LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rossum is still to valuable as a return man to be cut.

Alex Boone is not good enough to make the final roster right now, maybe next year (I do think he is almost a lock to make our PS)

If Jason Hill has a strong game tonight I think he may stick, also depends on what happens with Crabtree. If he doesen't sign anytime soon, it means an extra spot for one of these receivers in which case I think Hill and Spurlock both stick. I like Spurlock, gives us a little jolt in the passing game with his speed, plus he can return kicks if something happens to Rossum and Rossum is not a guy who has shown he can stay healthy for 16 games.
I forgot to include Brandon Jones as one of the 6 WR's making the team- Fixed

[ Edited by PatrickJira411 on Sep 4, 2009 at 13:43:15 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
I'd like to see Boone there. He is young and will get better as he gains experience and reps. He cant be any worse than Kwame Harris at this point in his career and that's a good thing. We have something in Boone and the coaches just need to coach him up!

Yes, and Sims is a smaller, lighter OT who really doesn't fit the new "identity" of the team. However, he is experienced.

If it was me, and I was building a new team, for the future, I'd keep Boone in a heartbeat. He's got great size and good athletic ability that, with proper coaching, could make him a fixture at RT for years to come, and he personifies the new "identity" of a big, tough, running team.

I would not risk losing him by exposing him to waivers in order to put him on the PS.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
With Sheets and Spurlock making the team, Rossum looks like he could be expendable.

I know I know I know, but we have some great young talent coming up and Rossum is a one trick pony, he has not looked good as a back-up DB.....

My crazy thoughts aside, Rossum stays, but...... I don't know how smart that is.

You are overthinking it. Rossum is the return guy. He makes the team. End of convo.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I'd like to see Boone there. He is young and will get better as he gains experience and reps. He cant be any worse than Kwame Harris at this point in his career and that's a good thing. We have something in Boone and the coaches just need to coach him up!

Yes, and Sims is a smaller, lighter OT who really doesn't fit the new "identity" of the team. However, he is experienced.

If it was me, and I was building a new team, for the future, I'd keep Boone in a heartbeat. He's got great size and good athletic ability that, with proper coaching, could make him a fixture at RT for years to come, and he personifies the new "identity" of a big, tough, running team.

I would not risk losing him by exposing him to waivers in order to put him on the PS.

Yeah im hoping we get lucky and find a solid OT on waivers. Im hoping Jacksonville lets Tony Pashos go, he is a very solid vetran OT who's strength is run blocking. If anything happend to Snyder he could replace him without much a dropoff and if something happend to Staley we could move Snyder to LT and insert Pashos at RT. Chris Forester did go Pashos for two years I believe in Baltimore where he was his O-Line coach....
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Yeah im hoping we get lucky and find a solid OT on waivers. Im hoping Jacksonville lets Tony Pashos go, he is a very solid vetran OT who's strength is run blocking. If anything happend to Snyder he could replace him without much a dropoff and if something happend to Staley we could move Snyder to LT and insert Pashos at RT. Chris Forester did go Pashos for two years I believe in Baltimore where he was his O-Line coach....

I understand your concerns, but I still think Singletary is more inclined to go with guys who have been through his TC. I think he'd keep Sims over Pashos if he's just looking for an "experienced" OT.

If if was me, my OL would look like this: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Wragge, Boone, Bender, Spanos. Nine guys, with a great mixture of experience, talent, and youth.

If you're only keeping 8, then Spanos to the PS.

Bender backs up Staley, Boone backs up Snyder. Time to start turning the roster over and developing the younger guys.

Wallace, who can play either G spot, or C, is gone, replaced by Spanos, who's bigger and stronger and can play either OT spot, either G spot, or C.

Sims is gone because, well, he's Sims. ("ABS.")

Howard to the PS if there's room. Toledo is cut, or goes to PS if there's room.

I understand your concerns, but I still think Singletary is more inclined to go with guys who have been through his TC. I think he'd keep Sims over Pashos if he's just looking for an "experienced" OT.

If if was me, my OL would look like this: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Snyder, Wragge, Boone, Bender, Spanos. Nine guys, with a great mixture of experience, talent, and youth.

Bender backs up Staley, Boone backs up Snyder. Time to start turning the roster over and developing the younger guys.

Wallace, who can play either G spot, or C, is gone, replaced by Spanos, who's bigger and stronger and can play either OT spot, either G spot, or C.

I think Sims makes the final roster wehether we pickup another vetran O-lineman or not but Im pretty sure if there is a solid vetran O-Lineman sitting out there after the final cuts, we will be trying to scoop him up.
I want to see jason hill make the team. i like eric green better than marcus hudson too. i actually like hudson better as a safety. and id put khalif mitchell on the practice squad. other than that i like your roster a lot.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I want to see jason hill make the team. i like eric green better than marcus hudson too. i actually like hudson better as a safety. and id put khalif mitchell on the practice squad. other than that i like your roster a lot.

I think Green is a better pure corner than Hudson but Hudson is a pretty solid corner and he can play safety (where I agree with you he is better at) and he is a very good ST's player. I wouldn't be suprised if both Hudson and Green make the final roster.

I forgot about Mitchell, yeah I think he makes the PS for sure.

That is how I would like to see the oline. I have no confidence in Wallace or Sims. I think Boone gets picked up on waivers if attempted to be placed on PS. I would also like to see Howard on PS.

QB: Hill, Smith, Davis
RB: Gore, Coffee, Sheets, Robinson, Norris
WR: Bruce, Battle, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Spurlock*
TE: Davis, Walker, Pascoe
OL: Staley, Baas, Heitman, Rachal, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Boone
DL: Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga, Balmer, McDonald, Evans, Francois
LB: Haralson, Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Brooks, McKillop, Ulbrich, Harris
DB: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Green, Goldson, Lewis, Smith, Roman
ST: Jennings, Nendney, Lee, Rossum

When Crabtree signs, I think that Spurlock is out.

[ Edited by btthepunk on Sep 4, 2009 at 15:23:18 ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
DB: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Green, Goldson, Lewis, Smith

I like it, but that's only 52, by my count. I think you've got to add a SS/FS--likely Roman, although I'd keep Hudson over Roman. Hudson has great ST worth, and can play either safety or CB. Much more versatile than Roman.

When and if Crabby ever signs, he'd replace Hill or Spurlock at WR.

I'd keep Bender, or even Sims, over Wallace. Nothing personal against him, but what's Wallace's role?

He was drafted as a possible replacement for Heitmann, then Heitmann signed a new, long term deal, and Wallace is left without a role.

Both Baas and Wragge can fill in for Heitmann if need be. So Wallace's role is just the same as Wragge's, and if he can't beat Wragge out of his spot, then adios.

Im sorry but Mark Roman is making the team. If Boone has a good game tonight he has a chance to make the team but I'd be really suprised if he makes the final roster and I think we will be able to get him on our PS (If another team was that interested in him they would have drafted him and it's not like he has played that great in the pre-season)>
I edited mine. I had Roman on there but my computer messed up and I forgot to re-add him when I re-typed it.
Wallace makes it, just because.

Im sorry but Mark Roman is making the team. If Boone has a good game tonight he has a chance to make the team but I'd be really suprised if he makes the final roster and I think we will be able to get him on our PS (If another team was that interested in him they would have drafted him and it's not like he has played that great in the pre-season)>

Actually, aside from an occasion or two, Boone has played really well in preseason so far, I think. He was nearly spectacular against Oakland, IMHO. I focused on him alot during preseason, and I really liked what I saw. Guy is massive, but moves well, and is a bulldozer on run plays.

He fell out of the draft because of his then very recent legal problems. Those are behind him now, and teams have some tape on him in NFL preseason action. One of them will like what they see, I believe.
Share 49ersWebzone