LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Could Michael Spurlock beat out Battle and Zeigler?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With the top 5 WR spots pretty much locked down (Bruce, Morgan, Hill, Jones, Crabtree), all there is to debate about the WR core is whether or not there will be a 6th WR, and if so, who that is. The conventional wisdom has been that it would most likely be Battle, with Zeigler having a slim chance to beat him out. But is that all there is to the 6th WR debate?

I starting noticing Spurlock's name popping up a lot in the 9er OTA coverage. Just little comments about great finger tip grabs, nice after the catch moves, or a noticeably good day of practice. But then I realized that it wasn't just one reporter mentioning him, it was all of them. And considering that he's an experienced (and pretty good) kick returner and a veteran that's still young, I started wondering if he might have more value to the team than Battle or Zeigler. Also, being a smaller, quicker guy, he's a type of WR we don't have a lot of.

Now, I don't think that we would keep him and let Rossum go, but that is theoretically possible as well. I think it's possible that both Rossum and Spurlock make the team.

What you guys think? Am I just bored and making up 9er intrigue where none exists? Or does Spurlock have a real shot at making this roster?
He was pretty exciting to watch in college,he made some big plays as a receiver and a returner.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I have been wondering the same thing, but they haven't put pads on yet so we really don't know if his name will continue to come up during training camp. If it does, I think he wont play much in the pre-season and the team will try to hide him on the practice squad.
  • sanfranfan1210
  • Info N/A
hopefully we keep him he seemed like a cool dude when I got his auto today
i doubt it, but u never know
Originally posted by 23zack80:
I have been wondering the same thing, but they haven't put pads on yet so we really don't know if his name will continue to come up during training camp. If it does, I think he wont play much in the pre-season and the team will try to hide him on the practice squad.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think he can go on the practice squad. I'm pretty sure only players that are in either their first or second year, and that haven't had significant playing time can be placed on the practice squad. Spurlock and Zeigler are probably both not practice squad eligible.

At least that's my understanding.
remember that this is only june, and everyone is in shorts and jerseys, not pads. everyone in shorts and jerseys looks good, but things definitely change when the pads come in
Originally posted by 49ers1:
remember that this is only june, and everyone is in shorts and jerseys, not pads. everyone in shorts and jerseys looks good, but things definitely change when the pads come in

True. But still, there is the question of what's more valuable to the 9ers, a good #6 WR or decent #6 WR/good #2 KR.

Since there's not a lot going on in 9erland right now, I thought it might be worth kicking that question around a little.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by 49ers1:

True. But still, there is the question of what's more valuable to the 9ers, a good #6 WR or decent #6 WR/good #2 KR.

Since there's not a lot going on in 9erland right now, I thought it might be worth kicking that question around a little.

okay, but imo battle will win out because he has too much experience and smarts to be let go. spurlock is a good returner but they already have a bunch of them. zeigler is stick thin and thus not the type of reciever they want.
he's a vet? damn i thought he was a rookie ufa

This "battle" for the 6th WR gig would normally not even warrant a response but since the Niners are so deep at the position, it has become a pretty hot topic and certainly very intriguing.....and to make it more so, the 3 guys really fighting it out over the spot are such different players that it boggles the mind. Battle, the tough, clutch veteran; Zeigler, the classic possession WR with terrific hands; and Spurlock, the smallish unknown with a wide skill set.
Personally, I really hope Ziggy makes the team because he just seems to make a lot of plays. If this guy started, I can see him making 65-70 catches. I know that sounds ridiculous but I really believe that. He reminds me so much of a Niner that was let go and then thrived with Denver....Ed McCaffrey....not fast but just knew how to get open and caught everything thrown to him. Let's hope the Niners don't make the same mistake again.
However, I know that Ziggy has to prove it on the field so let the "battle" begin.....
Been wondering the same thing but I don't think we will carry 6 Wide receivers. To be honest with you though, im not sure Jason Hill is a lock to make the team, if he countinues to struggle with hamstring injuries and either Ziegeler and/or Spurlock have a terrific TC and pre-season, I could see them making the team and Hill getting waived. Now I think/hope Jason Hill will get healthy and will make the team and countinue to have a nice future with the 49ers but it wouldn't shock me.

I think Arnaz Battle is done with this team, im suprised he already hasn't been cut but I think the team is just holding on to him to see if there is a team who has a WR go down with a injury and may call them about Battle offering a 5th or 6th rd pick.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Been wondering the same thing but I don't think we will carry 6 Wide receivers. To be honest with you though, im not sure Jason Hill is a lock to make the team, if he countinues to struggle with hamstring injuries and either Ziegeler and/or Spurlock have a terrific TC and pre-season, I could see them making the team and Hill getting waived. Now I think/hope Jason Hill will get healthy and will make the team and countinue to have a nice future with the 49ers but it wouldn't shock me.

I think Arnaz Battle is done with this team, im suprised he already hasn't been cut but I think the team is just holding on to him to see if there is a team who has a WR go down with a injury and may call them about Battle offering a 5th or 6th rd pick.

With Bruce in what should be his final year and Crabs still "hobbled," I think it would be foolish to let go of Jason Hill.

Ziegler and Spurlock are #5's on the roster at best... at this point. In 2010, I think the Niners want the trio of Crabs, Morgan, and Hill, with Jones as the #4 and Spurlock/Ziegler at #5. You drop Jason Hill and then you have to rely on Spurlock or Ziegler if one of the top-4 guys goes down. Hill is the future.

Battle's injuries are going to be his undoing.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

With Bruce in what should be his final year and Crabs still "hobbled," I think it would be foolish to let go of Jason Hill.

Ziegler and Spurlock are #5's on the roster at best... at this point. In 2010, I think the Niners want the trio of Crabs, Morgan, and Hill, with Jones as the #4 and Spurlock/Ziegler at #5. You drop Jason Hill and then you have to rely on Spurlock or Ziegler if one of the top-4 guys goes down. Hill is the future.

Battle's injuries are going to be his undoing.

Pretty much my reading. It is a nice group and there is a possibility - just a possibility - that it could develop into a great one. With the tight ends, Gore and hopefully Coffee, we could again be hearing about how the Niners have SO many weapons again.

Well, it's the off-season and I am allowed to dream!
  • GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
With the top 5 WR spots pretty much locked down (Bruce, Morgan, Hill, Jones, Crabtree), all there is to debate about the WR core is whether or not there will be a 6th WR, and if so, who that is. The conventional wisdom has been that it would most likely be Battle, with Zeigler having a slim chance to beat him out. But is that all there is to the 6th WR debate?

I starting noticing Spurlock's name popping up a lot in the 9er OTA coverage. Just little comments about great finger tip grabs, nice after the catch moves, or a noticeably good day of practice. But then I realized that it wasn't just one reporter mentioning him, it was all of them. And considering that he's an experienced (and pretty good) kick returner and a veteran that's still young, I started wondering if he might have more value to the team than Battle or Zeigler. Also, being a smaller, quicker guy, he's a type of WR we don't have a lot of.

Now, I don't think that we would keep him and let Rossum go, but that is theoretically possible as well. I think it's possible that both Rossum and Spurlock make the team.

What you guys think? Am I just bored and making up 9er intrigue where none exists? Or does Spurlock have a real shot at making this roster?

He is NOT beating out Battle....period! Battle is to valuable, and have so many assets the team can use from him to an unproven. Everything Spurlock has down Battle has done...even better!

PD
Share 49ersWebzone