LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Only Three Roster Spots Open?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 9erThrowBack:
  • The Niners would love to find a way to replace Rossum with someone more versatile. Sheets, maybe?

• i agree almost 100%, but Rossum, no way do we wanna have him lose out, he did wonders for our Field Position, and will continue this year.

I don't think the Niners will let Rossum go if nobody else steps up and shows they can be greater than or equal to him in the return game, but I'm sure the Niners would certainly like someone to do so who can do other things as well, for depth reasons if nothing else. We have yet to see him matched against NFL speed and find out how elusive he can be at this level, but it's likely that Sheets will get a shot (and may be his best chance to make the team).
    Originally posted by MADMIKE:
    OFFENSE: (26)

QB: Hill, Smith Davis (3)
    RB: Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, sheets (5)
    WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Zeigler (6)
    TE: Davis, Walker, Pascoe (3)
    OL: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Boone[/i] (9)

DEFENSE: (23)

DL: Balmer, Evans, Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, McDonald (if healthy) (6)
    LB: Haralson, Spikes, Willis, Lawson, McKillop, Harris, Ulbrich, Moore (8)
    CB/S: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Goldston, Lewis, Hudson, Roman, Smith (9)

ST: (4)

LS: Jennings
    KR: Rossum
    K: Nedney
    P: Lee

PRACTICE SQUAD: (5)

Jean-Francois, Ricky
    Taylor, Curtis
    Spurlock, Michael

Ill take Davis over Huard (If you get down to your third your season's not going too well anyway, no need to carry 4 Qbs)
    Sheets (gives us that quick back, and can return kicks)
    Zeiglar over Battle (7 Wrs is too much and battles been gone for so long i dont think he can beat out Z)
    Boone over Toledo
    I think Reggie Smith makes it, We need more than 4 dbs so hudson could be a 5th while reggie backs up Lewis

Originally posted by BigMar:

OL: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Boone[/i] (9)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

Jean-Francois, Ricky
    Taylor, Curtis
    Spurlock, Michael

Ill take Davis over Huard (If you get down to your third your season's not going too well anyway, no need to carry 4 Qbs)
    Zeiglar over Battle (7 Wrs is too much and battles been gone for so long i dont think he can beat out Z)
    Boone over Toledo
    I think Reggie Smith makes it, We need more than 4 dbs so hudson could be a 5th while reggie backs up Lewis

WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, Battle, Spurlock (6)

CB/S: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Goldston, Lewis, Taylor, Roman,R. Smith (9)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

Jean-Francois, Ricky

I think during the preseason Spurlock has got on the field more than J. Hill. I think Battle has proven he has to take up a roster spot. And I think Taylor has outplayed Hudson for a roster spot. I think RJF will be on the roster if McDonald continues to be slow to recover. And I'm wondering if the team will keep M-Rob over Norris. Or if we will cut Rossom, keep M-Rob as the special teams player and let Spurlock return kicks like he did last year at Tampa.
    Originally posted by backontop:
    As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

They should be released right after the Dallas pre-season game.

Don't need Sims.....Marvel Smith is the perfect vet back-up to Staley and Synder. Smarter move keeping youngster Boone.

The only team who would make a waiver claim on the Roman, the best non-playmaking safety in the NFL is his good buddy Nolan in Denver.
    Originally posted by global_nomad:

PRACTICE SQUAD:

Jean-Francois, Ricky
    Taylor, Curtis
    Spurlock, Michael

Boone over Toledo

WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, Battle, Spurlock (6)

CB/S: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Goldston, Lewis, Taylor, Roman,R. Smith (9)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

Jean-Francois, Ricky

I think during the preseason Spurlock has got on the field more than J. Hill. I think Battle has proven he has to take up a roster spot. And I think Taylor has outplayed Hudson for a roster spot. I think RJF will be on the roster if McDonald continues to be slow to recover. And I'm wondering if the team will keep M-Rob over Norris. Or if we will cut Rossom, keep M-Rob as the special teams player and let Spurlock return kicks like he did last year at Tampa.

I don't see Pascoa making the team. He struggled in camp and in preseason. I would keep Brit Miller over Pascoa.
    Originally posted by NickSh49:

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?

I honestly believe that Hudson actually gives us just as much, if not more, at FS then Roman's constantly out of position and burnt self does.
    Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I honestly believe that Hudson actually gives us just as much, if not more, at FS then Roman's constantly out of position and burnt self does.

R. Smith hasn't been bad now that he is back to Safety.
    Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Classic Mark Roman, nothing has changed... did you see him come late to try and help Nate on that T/D in Oakland. Mark Roman once again was sleep walking.

Can we please get this guy off our roster, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [ Edited by BigMar on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:50 PM ]

It would be nice to keep Roman as the backup free safety. He would be a decent backup.
    Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

It would be nice to keep Roman as the backup free safety. He would be a decent backup.

"decent" ain't no longer going to cut it on Singletary roster this season

Well then what are we left with as far as the backup free safety is concerned?
    [ Edited by WheresWaldo on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM ]

Reggie Smith and Marcus Hudson. Reggie Smith has looked pretty good this preseason. He has made the most of his opportunities. I believe he is more comfortable back at the FS position rather than at CB like NoWin had him at. Drop Roman he is garbage

Reggie Smith and Marcus Hudson. Reggie Smith has looked pretty good this preseason. He has made the most of his opportunities. I believe he is more comfortable back at the FS position rather than at CB like NoWin had him at. Drop Roman he is garbage

Roman is not going anywhere. This is a losing battle you are facing. Next year is when he gets the ax.
    Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
    Originally posted by rapid4:
    We didn't improve the DL, so absence of competition is not a good thing.

We added Evans.

Balmer has another year under his belt and, by all accounts, looks much improved.

I'd call those two things improvement.

I agree completely, our D-line improved in the last couple of games last season because of good coaching. Then ad Evans and an improved Balmer, we are making positive steps.
    Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Roman is not going anywhere. This is a losing battle you are facing. Next year is when he gets the ax.

Battle? no I said Roman
    Share 49ersWebzone