LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Just a few observations:

~Regardless of what fans think/say, Battle is well respected in the locker room and amongst the coaching staff
~That said, EVERY player reaches a point where he becomes expendable to his current team
~For Battle that time is likely now
~There are a handful of younger, faster, cheaper and healthier players on the roster now who need the reps
~The earlier he's cut the better chance he has of catching on with a new team and hopefully prolonging his career
~Though I clearly see Battle as expendable right now, that doesn't mean I think he's a bum or worthy of scorn
[ Edited by GoFD74 on May 3, 2009 at 9:35 PM ]
Man did you people even read the posts?

Your getting all defensive about all the hate for Battle, when in reality most people say they love Battle, but he is the odd man out.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Your getting all defensive about all the hate for Battle, when in reality most people say they manlove Battle, but he is the odd man out.

Fixed!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

Why? The thread is more than valid.

And it was also valid the last 5-10 times. No need to create a whole new thread for a subject that already has so many.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Can we just say NO to the cut(insert player) here mentality?

It's mind numbingly tired to say the least.

COMPETITION is what makes a team better.

The list of players mentioned in THIS thread, have YET to show they warrant that respect. Morgan and Hill played fairly well when they got on the field last year but that could be nothing more than a fluke. Remember Stokes? Guy showed that he COULD do the job when Rice went down and after that wasn't nearly as solid as he was in '97.

You're asking for Stokes 2.0 with this attitude of cutting players because we have solid bodies ON PAPER.

Let them earn their spots just like each and every year Battle has EARNED his. I cannot believe that this even has to be said to a Football fan let alone a 9er fan. But yet here we are and people make stupid threads supporting an idea that is counter productive to Football and to this team.

Sheesus William Mary and Joseph people can be so damn myopic.

~Ceadder

Wow...I don't see why everyone is so emotional over this guy......but I hear you on him competing for a roster spot, I respect that argument. Who do you think gets cut? How many rec. do you think we keep? I don't think it's counter productive to discuss our possible roster moves...I mean for pete's sake it's the offseason.....lol.....what else are we going to discuss....

Man I think if Bruce retired Battle had a better chance to make the team but taking into consideration of: Potential, Age, Monetary investment.....it's not far fetch to believe the niners may part ways with him....I mean we are about to invest a lot of Money into Crabtree and it's not to sit on the bench.

I'm not saying that Battle won't get cut. Personally I think that with some of the room that will be made in Camp and Preseason, We will carry at least 7 Receivers this season. Partly also since Ike will more than likely retire at the end of the season and to give us some insurance in case of injury to players like Ike.

So it would not surprise me in the least if we carry 7 this season. I know that this doesn't make sense to people but given that we have not been that solid Offensively over the last 6 or 7 years, Offense should be the LAST unit to see cuts imho. And that is only if the player cannot make Special Teams. Battle is not that guy cause he does have it as far as ST goes.

Also there is no guarantee that all our drafts from this year make the team. There is a solid shot for them to do so, but as has been said Zeigler should be the odd man out. Been with the team 3 years and has not made an impact on the coaching staff to warrant keeping him around. He may just be our next Eddie McCaffery, but he hasn't shown it up to this point.

It's cool to speculate but asking for a guy to get cut because it's not envisioned that he'll have a shot to make the team? That's flat out preposterous.

Personally Battle is OUR Wes Welker. He does anything and everything asked of him. Now if the OC would use him properly he might just get a little more love from the 9er Faithful.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Just a few observations:

~Regardless of what fans think/say, Battle is well respected in the locker room and amongst the coaching staff
~That said, EVERY player reaches a point where he becomes expendable to his current team
~There are a handful of younger, faster, cheaper and healthier players on the roster now who need the reps
~The earlier he's cut the better chance he has of catching on with a new team and hopefully prolonging his career
~Though I clearly see Battle as expendable right now, that doesn't mean I think he's a bum or worthy of scorn

take a bow GoFD, here's your applause:

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Just a few observations:

-9fA

Originally posted by endz0ne:
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Your getting all defensive about all the hate for Battle, when in reality most people say they manlove Battle, but he is the odd man out.

Fixed!

thanks
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Just a few observations:

-9fA

get a ruum
Just a few observations:

*Ahem*...

Competition. Let them EARN their spots like Battle earns his.

~Ceadder

The list of players mentioned in THIS thread, have YET to show they warrant that respect. Morgan and Hill played fairly well when they got on the field last year but that could be nothing more than a fluke. Remember Stokes? Guy showed that he COULD do the job when Rice went down and after that wasn't nearly as solid as he was in '97.

You're asking for Stokes 2.0 with this attitude of cutting players because we have solid bodies ON PAPER.

Let them earn their spots just like each and every year Battle has EARNED his. I cannot believe that this even has to be said to a Football fan let alone a 9er fan. But yet here we are and people make stupid threads supporting an idea that is counter productive to Football and to this team.

~Ceadder

Wow...I don't see why everyone is so emotional over this guy......but I hear you on him competing for a roster spot, I respect that argument. Who do you think gets cut? How many rec. do you think we keep? I don't think it's counter productive to discuss our possible roster moves...I mean for pete's sake it's the offseason.....lol.....what else are we going to discuss....

Man I think if Bruce retired Battle had a better chance to make the team but taking into consideration of: Potential, Age, Monetary investment.....it's not far fetch to believe the niners may part ways with him....I mean we are about to invest a lot of Money into Crabtree and it's not to sit on the bench.

I'm not saying that Battle won't get cut. Personally I think that with some of the room that will be made in Camp and Preseason, We will carry at least 7 Receivers this season. Partly also since Ike will more than likely retire at the end of the season and to give us some insurance in case of injury to players like Ike.

So it would not surprise me in the least if we carry 7 this season. I know that this doesn't make sense to people but given that we have not been that solid Offensively over the last 6 or 7 years, Offense should be the LAST unit to see cuts imho. And that is only if the player cannot make Special Teams. Battle is not that guy cause he does have it as far as ST goes.

Also there is no guarantee that all our drafts from this year make the team. There is a solid shot for them to do so, but as has been said Zeigler should be the odd man out. Been with the team 3 years and has not made an impact on the coaching staff to warrant keeping him around. He may just be our next Eddie McCaffery, but he hasn't shown it up to this point.

It's cool to speculate but asking for a guy to get cut because it's not envisioned that he'll have a shot to make the team? That's flat out preposterous.

Personally Battle is OUR Wes Welker. He does anything and everything asked of him. Now if the OC would use him properly he might just get a little more love from the 9er Faithful.

~Ceadder
Carrying 7 WR's, is not only silly, but is the type of thinking that got Nolan outta here...I cant keep saying this enough- you can only carry 5-6 WR's.. If you carry more-You get short in other areas and lose roster spots at other positions of need. And keeping 7 Wr's wont help our offense- fixing the OL will..

Originally posted by toppdogg32:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder
Carrying 7 WR's, is not only silly, but is the type of thinking that got Nolan outta here...I cant keep saying this enough- you can only carry 5-6 WR's.. If you carry more-You get short in other areas and lose roster spots at other positions of need. And keeping 7 Wr's wont help our offense- fixing the OL will..

wyr not gonna fix the line, we need to start the best 4 wrs, and sh. hill is going deep!!

don yu reed the boards?!?!?
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
Buce might not make the team you heard it first here.

Nope, I said it first about January(in fact I and a few others on the board said we should cut him or not re-sign him), But I like your conviction as it's shared with mine. In an ideal situation- Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, Jones, and Zeigler/Spurlock winner...
Just a few observations:

*Ahem*...

Competition. Let them EARN their spots like Battle earns his.

~Ceadder

That's not always the way things go in the NFL.

Sometimes it's unfair, and a well-paid vet is projected (either through competition, politics or just plain economics) to be down at the bottom of the depth chart regardless of what happens.

In situations like this, it's best to let him go early in the process while teams are still putting their training camp rosters together as opposed to later in the process when teams have nearly shored up their ACTUAL roster.

So there's a little projection going on here given the reality that guys like Bruce, Crabtree, Morgan, Jones and even Hill will likely get most of the reps going forward.

You're right, it sucks, and it's not fair, but that's life sometimes.
[ Edited by GoFD74 on May 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
WOW I can not believe the genuine hate for Battle, what has he ever done to deserve it, sure he has never been a pro-bowler but not everyone is!

Battle has played on one of the crappiest teams in the NFL and never spoke out never complained, always a true professional.

Battle has had to learn multiple offenses, something that has earned A Smith a pass on his out right failure.

Battle has caught passes from some of the most pathetic excuses for QBs to ever wear a 49er uniform, and never complained never laid blame never made excuses.

Battle is a quality "role player" but not a super star, ever wonder how much better he would look as the 3rd or 4th receiver on the Patriots?

Battle would be a hero for he selfless blocking in if he only played in Pittsburgh!

When and if Battle is cut it will simply be about the numbers not about his performance.

Battle will play in this league somewhere, I only hope he plays in front of knowledgeable football fans who appreciate him.

Battle may never be in the hall of fame but he is far from a loser.

Go pick on some one who really sucks but if you knew football you would not find all that much negative to say about Battle.

Give him a nice guy award and an honorable mention ribbon right before you tell him to clean out his locker.

We are getting better. We have young recievers that need to play.

Just curious, (I truly have no idea)what is his salary?

JQ
Share 49ersWebzone