There are 289 users in the forums

Battle vs. Zeigler - Finish The Fight!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Battle vs. Zeigler - Finish The Fight!

Z= won't cost us much to keep unlike Battle
Z= has upside / Battle reached his
Z= healthy / Battle injerd often.
Z= fast / slow and knee problem
isnt this battle's last year under contract?
Originally posted by Conejo:
Originally posted by IWantWinners:
i'd rather

then to discuss these two

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Breaking out the "written for the 1000th time script" in four, three, two, one...

Battle was the leading receiver for the Niners before he went down with his injury in 2009. More than Bruce, more than Hill, more than Zeigler, more than Morgan, more than B. Jones, more than B. Johnson.

Urban legend debunked: Battle played more than 40+ consecutive games before having his season cut short in 2009. He may be dinged in practice, he may sit out practices, but when the lights come on, he plays.

P.S. After all that Battle has done for this team, why does it seem like 80% of this board is eager to get rid of him? I will never, ever, ever understand.

Because hes not talked about on ESPN, isnt brought up in convos with other fans of other teams, doesnt typically make the high light reel, and isnt a big name.

Bottom line: real fans will appreciate guys like Battle. Most other fans will always be like "Who the fk is that and why is he still here?" Because unfortunately Battle has been around when we sucked a@@ too so he's automatically associated with "suckiness."
I like Battle as a player. I wished they would have used him with more trick plays.

For a 6th Round pick, he has been a draft "success" He still has the chronic knee problems (they injected that stuff in his knee 2 offseasons ago).

I remember when he was the #1 WR and there was a discussion that one day we would have a true #1 (get Javon Walker was one of them) and he would make a great #2 or #3. Well, the day has come where he is battling (pardon the pun) for the 6th WR slot when we probably won't keep six. It means that we now have more talent / depth and / or that he has declined such he is no longer in the top 3.

In any event, it is neither good nor bad. It just is. He has made millions as a converted QB. He has been an admirable 49er. I certainly don't hate him but I don't see him making the roster. If he gets cut, I'll hoist a malted beverage in his honor but I won't get worked up over it. I will, however, wish him the best
[ Edited by wysiwyg on May 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM ]
Can we start a thread on Hill vs. Zeigler? I mean, it's not like Hill is lighting the world on fire and we should automatically assume that he will be one of the top 5 WR's, or even make this team.

Maybe the 6.0 yards per catch in his last three games (8 catches for 48 yards) is sexy to some people, but am I missing something here?

At least Battle has proven year-in, year-out that he can play the game. What has Hill done to warrant a free pass on the roster next season?

LOL. What a joke. Let's see here:

Arnaz Battle's first 2 years:

receptions: 8
Yards: 143
TDs: 0

Jason Hill's first 2 years:

receptions: 31
yards: 323
TDs: 2

Oh yea, add in the facts that Hill does not have chronic knee issues and he is 5 years younger and his salary is cheaper.

Let's see your mindless unintelligent response to this one. Oh wait, aren't you the one to say draft Carriker instead of PWillie? Oh yea, Parys Haralson will never do anything either right?

Bottomline: If you respected and wished Battle well, you would hope he catches on with another team instead of being a 5th 6th WR on ours.
[ Edited by kronik on May 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Can we start a thread on Hill vs. Zeigler? I mean, it's not like Hill is lighting the world on fire and we should automatically assume that he will be one of the top 5 WR's, or even make this team.

Maybe the 6.0 yards per catch in his last three games (8 catches for 48 yards) is sexy to some people, but am I missing something here?

At least Battle has proven year-in, year-out that he can play the game. What has Hill done to warrant a free pass on the roster next season?

Oh yea, add in the facts that Hill does not have chronic knee issues and he is 5 years younger and his salary is cheaper.

Let's see your mindless unintelligent response to this one. Oh wait, aren't you the one to say draft Carriker instead of PWillie?

Are you serious? Hill is in his 3rd year and was regarded as a project when he was drafted, showed solid hands last year. No way will they consider cutting him at this point. Arnaz Battle is going to be 30, hes injury prone and due around 3 mil next year. I would still keep Battle over Zeigler

Let's see your mindless unintelligent response to this one. Oh wait, aren't you the one to say draft Carriker instead of PWillie? Oh yea, Parys Haralson will never do anything either right?

Bottomline: If you respected and wished Battle well, you would hope he catches on with another team instead of being a 5th 6th WR on ours.

Let's not forget that Hill went to my Alma Mater, Sacred Heart. Name the other SH (now SHC) alum to play for the 49ers (Kevin Gogan, who was 2 years ahead of me). Gogan played 1B, PF on the Basketball team, and well the ENTIRE offensive line LOL. I had Gogan's brother as a teacher.

Big ups to Riordan Alum Derek Loville.

I wouldn't be upset if we signed Igor Olshansky (because we have the Bruce-Mahoney)

Oh wait, Hill is also a natural WR, with more speed (sub 4.4 at the combine blah blah blah), and he REALLY came on at the end of the year. Hill is learning from one of the best in Bruce.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:

Are you serious? Hill is in his 3rd year and was regarded as a project when he was drafted, showed solid hands last year. No way will they consider cutting him at this point. Arnaz Battle is going to be 30, hes injury prone and due around 3 mil next year. I would still keep Battle over Zeigler

Keep in mind, this is the same poster that wanted the 9ers to keep Derek Smith and draft Carriker instead of PWIllie. WHen it was obvious to most of us that Derek Smith was a shell of what he used to be. He obviously has the same issue with Arnaz Battle.

Originally posted by RichmondPete:

Keep in mind, this is the same poster that wanted the 9ers to keep Derek Smith and draft Carriker instead of PWIllie. WHen it was obvious to most of us that Derek Smith was a shell of what he used to be. He obviously has the same issue with Arnaz Battle.

Hai Guyz

What's going on this thread

crabtree, morgan, hill, bruce and jones. if we keep 6 i like Z since he's cheaper, younger, healthier than battle and he can jump higher and is a way bigger target than battle for redzone opportunities. if we keep 6 its gonna be Z

I agree regaarding Hill, but you need to compare like with like. Battle's first two years were spent learning a new position. Statistically they are really not comparable.

That being said, Hill will surely stick unless he screws up big time this summer. I suspect both Battle and Z will not make the final cut.

But I can't see anyone giving up a 5th or 6th round pick for him. Why should they when all they have to do is wait? Although, maybe Nolan will trade for him?
Originally posted by English:

I agree regaarding Hill, but you need to compare like with like. Battle's first two years were spent learning a new position. Statistically they are really not comparable.

That being said, Hill will surely stick unless he screws up big time this summer. I suspect both Battle and Z will not make the final cut.

But I can't see anyone giving up a 5th or 6th round pick for him. Why should they when all they have to do is wait? Although, maybe Nolan will trade for him?

Agreed. But my point was this: MD is claiming "what has Hill done to get a free pass this year?" Well, what did Battle do in his first 2 years to get a free pass in his 3rd year?

Look, I appreciate Battle for what he has done which is mediocre. I don't hate the guy nor wish him any misfortune. But a smart GM (aka Bill Walsh) would trade or let go of an aging injury prone player a year early rather than a year too late. By releasing or trading Battle early, it gives Battle a better chance to be productive for his next team and it also allows our younger guys to gain more experience whether it's from games or practice time.

Football is truly a young man's sport and NFL teams don't keep players on their squads due to sentimental reasons. It's all about "what have you done for me lately" or "potential" or "salary cap friendly players" Neither of those are in Battle's favor.

As for Nolan trading for him? I don't think even he is stupid enough to think Battle is worth a 5th or 6th. Aging WR's just aren't worth much. Hell, stars like Tory Holt and Marvin Harrison have had problems finding teams.
[ Edited by kronik on May 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone