LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 165 users in the forums

Crabtree and the running game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If Sheets doesn't make the roster...i'll be pretty upset...

[ Edited by zozell on Sep 2, 2009 at 16:52:09 ]
Originally posted by zozell:

At least Sheets does not ask for a bigger contract because he should have been drafted at least. I believe he will make the team. What they wanted him to prove was that can he run hard. Well he has been running pretty hard. Even my friends who are Cowboys fans were telling me, "Who the f**k is Sheets? what round did you guys draft him in?" I was like na man he wanted to sign with the 9ers after he failed to get drafted. If he turns out to be a bad ass, the rest of the league will be FacePalmin it.
Originally posted by rum53:
Originally posted by Joecool:
For a receiver to change the way a defense plays, that receiver must make the defense pay for concentrating on the run first.

Defenses are not going to double Crabtree or any of our receivers when we first play them unless there is something to defend.

Gore will see an 8 man front until proven otherwise.

We are starting to have enough weapons on offense to keep the defense honest. We have four young WR's (Crabtree, Morgan, Hill & Jones) and two TE's (Davis & Walker) ready to prove themselves.

Let's be conservative and say just 2 of the 6 young players prove to be NFL playmakers this season. That is two more playmakers than we had in the past 4 seasons.

September update: April 4 WR, now 1.5.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
For a receiver to change the way a defense plays, that receiver must make the defense pay for concentrating on the run first.

Defenses are not going to double Crabtree or any of our receivers when we first play them unless there is something to defend.

Correct. You also need a QB that threatens a defense. I don't think we have that.

a lot of zoners dont understand that theory

Man tell me about it. Sheets brings a dimension to the Niners offense that they haven't seen for quite sometime. Which is a breakaway threat at the rb position.
Originally posted by aacadena:

At least Sheets does not ask for a bigger contract because he should have been drafted at least. I believe he will make the team. What they wanted him to prove was that can he run hard. Well he has been running pretty hard. Even my friends who are Cowboys fans were telling me, "Who the f**k is Sheets? what round did you guys draft him in?" I was like na man he wanted to sign with the 9ers after he failed to get drafted. If he turns out to be a bad ass, the rest of the league will be FacePalmin it.

Is that true? He really wanted to come here after not being drafted? If so, pretty friggin sweet. Do you know if other teams were interested, tried to sign him?
I sure hope he gets on the field sooner than later to help this team out
Should change the title of this thread to If he signs............which is still unbelievable to me.
Originally posted by 5TIME49:

Is that true? He really wanted to come here after not being drafted? If so, pretty friggin sweet. Do you know if other teams were interested, tried to sign him?

Yeah it me surprised me as well that he wanted to sign here knowing that we had drafted Coffee in the 3rd.

But supposedly he had other offers as well. The Falcons and Giants showed interest and he worked out for the Eagles.

linkage

-9fA
  • dj43

Correct. You also need a QB that threatens a defense. I don't think we have that.
That was my point in the mistake thread.

Why would Crabtree WANT to play for the 49ers? It is a power running scheme with a QB who can't break a pane of glass at 15 yards.

Originally posted by dj43:

Why would Crabtree WANT to play for the 49ers? It is a power running scheme with a QB who can't break a pane of glass at 15 yards.

Because power running teams make the playoffs more often. How about 40% of the the plays are passes. How about your QB's best asset is the ability to throw the shorter passes. an area where you excel the most being a slot player.

Look being the 13th ranked QB is real good comparing the WR's we had last yr. No im not saying hill is anything more than a pretty good QB but that is better than half the league. Ill take that. for now.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by 5TIME49:

Yeah it me surprised me as well that he wanted to sign here knowing that we had drafted Coffee in the 3rd.

But supposedly he had other offers as well. The Falcons and Giants showed interest and he worked out for the Eagles.

linkage

-9fA

That is very nice to hear. Thank you
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Because power running teams make the playoffs more often. How about 40% of the the plays are passes. How about your QB's best asset is the ability to throw the shorter passes. an area where you excel the most being a slot player.

Look being the 13th ranked QB is real good comparing the WR's we had last yr. No im not saying hill is anything more than a pretty good QB but that is better than half the league. Ill take that. for now.

THIS!
It only helps our passing game if the QB can make the pass (I'm not always convinced) and the line can give him time to throw (again, not always convinced).
  • dj43
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

With Vernon Davis scheduled to catch a lot of balls, there isn't much room for another receiver operating in the same area. Also, Crabtree was not used exclusively in the slot. Further, the slot is the hardest position to learn.

Being a power running team may get you INTO the playoffs but you must be able to throw the ball very well to win a Super Bowl. Since Parcells' Giants, there hasn't been a power running team that has won it, even then Simms could go deep with authority when the occasion demanded it.

I still believe there is reason to believe the 49er offensive plans are a negative in Crabtree's eyes. It simply is not a very exciting prospect for a guy coming from a spread offense that was a lot of fun for a receiver to play in.
Share 49ersWebzone