There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shawntae Spencer

Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I've seen T.O. embarrass Champ Baily in his prime...as well as Charles Woodson (Raiders)...

although Woodson seems like he has reached his prime twice..if that makes sense.

Rice beat Sanders.

Everybody gets beat. Everyone makes mistakes and there's always gonna be a bigger fish.

This, but the CBs you guys have listed were burned by big-time receivers. The thing that bothers me about our CBs is that they get beat pretty often and by young and/or no-name WRs.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I've seen T.O. embarrass Champ Baily in his prime...as well as Charles Woodson (Raiders)...

although Woodson seems like he has reached his prime twice..if that makes sense.

Rice beat Sanders.

Everybody gets beat. Everyone makes mistakes and there's always gonna be a bigger fish.

This, but the CBs you guys have listed were burned by big-time receivers. The thing that bothers me about our CBs is that they get beat pretty often and by young and/or no-name WRs.

yeah, but take into consideration how the outcome played out.... against the Panthers the commentary crew were giving the Panther WRs lots of props because they were raising their hands at the last second to go for the ball, on top of that they ran some nasty routes....usually it doesn't matter if it's a big time receiver..if you can do those type of things on one play perfectly...that is very hard for any CB to cover....to Shawntae's credit, he was still around to try to knock the ball down.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ He doesn't cover very well.
~ He doesn't tackle or hit at all.

He's vastly overrated on the WZ. An average CB at best. He's no star. People just don't hate on him because he doesn't have the large contract of Nate Clements. They don't like what Clements gets paid but tend to overlook the fact that Specner is often toast out there.

Disagree with you on tackling. He does bring the same level of explosiveness that Clements does but he is a very sound tackler who rarely misses a tackle.
Dude is one of the most underrated players in the league.
Originally posted by GoGetit:

This is a very good observation about passing off to Mays. That just didn't seem right at all

Hard to say without knowing the coverage scheme.

Play in question.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I think this one might actually be on Goldson. I think he bit on the play fake.

Could be... because Mays was covering the other side of the field I assume Goldson was the safety responsible for this side. Still why did Spencer leave him go? Oh, and why are we biting on play fakes when they couldn't run all day. Goldson needs to let the DL/LBs worry about that.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
It comes down to scheme. Our CB's line up 10 yards off WR's allowing quick passes/screens/slants to happen without much difficulty. When do you see Revis or Asomugha playing so far off the WR's? Rarely if ever. They play physical, bumping off routes making it hard for QB's and WR's to get into rhythm.
Also pass rush, we send so many people in to blitz it sickens me how long it takes to get close to the QB. We run a 3-4 D. That means 3 down lineman rush and one LB disguises himself and rushes. I can call the LB's that blitz every play, it's too obvious. With that the QB has time to pass with less players in coverage and he knows where the rush is coming from.
Secondary:
Mays- young mistakes are expected.
Glodson- In 7 games the "ballhawk" has not touched the ball, gets picked on in crunch time, and dose not now how to tackle.
Clements- Overaggressive but besides getting burnt he is a great CB, also great in the run game.
Spencer- I would say our best coverage CB.
James- Garbage, personally I would play T. Brown before him.

I'm afraid that Bradford will tear our secondary up.

-

I think the players around spencer are hurting him. Goldson isn't worth toilet paper for a check. He's in the right spot i'll give him that but he's been pulling a few to many mark roman moves either not being reliable or just flat out doing nothing but standing there and give a half ass effort to knock down the ball.

I think taylor has look better then lewis at least he's faster so sure he's getting burned in coverage but not by much when his light click's on i think we found us a special safety.

Yeah i thought brown was bad but he can't be worse then the chump playing slot now.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM ]
Originally posted by JaaDogg49:
Clements- Overaggressive but besides getting burnt he is a great CB, also great in the run game.

-[/quote

Great cornerbacks don't get burnt, that's wut most people don't understand. He might have been good at one point but he is average at best. Besides our safeties he is a defensive liability.

great corners do occasionaly get burnt, with the exception of maybe deon, just ask revis (and im not buying that hamstring bs), they just get burned way less than average ones, and unfortunatley all of our corners are average.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Clements should change his name from "Lockdown" to "The Gambler"
I like the guy,,but he is losing alot of those gambles

Spence can hit and tackle just fine, but with the injries he's had, he may be slowing down a bit

Unfortunately, T.Brown, R.Smith and D.Goldson have not stepped up
what looked like 3 good young DB's for us may be wasted picks

Niners will need to fix the DB situation this offseason
I still like our starting CB's .but we need some young talent to be ready to take over
[ Edited by cools on Nov 6, 2010 at 12:43 AM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Could be... because Mays was covering the other side of the field I assume Goldson was the safety responsible for this side. Still why did Spencer leave him go? Oh, and why are we biting on play fakes when they couldn't run all day. Goldson needs to let the DL/LBs worry about that.

Yeah, I just can't say for sure without knowing the coverage scheme.

All I know is that it shouldn't have happened and unless Goldson was set to run blitz, he bit hard on the fake. I can't tell what Spencer was doing because he's off camera until after Lloyd caught the ball.
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by JaaDogg49:

-[/quote

Great cornerbacks don't get burnt, that's wut most people don't understand. He might have been good at one point but he is average at best. Besides our safeties he is a defensive liability.

great corners do occasionaly get burnt, with the exception of maybe deon, just ask revis (and im not buying that hamstring bs), they just get burned way less than average ones, and unfortunatley all of our corners are average.

Randys tall, revis doesn't have the size to match up for a jump ball. Now if you notice the next week they played randy they just put there bigger taller cb on him and he basically shut moss off so they could double else were.

This is a very good observation about passing off to Mays. That just didn't seem right at all

Play in question.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I think this one might actually be on Goldson. I think he bit on the play fake.

It was the play call on defense, looked like spencer was in zone, and handed off the player to where teh safety was suppoesd to be.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Play in question.

It was the play call on defense, looked like spencer was in zone, and handed off the player to where teh safety was suppoesd to be.

What about that kid from ucla with taylor mays?

Play in question.

It appears as if it was maybe a cover 3 and Mays and Clements didn't get back. Spencer has to be in his zone so that's not his fault. Its really hard to tell but it appears he was trying to communicate with Mays about Lloyd hitting his zone. We got burned on a similar play by the Texans last season where Spencer followed the WR and left his zone wide open for a TD.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Play in question.

What about that kid from ucla with taylor mays?

-
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Randys tall, revis doesn't have the size to match up for a jump ball. Now if you notice the next week they played randy they just put there bigger taller cb on him and he basically shut moss off so they could double else were.

Not to be a broken record here, but....

Ted f**king Ginn

(I think that's his real middle name)