There are 117 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Battle vs. Zeigler - Finish The Fight!

Battle vs. Zeigler - Finish The Fight!

Also who knows if there are any cuts looming..
I would rather give Ziegler a shot. Let him show if he can become a decent slot receiver.

We know what Battle can do. And thats nothing special. I want to see what Ziegler can do.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genz22:
How bout neither....

Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Bruce, Morgan....

Yes.

Throw Ziggy on the PS and bring him up if any of the WR's get injured.
Battle's gone
Originally posted by Chief:
I would rather Battle.

Battle had a good run for the Niners. But I just don't see him getting on the field much with this improved receivers corp. I think I would rather see the Niners go with the younger guy.
  • JulandEdward49
  • Info N/A
i personally like zeigler, i don't know, i just like something about the guy
but i think battle is the safer option, he's proved himself a nfl caliber reciever, and he adds a lot of strength to our receiving core
undecided
The problem with Battle is not with his attitude, determination or even talent. His problem is health....or lack thereof. During the last several seasons, he has shown he can't practice when his knee flares up and that has been occurring more frequently.
I love the way the guy p;ays but I don't think he is the same player as he was a couple of years ago...or even last year. Frankly, I think he is too big of a risk to put on the active roster. I'm also pretty sure Zeigler doesn't have any more practice squad eligibility so if the Niners want to keep him, he must make the final roster. He's got great hands and just makes plays...I say keep him.
Zeigler will be back on the practice squad and Battle will make the team. Either we keep 6 WRs or someone goes down with an injury and we keep 5. Battle is Singletary's type of player, even if he isn't the most purely talented WR on the team. The guy does everything from running solid patterns to blocking to playing solid ST. Plus with Bruce's pending retirement, I doubt they want to let any WRs go and will overstock WRs this year if they have to. Assuming Bruce does retire after this season, the Zeigler vs. Battle competition could continue into next year's camp.
  • GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
Yea lets trade Battle. He is only our best blocker and best receiver in the clutch. C'mon guys!!! This guy has only been a good team player for all these years. Go ahead and trade him to the seahawks or rams if you want to, and when he start catching clutch, after clutch, after clutch catches, then what? Let the Training Camp decide these people fates.

PD
If Battle can stay healthy his blocking skills will help him survive the cut.
Barring a trade, I think neither will make the team. But if one of them does, they MUST be able to play special teams, so that would give the edge to Battle.
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Can we start a thread on Hill vs. Zeigler? I mean, it's not like Hill is lighting the world on fire and we should automatically assume that he will be one of the top 5 WR's, or even make this team.

Maybe the 6.0 yards per catch in his last three games (8 catches for 48 yards) is sexy to some people, but am I missing something here?

At least Battle has proven year-in, year-out that he can play the game. What has Hill done to warrant a free pass on the roster next season?

LOL. What a joke. Let's see here:

Arnaz Battle's first 2 years:

receptions: 8
Yards: 143
TDs: 0

Jason Hill's first 2 years:

receptions: 31
yards: 323
TDs: 2

Oh yea, add in the facts that Hill does not have chronic knee issues and he is 5 years younger and his salary is cheaper.

Let's see your mindless unintelligent response to this one. Oh wait, aren't you the one to say draft Carriker instead of PWillie? Oh yea, Parys Haralson will never do anything either right?

Bottomline: If you respected and wished Battle well, you would hope he catches on with another team instead of being a 5th 6th WR on ours.

Let's see...Battle came on board in 2003 and sat behind Terrell Owens, Tai Streets (who never really panned out) and Brandon Llyodd (pre-alligator arms).
Hill came on board and we had who? Yeah that's about what I thought.
Not to mention that Battle was drafted 6th and Hill in the early 3rd? Expectations must be different for the first couple of years.

So going back to current production..when Battle is healthy, he's one of our best WRs.

As for Carriker...I was on that bandwagon too..but don't forget..it wasn't a Carriker for Willis deal...we all agreed that willis was the superior player...it was Carriker and David harris. Carriker has been playing NT..so his stats aren't pretty..he would have been a DE for us. and Harris has been a very solid ILB for the Jets.

If the choice were mine to make and I could make it with hindsight, I'd probably go Willis...but it'd still take some thought.
[ Edited by Jakemall on May 15, 2009 at 10:46 AM ]
why don't they use Battle in the wild-cat formation?
Very well said, Jake. I'm really surprised (guess I shouldn't be) at the overall lack of respect for Battle and what he has done for SF throughout some lousy years. It's one thing to say Battle should go because of his latest injury concerns... or that he deserves to go to a team that will give him more playing time while allowing our younger guys play. Many posts here seem to just dismiss Battle as if he were and had done nothing to garner more respect.

Also the comment about Carriker is not unappreciated. I still think Carriker would have been a monster DE for our 3-4. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have someone of Willis' talents in SF. It's just a question of building a defense from the trenches first that appeals to me.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Can we start a thread on Hill vs. Zeigler? I mean, it's not like Hill is lighting the world on fire and we should automatically assume that he will be one of the top 5 WR's, or even make this team.

Maybe the 6.0 yards per catch in his last three games (8 catches for 48 yards) is sexy to some people, but am I missing something here?

At least Battle has proven year-in, year-out that he can play the game. What has Hill done to warrant a free pass on the roster next season?

LOL. What a joke. Let's see here:

Arnaz Battle's first 2 years:

receptions: 8
Yards: 143
TDs: 0

Jason Hill's first 2 years:

receptions: 31
yards: 323
TDs: 2

Oh yea, add in the facts that Hill does not have chronic knee issues and he is 5 years younger and his salary is cheaper.

Let's see your mindless unintelligent response to this one. Oh wait, aren't you the one to say draft Carriker instead of PWillie? Oh yea, Parys Haralson will never do anything either right?

Bottomline: If you respected and wished Battle well, you would hope he catches on with another team instead of being a 5th 6th WR on ours.

Let's see...Battle came on board in 2003 and sat behind Terrell Owens, Tai Streets (who never really panned out) and Brandon Llyodd (pre-alligator arms).
Hill came on board and we had who? Yeah that's about what I thought.
Not to mention that Battle was drafted 6th and Hill in the early 3rd? Expectations must be different for the first couple of years.

Not sure what your argument is here. Besides TO (who was a beast), who did we have? You already admitted Tai Streets didn't pan out (already prone) and Brandon Lloyd pre-alligator arms? He was pre-alligator arm because he also was a ROOKIE along with Battle. They were drafted the same year, so what is your point here? Yeah, I thought so.

So going back to current production..when Battle is healthy, he's one of our best WRs.

As for Carriker...I was on that bandwagon too..but don't forget..it wasn't a Carriker for Willis deal...we all agreed that willis was the superior player...it was Carriker and David harris. Carriker has been playing NT..so his stats aren't pretty..he would have been a DE for us. and Harris has been a very solid ILB for the Jets.

If the choice were mine to make and I could make it with hindsight, I'd probably go Willis...but it'd still take some thought.

If you still have to think about this in hindsight then this debate is over. Not only has Carriker failed to live up to his hype, he does NOT play NT. He plays DT in a 4-3. And it's not about his stats. He has failed to improve the Lambs lack of run defense or pass defense for that matter. As for Harris, there was no guarantee he would've been available with our 2nd rounder. He's not even that good. Ask Jets fans what they think about Harris this year: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8301/career;_ylt=As.iBoSDUXicoQ9MFS6l2Fb.uLYF