There are 238 users in the forums

ESPN's Clayton thinks SF will be 3rd in NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I understand that we aren't Super Bowl contenders right now. I understand that we may still be a 7-9 or 8-8 team. But, how can anyone see the Seahawks go 4-12 and us go 7-9 and they surpass us by at least 4 or 5 games?

They may have had a better offseason, but it still doesn't make sense. I don't see it. And, a healthy Hasselbeck? I'll believe it when I see it.

What a geekferd. He should be teaching chemistry, not making NFL predictions. I don't know why people listen to this garbage. 9 out of 10 times these so-called analysts are wrong anyways.
  • ashton
  • Info N/A
He's taking safe bet with the Tards b/c they won the west last season. He's putting Seattle 2nd b/c:

Clayton has been a talk show host on KJR Radio, in Seattle, Wash., since 1990. He was the NFL and Seattle Seahawks beat writer for the Tacoma News Tribune since 1986 through 1998.

Opinions are like a**holes and Clayton is a big hole with irrelevant opinions.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Sounds about right to me folks.... Were still a 7 or 8 win team... Probably third in the division

8-8 is my guess.
  • 49ermanforlife49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Tyler82:
Q: How is Alex Smith coming along and does he have a shot to be the 49ers' starter this year? Do you think the 49ers have a shot to make the playoffs this year? Mike in Mexico City A: Smith is throwing but he hasn't made a move yet to win the job. Shaun Hill heads into training camp with the edge. Still, Smith does have a shot because he's still young and has plenty of talent. [b]The Seahawks clearly had a better offseason than the 49ers, and the Cardinals are a better team right now as long as Kurt Warner stays healthy. The return of Matt Hasselbeck should allow the Seahawks' offense to improve by five to six points a game. It would take a great season from Michael Crabtree to cause such a jump in the 49ers' offense. I'd say going in that the 49ers are third in the NFC West and not ready to be a winning team -- yet.[/b] John Clayton, a recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's McCann Award for distinguished reporting, is a senior writer for ESPN.com. WOW Im alittle suprised tha

When I was at home checking my 49er schedule on
49erswebzone.com
, I ask myself do we have a chance to win the west? So I wrote down what our record might be, for the 2009 season.

Week 1 49ers vs cardinals WIN the only way we"ll lose that game if we don't presure kurt warner but if we come out with a strong pass rush we should get the big W

Week 2 seahawks vs 49ers WIN I still think seahawks a dangerous team but guess what no mike holmgrem and let's just hope coach mora don't know how to coach

Week 3 49ers vs vikings WIN I feel that we got tekeo spikes and p willis can shut adrian peterson down let's just hope none of them don't get hurt

Week 4 rams vs 49ers WIN are you serious total blowout lol like we always say same old sorry ass rams

Week 5 falcons vs 49ers WIN it will be a tough game but I feel we should win because we at home

Week 6 bye week

Week 7 49ers vs Texians LOST this will be a tough game and they are a upcomimg team

Week 8 49ers vs colts LOST in that dome peyton manning have a field day on us that's my opinion

Week 9 titans vs 49ers WIN titans too overated

Week 10 bears. vs 49ers LOST bears got a good defense can weak havoc and they also got hestler on kickoff return scary

Week 11 49ers vs packers WIN no brett fart no chance beating the 9ers in lambo field

Week 12 jaguars vs 49ers WIN good offense but suspect team

Week 13 49ers vs seahawks win
Bring out the broom

Week 14 cardinals v s 49ers WIN sweep best in the west

Week 15 49er vs eagles WIN no dawkins no sheppard

Week 16 lions vs 49ers WIN we own them no worries

Week 17 49ers vs rams Win you kidding me yeah right

Bye the way the check us out on youtube 49ersempiresouth memphis chapter go niners

I think we can go 13 wins 3 lost what do you think guys?
  • 49ermanforlife49
  • Info N/A
49erswebzone.com
, I ask myself do we have a chance to win the west? So I wrote down what our record might be, for the 2009 season.

Week 1 49ers vs cardinals WIN the only way we"ll lose that game if we don't presure kurt warner but if we come out with a strong pass rush we should get the big W

Week 2 seahawks vs 49ers WIN I still think seahawks a dangerous team but guess what no mike holmgrem and let's just hope coach mora don't know how to coach

Week 3 49ers vs vikings WIN I feel that we got tekeo spikes and p willis can shut adrian peterson down let's just hope none of them don't get hurt

Week 4 rams vs 49ers WIN are you serious total blowout lol like we always say same old sorry ass rams

Week 5 falcons vs 49ers WIN it will be a tough game but I feel we should win because we at home

Week 6 bye week

Week 7 49ers vs Texians LOST this will be a tough game and they are a upcomimg team

Week 8 49ers vs colts LOST in that dome peyton manning have a field day on us that's my opinion

Week 10 bears. vs 49ers LOST bears got a good defense can weak havoc and they also got hestler on kickoff return scary

Week 11 49ers vs packers WIN no brett fart no chance beating the 9ers in lambo field

Bring out the broom

Bye the way the check us out on youtube 49ersempiresouth memphis chapter go niners

• 49ermanforlife49
  • Info N/A
They just don't like us 9ers
It takes two sides of the ball for a team to win, and Seattle has no defense...
Originally posted by 49ermanforlife49:
49erswebzone.com

Week 6 bye week

Bring out the broom

I think your nuts, but hell, I sure hope your right!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Not too far-fetched really. In all honesty, I see there being a tie between the 2nd and 3rd teams in the NFC West.

Our offensive success will greatly be attributed to three main things which are still question marks (not in order):

1. The utilization of Vernon Davis in the passing game.
2. The health of the Offensive Line.
3. The growth, progress, and performance of our young receivers in Hill, Morgan, and Crabtree.

If we get all that, we'll be much more explosive than many expect. But I think we're a 9-win team right now.

Actually I'd say:

2 should be #1
3 should be #2
1 should be #3

A healthy OL means the running game is credible and pass protection is enough to get Bruce and who ever steps up the ball for 3rd down conversions. VD only becomes a threat if the WRs stretch the field enough to be a threat to open the seam routes, but that can only happen if the QB has time to throw the ball. In the case of both of these QBs, neither has proven even when a receiver gets behind a defense they can deliver it with accuracy consistently to the deep open man. So pass-protection is key.

Others have said it and I'll echo -

As the health of the OL goes, so goes the season. And clearly of the teams in our division, our OL is currently 3rd best only probably better than the Rams until proven otherwise.

Great post.....we're taking a HUGE gamble in M.Smith, he may turn out to be great or Jonas Jennings I don't know. If he goes down we're in huge trouble but I think we have the depth to get by with injuries at C (Wallace plus Baas and Wragge can play there) G behind Baas, Rachel we have Wraage and Snyder who can do ok.

Week 1 49ers vs cardinals LOSS
cards home opener they will be fired up , i doubt we in this one but i expect a CLOSE score .

Week 2 seahawks vs 49ers WIN
yea we rebound from zona loss and its our home opener so no way in hell we lose here.

Week 3 49ers vs vikings Loss
tough team on the road, but this can very easily be a win too this one im thinking most conservatively, but im assuming a close loss.

Week 4 rams vs 49ers WIN
playing the rams.... enough said

Week 5 falcons vs 49ers WIN
close game once again , i think we'll barley squeak it out

Week 6 bye week so going into the bye im predicting a 3-2 record

Week 7 49ers vs Texians LOST
this one tough to call cause we will have 2 weeks to prepare for this team but i feel we could let down here with a close loss to a good team

Week 8 49ers vs colts LOST
im predicting this will be our first blowout and prolly only blowout loss this year.

Week 9 titans LOSS
very good titans team

Week 10 bears. vs 49ers WIN
i know they got jay cutler but our defense gives him problems and we will rebound after losing 3 at home. remember we took jay cutler's broncos out of playoffs few years back

Week 11 49ers vs packers WIN
packers are overated and i think well win a close game here cause it is at lambo

Week 12 jaguars vs 49ers LOSS
jags got a very good Oline and potent running attack i think they barley squeak by

Week 13 49ers vs seahawks LOSS
seahawks on the road against 12th man, with hasslebeck and TJ lookin for payback.

Week 14 cardinals v s 49ers WIN
close one we barley win out MNF at home.

Week 15 49er vs eagles LOSS
eagles are no joke, and they always seem to kill us . close game im thinking

Week 16 lions vs 49ers WIN

lions suck still

Week 17 49ers vs rams Win
lambs suck ok.

also i predicted we be 8-8 before and i didnt count these wins up at all while doin each breakdown and still came up with 8-8. so yeah think this will be our record and not a bad one i say for an improving team.
[img=http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/john_clayton.jpg

Who gives a f**k what this peabody south park look a like has to say. 49ers are 11-5 and wining the west next.
[ Edited by 49er4eva on May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM ]
clayton can lick nuts after we win the west !
[ Edited by YuNGaCE on May 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM ]
  • afg49
  • Info N/A
TELL CLAYTON PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR HAIR BEFORE U TALK OR AT LEAST JUS DO RADIO
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
What a buncha bulls**t,the shehawks are as bad as than they were last year,we have improved(fired Nolan and Martz the moron).

we did nothin really to improve this offseason,and a martz system is better for crabtree because he ran the spread offense with the red raiders so our run first offense won't really benefit our first round pick. marvel smith for jonas jennings is about gettin the same player really. brandon jones ? give me a break. seahawks had both starting WRs out last year and Hasslebeck and still kicked our ass on our home turf. they gettin TJ housh, Deon branch , Hasslebeck and now Curry , they would have easily won the NFC west last year if they stayed healthy and i dont see us having a better record than zona. im not being a downer i really hope we win the superbowl every year but being realistic here. i see it ending like this

1. Seahawks 10-6
2. Arizona 9-7
3. 49ers 8-8
4. Rams 4-12

I don't think they would have easily won the west last year. Better give some credit to Zona don't you think?

Now, last year the Seachickens got whacked with injuries. But non the less, they still had questions irrespective of injuries. I think they will win more than 4 this year, how much I don't know.

Looking at them, the addition of Housh is not a major upgrade, it is a lateral move because they lost Engram this year who is every bit as good as Housh if not better. Branch, has yet to produce squat for them, not sure that will change, he can't seem to stay healthy.

The addition of Curry is another lateral move...they are essential trying to replace JP. And it is also very likely that Curry does not perform as well as JP would have this year...he's a rook replacing a very good savvy veteran. Chances are, the LB unit drops off a bit this year.

They lost Bernard on the d-line, and replaced him with Cole. This is generally perceived to be a downgrade. Cole is about suck ass at interior run defense, can't take a double team, and is blown off the ball frequently in the single block. I am looking forward to running against this team now, right down their throat...Mebane and Bernard were a good tandem, Mebane and Cole is likely to benefit us. Don't expect Kerney to return to anything like two years ago, if he even returns for any period of time.

There are question marks all over the team with regards to injuries. Hass? Big Walt? Branch? Kerney? All of them were old when they were injured, are a year older now, all of them coming off injuries, missing any of one them puts A BIG DENT in the team. They are key player's, each one makes their respective unit respectable and the drop off in the unit is big when one of them is out. At least one of those players will not make it through more than a couple of games next year, IMHO. More than one will likely not make it through the entire season...they are all big question marks right now, and old.

The biggest factor, is Holmgren leaving. You can figure Holmgren got more mileage out of that team than Mora ever will. Bank on it. I don't think Seattle would have gotten 4 wins last year with Mora running the show instead of Holmgren. There is going to be some drop off from Holmgren not being the coach, how much is the only question.

The Seachickens not a lock, far from it.
[ Edited by Blitz on May 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone