LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

The 49ers have not approached Willis about an extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The 49ers have not approached Willis about an extension

The 49ers have not approached Willis about a contract extension, he said. However, the 49ers did reach a new deal with long-snappper Brian Jennings, whose deal was set to expire after the upcoming season.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/willis-expects-49ers-defense-to-be-no-worse-than-no-10.html

How does the upcoming union talks effect if the Niners should lock him up now rather than the end of his current deal?

[ Edited by global_nomad on Jun 6, 2009 at 15:46:04 ]
His deal will come just give it time.
its smart... by extending him early all you are going to do is make it harder to sign everyone else. Since his contract is mostly likely going to be much larger then everyone elses, and it will only drive their demands up if they aren't already extended. Sign your 5 cheap guys then go after the big ones, you don't ever see the first round picks signed before the 5th rounders do you (execpt in first overalls I know)?

edit: wow sorry didnt mean to hit send before reading what I wrote lol.

[ Edited by sactomkiii on Jun 6, 2009 at 14:19:53 ]
Dude they will sign him when the time comes. It's gonna take time cause he is probably gonna get a FAT contract and he deserves it. No need to panic, I'm hoping they sing him till he retires.
Not worried at all.

He's entering the 3rd year of his 5 year rookie contract. It will happen in due course.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jun 6, 2009 at 14:22:25 ]
Originally posted by luis1985:
Dude they will sign him when the time comes. It's gonna take time cause he is probably gonna get a FAT contract and he deserves it. No need to panic, I'm hoping they sing him till he retires.

I'm not panicking I'm agreeing, he deserves big money so give it to him, or at least stop pretending like he doesn't deserve it. Saying the team isn't talking to him is a sign of disrespect to me. but what do i know I'm just a fan
We will sign him.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by luis1985:

I'm not panicking I'm agreeing, he deserves big money so give it to him, or at least stop pretending like he doesn't deserve it. Saying the team isn't talking to him is a sign of disrespect to me. but what do i know I'm just a fan

I don't think they're disrespecting him at all. As stated before, he's only going into the third year of his rookie contract and as a top pick he's already being paid pretty well. While it's smart to sign players well before their original contract expires, signing them too soon could set a bad precedence. I think they'll start talking with his agent before the season is up and have something done before the beginning of next season.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
His deal will come just give it time.

For sure.
OMG...what are they thinking.

I mean seriously, he ONLY has three years left on his contract.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They will get it done, he still has time left on his rookie deal.
I'm not worried about this at all. He's our best player, he'll get it sooner or later.
Ever since Nolan got to wear his suit in the regular season, we have had nothing to be able to protest. But now there is something! Who wants to riot?

I wonder whatever happened to that dude who started the idea of wearing suits to the game. I forgot his handle on here.
The 9ers aren't going to let Willis walk away. It will get done in due time.
Don't get so excited. It is not in Willis' interests to sign a long term contract at this time. He even suggested that earlier today.

Willis' agent recognizes that he has a superstar in Patrick Willis. Willis' value is increasing by leaps and bounds each year. Willis has nothing to lose and everything to gain by waiting to sign a contract extension.

Furthermore, Mike Singletary, a Hall of Fame player, knows this. He would not insult Willis by trying to sign him right now.

I have no doubt that if the team thought they could sign Willis to an extension right now, then they would. I suspect that Willis will wait until at least next year, and possibly 2011, before he even starts thinking about an extension.
Share 49ersWebzone