There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ESPN's Clayton thinks SF will be 3rd in NFC West

If the Niners get 10 wins or more, and I agree that's hard to do, Singletary will be in the discussion for Coach of the Year.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Sounds about right to me folks.... Were still a 7 or 8 win team... Probably third in the division

Word. Don't see the tough love approach working miracles. The bottom line is talent. Niners don't have it. Aside from Willis, maybe Gore, nothing to scare people. Let's hope the direction is positive.
Warner and Hasselback are better QB's than any of the 49er QB's. But I still think the niners have a shot at winning the west. So much is riding on smith/hill and ray for a winning season. In a sense we fans are asking something that either QB has done so far in their careers.

Hill has not started a complete season and smith has never had a winning season. Either way if the niners have a winning record it will be many firsts for players on this niner's roster.

Clayton always seems to be well grounded when he gives opinions. I don't have any reason to object to this one. The players on the niner's roster will have to do things they have never done before. While the cards and seahawks simply have to do something their players have done. Its really not that hard to come to this conclusion of the niners as the 3rd best team in the west.
I think many of you guys and surprisingly, Clayton, are over-estimating the Cards and Seahawks for this season. The biggest pain in the neck in Seattle has been Peterson for the last few seasons and now he's gone. Their new FA receiver is over-rated - there isn't a cornerback on the Niners that can't run with him. The Cards could tank - Warner is getting up there and if he goes down, there's Lienart. Bolden is still disgruntled and could cause problems and I still don't see a running game. Plus, I think they too lost one of their playmakers on D.

I think the Niners can beat both these teams this year.
at some of the comments in this thread
i disagree with what he said about the cardnials. hes right about the hawks, but the cardinals lost their oc and dc in the offseason, as well as a lot of players.. this team is going to collapse this year. the hawks are our only real threat in my opinion. its them or us.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
As a Niner fan and avid reader here in the "Zone" I expect the 49ers to win the NFC West and make it deep in the playoffs. As an NFL fan I have to say that the 49ers have yet another OC and a new HC, and they are coming off of 5 straight years of losing. While a sudden turnaround may be possible, I don't think one can expect it. But also as an NFL fan, I do not see any powerhouse in the NFC West. The Cards lost their OC and DC, and have some locker room issues. Seattle lost their HC and Peterson, and their QB is older and has back issues. The Rams have been losing for years, like the 49ers, and have a new HC, and an unproven OL. So I think there is no clear top-dawg in the NFC West.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
As a Niner fan and avid reader here in the "Zone" I expect the 49ers to win the NFC West and make it deep in the playoffs. As an NFL fan I have to say that the 49ers have yet another OC and a new HC, and they are coming off of 5 straight years of losing. While a sudden turnaround may be possible, I don't think one can expect it. But also as an NFL fan, I do not see any powerhouse in the NFC West. The Cards lost their OC and DC, and have some locker room issues. Seattle lost their HC and Peterson, and their QB is older and has back issues. The Rams have been losing for years, like the 49ers, and have a new HC, and an unproven OL. So I think there is no clear top-dawg in the NFC West.

So you basically agree with me even though you were being difficult about it in another thread. I see.
  • JulandEdward49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
eh i agree. seahawks to me are the best in the west they were just injured last season then i got cards second and us third. especaily considering we got a new offense coordinator again which i still think is NOT an upgrade over martz.

We should have kept martz. totally agree on that one
I could see us going 7-9/8-8, and placing second or third in the division this year.

Let's face it people; Arizona is better than us, and possibly much better. We are pretty close with Seatle, though they may have a step on us, simply because of their QB. The Rams are in flux, as we were in 2005.

My expectations are slightly higher than they were last year. I would be happy to make the playoffs. Next year, we should compete for the division.
I don't understand how anyone is so sure the Cards are better than the Niners when the Niners came within a play or two of beating them twice last year. They've lost some playmakers, Boldin is disgruntled, their running game is up in the air and Warner is a year older with Lienart sitting there behind him. I've got news for all of you: the Cards could tank big time this year.
  • JediNiner
  • Info N/A
Pundits know that 5-6 playoff teams turnover annually, yet their predictions are just replays of the prior year.

Clayton's bold predictions: Bills (T.O.), Bears (Cutler), and Pats (Brady) will be better in 2009. Wow. Really provacative analysis.
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by King49er:
at some of the comments in this thread

No kidding!!

Now I don't know what side of the fence you come down on, but here's where I stand:

Every year in the off-season, it's the same senseless hysteria. About how great we are and how NOW things are going to be different. What is true OTOH is that unless you actually change the way you do things, you cannot expect things to be different. Well how about us? What exactly has changed?

Ownership: Same
Talent evaluator: Same
HC: Was the assistant HC with the team the previous 3-4 years. So what exactly is new, other than the HYPE he receives for having done essentially NOTHING? May ACTUALLY be worse than the outgoing HC. We don't know.

Now there's probably going to be a flood of indignant commentary, so l have to digress and explain how I see it. What exactly did Singletary contribute to the alleged "turnaround" last year? He did not call the offensive plays. He did not call the defensive plays. All processes and personnel were in place when he took over.

Oh, he did stand wide-eyed on the sidelines OTOH . . . frozen . . . when he could actually have helped. Anyone remember the clock mismanagement at the end of the Arizona game? I watched. MS looked like a lost puppy out there, with a "huh, what happened?" expression on his face. Similar mismanagement at the conclusion of the Miami game. IMO the season played out how it was going to play out - MS or no MS. In fact, with some more credible leadership interceding at critical times, we should have made the play-offs. MS showed me that he was not a cool head, who could crisis manage at game-time.

People are going to say "he pulled JTO." So he's a genius for pulling JTO? That move was in the cards anyway. EVERYBODY could see a change was needed. It didn't take a stroke of genius and probably would have happened whoever was the HC. MS was LUCKY that ASmith was on IR and he HAD to play SHill. Otherwise GUARANTEED ASmith would have gone in and Singletary would have been out of a job with the Niners at season's end. He thought so much of SHill he wanted to pull him during the Rams game. And he shamelessly continues to disrespect SHill by not acknowledging him as starter, if only by name (it's only a title for crissakes, OF COURSE there should be competition, but show the QB who saved your a$$ some respect man!). MS is IMO a "knee jerk" coach, not an analytical one. The jury is WAAAAY out on him . . . so just hold on before you annoint him "Coach of the Year".

Back to what has changed with the Organization:

DC: Same

Position coaches: Same, except for Rathman (potentially great move; but questionable exactly how much impact he can have), brought in some family members and fired one of the OL coaches (good move on its face)

OC: CHANGE. OK this is the ONLY significant change over last year. Frankly IMO I'm not convinced that this is an upgrade. You're going to hear snide remarks about how Martz is out of a job, etc, etc. BUT he was a superbowl winning offensive mind. He was egotistical in the past perhaps, but there was every indication that life had taught him some hard lessons and he was now willing to take direction. Except Singletary (the ultimate motivator who can change/work with anybody ) couldn't work with him. (Too smart, I suspect). What followed was a OC-search debacle. Now we have Raye. I don't know him. And even though his resume is not stellar, I will not judge him until we see the product he puts on the field. And then he's fair game!

Player changes: None of significance. Except, potentially, Crabtree (we shall see). Hopefully, MSmith (again, we'll see; no better than JJennings, hopefully less injury prone)

Despite the foregoing, Some are "tough talking" about how we are so much better now and "how dare the analysts predict we won't sweep our division". Well, don't look now but, unlike us, the other teams in the division have upgraded significantly. The Rams are going to have significantly improved O and D lines. Coaching should be better also. Seattle have a previously decimated team returning healthy among other off-season additions. Despite Holmgrens resignation, they have coaching continuity there that is akin to ours. Cardinals have shored up their major weakness: RB. Their organization at the top is unchanged from last year. They went to the SB (show some respect until we actuall prove something)

Now . . . I'm not pessimistic about the future. Every off-season I think "this is going to be the year" . . . because I have no other choice other than to hope that way. But have some HUMILITY, people. The sheer ARROGANCE of some fans reflects poorly on their ability to look at things dispassionately. You'd think after the experiences of the recent past people would wait until the team actually shows something on the field before manufacturing a false reality.

Alright now NHAP . . . have at it!
"The jury is WAAAAY out on him . . . so just hold on before you annoint him "Coach of the Year"."

What I said was that if the team went 10-6, he'd be in the conversation. Of course the jury is out - he's never coached a team for a full season.
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
"The jury is WAAAAY out on him . . . so just hold on before you annoint him "Coach of the Year"."

What I said was that if the team went 10-6, he'd be in the conversation. Of course the jury is out - he's never coached a team for a full season.

Yep . . . you're right. Sorry. I didn't intend to be calling you out as I did not recall that you had made that specific remark. Just the idea of pre-canonizing him is what I was getting at. Not you.