There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could Michael Spurlock beat out Battle and Zeigler?

Originally posted by GeecheeNiner:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
With the top 5 WR spots pretty much locked down (Bruce, Morgan, Hill, Jones, Crabtree), all there is to debate about the WR core is whether or not there will be a 6th WR, and if so, who that is. The conventional wisdom has been that it would most likely be Battle, with Zeigler having a slim chance to beat him out. But is that all there is to the 6th WR debate?

I starting noticing Spurlock's name popping up a lot in the 9er OTA coverage. Just little comments about great finger tip grabs, nice after the catch moves, or a noticeably good day of practice. But then I realized that it wasn't just one reporter mentioning him, it was all of them. And considering that he's an experienced (and pretty good) kick returner and a veteran that's still young, I started wondering if he might have more value to the team than Battle or Zeigler. Also, being a smaller, quicker guy, he's a type of WR we don't have a lot of.

Now, I don't think that we would keep him and let Rossum go, but that is theoretically possible as well. I think it's possible that both Rossum and Spurlock make the team.

What you guys think? Am I just bored and making up 9er intrigue where none exists? Or does Spurlock have a real shot at making this roster?

He is NOT beating out Battle....period! Battle is to valuable, and have so many assets the team can use from him to an unproven. Everything Spurlock has down Battle has done...even better!

PD

Battle has chronic injury problems... Ziegler and Spurlock have upside. There is no reason why it isn't possible Arnaz will get cut later this offseason.
The conventional wisdom has been that it would most likely be Battle, with Zeigler having a slim chance to beat him out.

The problem with Battle is we all know what he can do. He's an average player that will put up mediocre numbers if given a LOT of playing time. He's never been anything more than average and now that he's getting older it's highly unlikely that will change. People on here love him because he was the "most reliable" receiver on the team for several years, but think back and tell me who we had that was any good back then. Nobody. Battle was the best receiver amongst a bunch of awful receivers. Now, I can't sing very well, but I guarantee if you put me in a group with a bunch of awful singers I will sing better than most of them, if not all of them. Does that really mean anything though? Not really. It just means I'm better than a bunch of other people that suck. Same thing with Battle.

Basically what I'm saying is we all know what to expect out of Arnaz Battle. We don't know what we'll get out of Dominique Zeigler or Michael Spurlock, and personally, I'd like to find out. They could both be terrible receivers for all we know. On the other hand, they could be solid receivers or even heavy contributors. We don't know because they've never been given the chance.

We have a very solid group of receivers right now, and if we were ever in a position to take a gamble on a wide receiver, now is the time. Brandon Jones is like a faster version of Battle, anyway. I'd rather see what one of the other two players can do than have Battle go out there and be an average player.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
The conventional wisdom has been that it would most likely be Battle, with Zeigler having a slim chance to beat him out.

The problem with Battle is we all know what he can do. He's an average player that will put up mediocre numbers if given a LOT of playing time. He's never been anything more than average and now that he's getting older it's highly unlikely that will change. People on here love him because he was the "most reliable" receiver on the team for several years, but think back and tell me who we had that was any good back then. Nobody. Battle was the best receiver amongst a bunch of awful receivers. Now, I can't sing very well, but I guarantee if you put me in a group with a bunch of awful singers I will sing better than most of them, if not all of them. Does that really mean anything though? Not really. It just means I'm better than a bunch of other people that suck. Same thing with Battle.

Basically what I'm saying is we all know what to expect out of Arnaz Battle. We don't know what we'll get out of Dominique Zeigler or Michael Spurlock, and personally, I'd like to find out. They could both be terrible receivers for all we know. On the other hand, they could be solid receivers or even heavy contributors. We don't know because they've never been given the chance.

We have a very solid group of receivers right now, and if we were ever in a position to take a gamble on a wide receiver, now is the time. Brandon Jones is like a faster version of Battle, anyway. I'd rather see what one of the other two players can do than have Battle go out there and be an average player.

This is well expressed.... I certainly hope it is true. Jones does seem like the type...tough, gritty, and loves the game. I think Battle has been better than you give him credit for though (the NFL consensus is that Battle has been one of, if not, the best blocking WRs in the game). He has done all the little things and done them quite well....also has been a clutch player with a great attitude.

The real problem with Battle is that he is 30 years old and years of NFL abuse is finally catching up to him. He has a chronic arthritic problem with one of his knees which prevents him from practicing much during the season. The guy has been a total gamer since he joined the team but he is certainly past his prime and can't be depended upon to stay healthy. Sorry about that Arnaz...

Again, if the Niners cut Zeigler, mark my words, he will contribute to another team right away.... The guy just gets open and makes plays....period. My fear is that an NFC West team like Seattle or St. Louis, who both have a need for a good possession wideout will pick him up and really develop him into a solid starter. Keep Ziggy!!!

[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jun 14, 2009 at 12:01:13 ]
All three won't make the team.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:
I have been wondering the same thing, but they haven't put pads on yet so we really don't know if his name will continue to come up during training camp. If it does, I think he wont play much in the pre-season and the team will try to hide him on the practice squad.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think he can go on the practice squad. I'm pretty sure only players that are in either their first or second year, and that haven't had significant playing time can be placed on the practice squad. Spurlock and Zeigler are probably both not practice squad eligible.

At least that's my understanding.

You have 3 years of practice squad eligibility unless you play a certain number of games during the season. Zeigler is eligible and I’m not sure but I think this is Spurlock’s third year as well so he would be eligible too.

“The reason I put Zeigler at No. 7 is mostly because he’s the only one of that group that is a) eligible for the practice squad, and b) might actually not get claimed if he’s waived.”
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/lotsa-intrigue-with-deepest-wr-group-in-club-history.html
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
If the team keeps a number 6 receiver, he will be used almost exclusively on special teams unless a receiver or two go down during the season. Because of that, I don't believe Battle is worth the roster spot. He is old, expensive, injury-prone, and doesn't provide much upside.
I have been wondering the same thing, but they haven't put pads on yet so we really don't know if his name will continue to come up during training camp. If it does, I think he wont play much in the pre-season and the team will try to hide him on the practice squad.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think he can go on the practice squad. I'm pretty sure only players that are in either their first or second year, and that haven't had significant playing time can be placed on the practice squad. Spurlock and Zeigler are probably both not practice squad eligible.

At least that's my understanding.

I think I read from one of the matts that ziegler would be practice squad eligible this season.
Originally posted by GeecheeNiner:
With the top 5 WR spots pretty much locked down (Bruce, Morgan, Hill, Jones, Crabtree), all there is to debate about the WR core is whether or not there will be a 6th WR, and if so, who that is. The conventional wisdom has been that it would most likely be Battle, with Zeigler having a slim chance to beat him out. But is that all there is to the 6th WR debate?

I starting noticing Spurlock's name popping up a lot in the 9er OTA coverage. Just little comments about great finger tip grabs, nice after the catch moves, or a noticeably good day of practice. But then I realized that it wasn't just one reporter mentioning him, it was all of them. And considering that he's an experienced (and pretty good) kick returner and a veteran that's still young, I started wondering if he might have more value to the team than Battle or Zeigler. Also, being a smaller, quicker guy, he's a type of WR we don't have a lot of.

Now, I don't think that we would keep him and let Rossum go, but that is theoretically possible as well. I think it's possible that both Rossum and Spurlock make the team.

What you guys think? Am I just bored and making up 9er intrigue where none exists? Or does Spurlock have a real shot at making this roster?

He is NOT beating out Battle....period! Battle is to valuable, and have so many assets the team can use from him to an unproven. Everything Spurlock has down Battle has done...even better!

PD

Battle is not making the team. He is still hurt (as he usually is) and people say he has great value because he can return punts well the few times he has returned punts he hasn't been very good, I can remember at least two key fumbles and don't remember any big or solid returns.
If the team keeps a number 6 receiver, he will be used almost exclusively on special teams unless a receiver or two go down during the season. Because of that, I don't believe Battle is worth the roster spot. He is old, expensive, injury-prone, and doesn't provide much upside.

I agree with you on Battle but I do not think the team will keep 6 WR's. I think it will be 5 and those 5 will likely be Crabtree, Bruce, Morgan, B Jones and J Hill. If Ziegler or Spurlock have an amazing TC and pre-season, either of those guys may make the final roster but I just don't see us using 6 roster spots for WR's.
Not sure. I would be suprised but I dont care who wins the battle because we look damn good at receiver and if he does beats them out, we are that much better.
Originally posted by sanfranfan1210:
hopefully we keep him he seemed like a cool dude when I got his auto today

he gave you his car?
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
I think Battle has been better than you give him credit for though (the NFL consensus is that Battle has been one of, if not, the best blocking WRs in the game). He has done all the little things and done them quite well....also has been a clutch player with a great attitude.

And I think you give him more credit than he deserves, which is nothing new around this forum. He is NOT one of the best blocking WRs in the league and he most definitely is NOT the best blocking WR in the league. He's a good blocker, but you're going way overboard. He's the best blocking WR on THIS team. That's it. Anyone who thinks Battle is one of the best at anything needs to take a look around the league.

He plays with a lot of heart and many people like to say he's a "gamer," whatever that means, but don't fool yourself into thinking Battle is more valuable than he really is. He doesn't create seperation, he's not explosive (having a handful of explosive plays over the course of six seasons is not enough), he doesn't have great speed and he simply is not a playmaker. Everyone says he's "clutch," people need to get real. How many clutch plays has he really made? The only year he came up big on 3rd downs was 06 when Antonio Bryant was here commanding double teams, but people like to act like he's always come up big on 3rd downs, which is a load of crap and everyone knows it. Battle needs that #1 receiver to take attention away from him in order to make plays. Everyone also tries to say he has great hands, but in 07 he was competing with Darrell Jackson for the most drops on the team.

Battle is a mediocre player that plays with a lot of heart, but heart does not give you the skills required to be good at WR. He gets a lot of love on this forum, but lets get real for a moment, shall we? If Arnaz Battle was on a different team (one that you happened to know about, but was not your team) you wouldn't be giving him the type of credit you are. We all know this. He simply hasn't done anything to deserve the praise he receives. He's a 49er, so 49er fans will try as hard as they can to find a reason to praise him.

The fact of the matter is if he was really any good, he wouldn't be competing for the 5TH WR slot.
I think we all are going to be surprised that Singletary will cut or ask Bruce to retire. In every way I can see the best bet is to go with younger talent and for us it is wise to keep as much of that talent as possible. If we lose a couple through injuries or free agency, that great status can go to sucks awfully quickly. Good teams always keep the new talent coming in even if the vets feel a bit unwanted. Injuries etc can wipe out a team as it did with the niners a few years back as well as the Seahawks of recent past. Even if Bruce is still great if the young guys show it, I think sing will drop Bruce or get him involved with coaching. I suspect the niners are not as impotent on defense as supposed what with guys like Balmer, Evans, Mcdonald and Francois as reserves. If we have no injuries that may even be excessive. I think the one area the team was concerned about the most was inside linebacker spot which they now have fairly solidified with our draft pick and that short ILB, who was said to have played well in OTA's . I think ordinarily if the OLB slot was as weak as proposed by some, they would have not traded the second pick. I think they felt with Harris, Ahmad Brooks and Jay Moore was adequate. Ahmad Brooks may be a good pass rusher but a guy like Moore could do a good job replacing Lawson as he can both cover and pass rush. In case you have forgotten he was the one who beat Staley for two sacks in the senior bowl. I liked Moore but his injuries are a bit troubling. However one has to judge if they are just bad luck or indicative of being injury prone. IMO there has not been any indication that he has been constantly dinged as has guys like Jonas Jennings. In some ways, I get the feeling the niners wanted some low round guys with very high potentials but bloody raw for their practice squad and went after Briggs and Egboh in case of disastrous injuries instead of competition for their main guys.
I will be disgusted if Arnaz Battle is cut,anyone who actually watched the games last year would know why I feel this way.

He was money on 3rd downs before he got hurt.

Anyone who thinks Battle should be cut is just a Madden player who is bothered by the fact that his rating isn't what they want it to be,in real life,he is an asset to this team.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by King49er:
I will be disgusted if Arnaz Battle is cut,anyone who actually watched the games last year would know why I feel this way.

He was money on 3rd downs before he got hurt.

Anyone who thinks Battle should be cut is just a Madden player who is bothered by the fact that his rating isn't what they want it to be,in real life,he is an asset to this team.

I want to believe this. I agree that he was very clutch in making the tough catches at a time when it seemed no one else would step up.

I just don't see how the numbers will allow it. How could we keep, what, seven wide receivers to keep Battle on board?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home