) Nedney
P - (1) Lee
LS - (1) Jennings

ST = 4

Total = 53

Game Day Inactives - (8)
QB Huard
RB Sheets
WR Jones (while still injured)
OL Wallace
OL Bender
DL - whomever is nicked-up
LB - McKillop
DB - Smith

Practice Squad - (8)
QB Davis
WR Zeigler
TE Finley
OL Boone
DL Jean-Francois
DL Mitchell
LB Briggs
S Taylor

PUP - (1)
WR Crabtree (if he signs) - use foot injury to hold off on roster decision until Game 6-10 PUP activation window, someone will be IR'd by then, opening a roster spot.

Borderline Notable Cuts Not Destined For PS:
WR Spurlock
OL Sims
OL Spanos
LB Moore

I don't think Ulbrich makes it this year Takeo is the leader of that crew. I also think unless Alex throws up some numbers next week I could really see MS having it with him him and giving the slot to Davis. I think Spurlock gets Ulbrich's spot to solidify our WR crew and give depth on ST I just can't see us droppin him a potential fill in return man if Rossum goes down.
Oops! My bad. Had Sopoaga listed twice and missed Balmer. Corrected via edit.

With a run-oriented team, Sheets as the 5th RB is more important than a 6th WR. Raye has said that he is mostly going with formations that have only 2 WR's. Sheets can be just as big a factor as a return man as Spurlock, so if it comes down to Sheets vs Spurlock for a spot, Sheets gets it. BTW, either Sheets or Robinson could line-up as a slot receiver in a pinch. Could Spurlock or Zeigler also line-up as an RB in a pinch? Nope.

It is so tempting to squeeze the OL down to 8 roster spots, to make room for a more glamour position, but the club won't do it. There will be at least 9 OL on the Final 53. I picked Bender as the last guy because I think that a 4th OT is important with Marvel Smith's sensitive back. No way should they keep Sims, and Boone is still way too green. So it will likely come down to Bender, who has 2 years in NFL camps (SF and NE) or Spanos, who can supposedly play OG or OT, but who seems to be getting time only at OG. Toledo is a pure OG and, while big, he is also seemingly too ponderous and slow for the NFL level. Keep an eye on a Baas contract extension (or not) before the season, which also may affect the last OL roster spot.

Yes, I loaded up on DB's. I remember the 2005 season when the club had to start guys off the street. Even last year, Clements and Harris were the only healthy CB's at the end of the season. Most fans don't know much about CB Green, but he has practiced against Boldin and Fitzgerald for 4 years. I think that Green sticks. Also, consider that DB's and LB's constitute much of the ST coverage manpower.

Ulbrich will make this 2009 club. He has more to offer than the fargile Jay More or the green Briggs, who can be put on the PS. This will likely be Ulbrich's last year, as it will also be for Roman. Roman's value is twofold: experience (he was the defensive play-caller) and he can play EITHER FS or SS. That's valuable back-up experience, especially for Goldson, who has never played a full NFL seaon without injury.

That's some of my rationale.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Oops! My bad. Had Sopoaga listed twice and missed Balmer. Corrected via edit.

With a run-oriented team, Sheets as the 5th RB is more important than a 6th WR. Raye has said that he is mostly going with formations that have only 2 WR's. Sheets can be just as big a factor as a return man as Spurlock, so if it comes down to Sheets vs Spurlock for a spot, Sheets gets it. BTW, either Sheets or Robinson could line-up as a slot receiver in a pinch. Could Spurlock or Zeigler also line-up as an RB in a pinch? Nope.

It is so tempting to squeeze the OL down to 8 roster spots, to make room for a more glamour position, but the club won't do it. There will be at least 9 OL on the Final 53. I picked Bender as the last guy because I think that a 4th OT is important with Marvel Smith's sensitive back. No way should they keep Sims, and Boone is still way too green. So it will likely come down to Bender, who has 2 years in NFL camps (SF and NE) or Spanos, who can supposedly play OG or OT, but who seems to be getting time only at OG. Toledo is a pure OG and, while big, he is also seemingly too ponderous and slow for the NFL level. Keep an eye on a Baas contract extension (or not) before the season, which also may affect the last OL roster spot.

Yes, I loaded up on DB's. I remember the 2005 season when the club had to start guys off the street. Even last year, Clements and Harris were the only healthy CB's at the end of the season. Most fans don't know much about CB Green, but he has practiced against Boldin and Fitzgerald for 4 years. I think that Green sticks. Also, consider that DB's and LB's constitute much of the ST coverage manpower.

Ulbrich will make this 2009 club. He has more to offer than the fargile Jay More or the green Briggs, who can be put on the PS. This will likely be Ulbrich's last year, as it will also be for Roman. Roman's value is twofold: experience (he was the defensive play-caller) and he can play EITHER FS or SS. That's valuable back-up experience, especially for Goldson, who has never played a full NFL seaon without injury.

That's some of my rationale.

Your roster is a good one and makes alot of sense. Probably close to what will actually occur.

OTOH, if I was doin the choosin, I'd go with youth.

Keep N. Davis, Boone, and RJF on the 53 man roster. Cut Huard (likely to be available as a FA later if needed), Bender, and Roman to make room.

I'd also be wary of losing K. Mitchell off the PS--not because he's a big name or anything, but because he's a big dude who can play NT and those guys are hard to find. If it was up to me, I'd cut Sopoaga and keep Mitchell, based on performance in the two preseason games so far. I know its a reach, but I've lost patience with Sopoaga. Time to start turning the roster over, inserting some youth. IMHO.

PS. I'd also consider keeping Spurlock and cutting Rossum.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM ]
I think Hudson and Green are competing for a DB/hybrid LB role on the team.
Good points all. With the young guys like QB Davis, OT Boone, WR Zeigler, NT Mitchell and DE Jean-Francois (and I like the potential of all of these guys), I just think that the club can get thm through waivers to the PS. They really need development time and every other club is going to be pressed, like the Niners, to start Game 1 with a fully productive Final 53.

When Game 10-11 or so rolls around, then it might be time to consider pulling some of these guys onto the roster, as the ineveitable IR injuries pile up, and before they can be snatched-away by another team with its own IR-generated vacancies.

The most vulnerable vets: QB Smith (trade bait for a pick), QB Huard (might still be available mid-season, if needed), OG Baas (if not extended, could be trade bait for a pick), OT Sims (color him gone), LB Ulbrich (10th year for fiery guy, who can no longer run well, but still fill the hole inside), S Roman (Goldson has just been soooo injury-prone, insurance is required), DL Sopoaga (cap implications probably guarantee him a spot, but Mitchell, Jean-Francois and even Egboh are providing much better competition than Joe Cohen ever did), WR Hill (a very young vet with great hands, who really flourished with QB Hill during the final 8 games of 2008, but who seems to be in a tough battle with Spurlock). WR Hill vs WR Spurlock was the toughest roster decision for me. WR Hill's proven in-game chemistry with QB Hill, is what made the difference for me.

Lastly, people need to understand that Rossum is a proven home-run hitter. On a team where offensive points will be scarce, points from the D or ST are going to be the difference between winning or losing in at least 2-3 games, as I see it. And Rossum is good for taking it to the house, maybe 2-3 times during the season. He has perormed at this level and provided a significant boost over Maurice Hicks return performance last year, in terms of filed position, which is crituical to a ball-control offense. Rossum is a very valuable Niner.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by jimbagg:

Practice Squad - (8)
QB Davis
WR Zeigler
TE Finley
OL Boone
DL Jean-Francois
DL Mitchell
LB Briggs
S Taylor


Not a bad practice squad, I bet most of those guys could have started or been backups in 04.
If there are only 3 spots open, it's more and more likely that there won't even BE a spot for Crabtree if he doesn't sign. The team can't afford to have an open spot on the roster.

Not even for Pima Dona Diva WRs'.

Oh yeah I think that Spurlock is the guy to go to the practice squad, Roman to game day inactives (Reggie Smith was straight up solid why give Roman that spot?) and Battle is outright cut.





j/k on that last part.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
If there are only 3 spots open, it's more and more likely that there won't even BE a spot for Crabtree if he doesn't sign. The team can't afford to have an open spot on the roster.

Not even for Pima Dona Diva WRs'.

~Ceadder

Wait........what? If Crabtree signs after the season starts, they just drop somebody down and pull him up.
that article was written june 17th.. a little dated. can we move on now?