There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by mayo63:
No way Clayton makes it over Robinson. Robinson is too valuable on ST.

I think Cody Wallace spends another year on the Practice Squad. This will make room for Robinson. Backs: Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, Sheets. Clayton makes only PS. I believe Nate Davis will experience a mysterious injury during the last week of TC that can be cured only by a year on IR.

Cody Wallace wasn't on the practice squad last year.
QB: Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, Damon Huard

how is this the projected Niner depth Chart.... when was Alex ever ahead of Shaun...and when was this ever "updated"?

you fellers crack me up.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:55:17 ]
Mrob WILL make the team.... RB`s will be Gore/Coffee/Robinson.
OUT WITH THE OLD . . . .

Thomas Clayton hasn't made it off the practice squad in 3(?) years -- give Sheets a shot.

Barry Sims -- not a has-been, a never-was! Even if Smith and Snyder get injured, get someone other than Sims.

Arnaz Battle -- I like him but he has injury problems and is on the downside. Give Ziegler his shot.

Ulbrich -- now just a special teamer, let's get some new blood instead.

Roman -- just a liability, pick up someone better from another team's cuts or trade or somehow. He's been terrible the past few years and is not going to get any better.

Damon Huard -- if you think its risky to put Davis on the practice squad, which I do, then keep Davis and drop Huard. Out with the old, build for the future!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by dgoldson38:
qb (4)- shaun hill, alex smith, damon huard, nate davis
hb (4)- frank gore, glen coffee, michael robinson, thomas clayton
fb (1)- norris
wr (6)- captain morgan, crabtree, bruce, jones, hill, battle
OL (9)- staley, baas, heitmann, rachal, smith, snyder, wragge, wallace, boone
te (4)- davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on IR...if not then RJF to the p-squad)
LB (7)- fittytwo, spikes, haralson, lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop
cb (5)- clements, bly, brown, spencer, hudson
S (4)- goldson, lewis, smith, taylor
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, baker, price/spurlock, jay moore

but unfortunately mark roman is gonna get a roster spot which is gonna take the place of a talented player i.e. putting nate davis on the practice squad and risking losing him..

Why are people so upset that Mark Roman is going to be a back-up? We NEED him as a back-up.

Add Roman, drop Thomas Clayton.

Add Ziegler, drop Battle.

Why do we need Roman as a back up?? I think we have two capable Safeties in Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith that can get the job done if Goldson goes down. Sure hes decent back up, but his play has been average, time to give our draft picks a shot.

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off?
If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

Well tell me how are they not capable then?? Draft position means squat once they get on the field. You think they just started playing football now, or that just because they're rookies they aren't capable?? So just because a player is drafted in the 6th or 7th round they shouldn't contribute or aren't capable of doing so?? You ever heard of Zack Bronson or Ronnie Heard?? Both who gambled and made much more plays than what Roman has....ask me if they were drafted??

I'm not saying he isn't capable, but it's not possible to say that about a player. When you invest an early round pick into a player, that prediction can be made because the probability of being successful is higher. Of course you don't have to be a first round pick to be successful, but with any rookie, especially one that did not perform well enough in college to warrant much consideration in the draft, I think the player needs to prove something before he is dubbed a "capable" player. Crabtree is also unproven, but we have reasons to assume he'll be successful based on his college productions (perfect correlation with NFL success? not by a long shot, I realize). As far as Taylor goes, I think he's lucky to make the team, and if I'm wrong, that's something noone can predict now.

How is it not possible to say a rookie 6th or 7th round pick isn't capable of filling in a back up role?? I just gave you two examples of undrafted rookies that did. Do you want a up to date 7th round pick that filled in nicely as a starter, Chris Horton, he played better than a #6 overall pick in Michael Huff ever did. Like I said draft status doesn't mean squat when your on the field, its all about how you perform and taking advantage of the opportunity given to you.

We're both arguing about 6th and 7th round picks making the team and/or filling in as a back up, and yet in your post above, you pick Lewis Baker and Alex Boone to make it. Aren't you contradicting yourself, and Taylor was at least drafted.

I agree that a 7th rounder can do just fine. I agree that a 7th rounder can do fine as a rookie. In fact, nothing is stopping an undrafted rookie from a pro bowler, sure, but THIS PARTICULAR ROOKIE has not validated that claim at all. How can you assume that he's better than Roman. I know Roman isn't great, but he understands the defense, is able to call plays (to this point better than everyone else on the defense), and has experience. I'm not saying we don't need an upgrade at the position because we have the great Mark Roman, but I do think he gets the nod over someone completely unproven, who has given me no reason to believe that he's capable of being a productive player.

OK now your putting words into my mouth. Where did I say Taylor was better than Roman?? What I did say was Roman's play is average and that our young DB's are more than capable of filling in for him and that its about time we give our young guys a shot.

You went from telling me that a 6th and 7th round pick is nowhere capable of filling in as a back up to agreeing with me.

I'll concede that I jumped a bit on what you said, and you didn't say he's better than Roman. I just can't believe he's a better option at this point based on the fact that he's given no reason to think he could be any good. Smith had a great college career, Boone shows a ton of potential as a run blocker, RJF has had performances on the big stage that make you think he's got something to offer. Taylor? He's done nothing, that's all I was trying to show.

However you are now putting words in my mouth. I never said that Taylor "is nowhere capable of filling in as a backup." I made the point that he's done nothing to show that he's a capable backup, and that it was an assumption that was not even based on his offseason performance considering training camp hasn't started, not based on his game-time play considering he's a rookie, and not based on his college performance considering he was drafted so late. Does that mean I said he's not capable? NO. I was asking where that information came from, since I don't see what could have led to that conclusion.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I'll concede that I jumped a bit on what you said, and you didn't say he's better than Roman. I just can't believe he's a better option at this point based on the fact that he's given no reason to think he could be any good. Smith had a great college career, Boone shows a ton of potential as a run blocker, RJF has had performances on the big stage that make you think he's got something to offer. Taylor? He's done nothing, that's all I was trying to show.

However you are now putting words in my mouth. I never said that Taylor "is nowhere capable of filling in as a backup." I made the point that he's done nothing to show that he's a capable backup, and that it was an assumption that was not even based on his offseason performance considering training camp hasn't started, not based on his game-time play considering he's a rookie, and not based on his college performance considering he was drafted so late. Does that mean I said he's not capable? NO. I was asking where that information came from, since I don't see what could have led to that conclusion.

From your first quote:

Quote:

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off? If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

Sure you didn't say those exact words, but which part in this quote says that you think he is capable?? You can sit there and tell me about a players potential in Alex Boone, but Curtis Taylor has to show something first?? Need I remind you that Boone hasn't even been with the team practically the whole time since the draft ended?? And now all of a sudden you list him as making the 53 man roster??

Quote:
--Safety Curtis Taylor (seventh round): He has some skills, and he's making a pretty good transition. "From the calls and the repetitions that he gets, he's doing quite a fine job," Manusky said. It's been good for Taylor's development that Lewis has not practiced much and Mark Roman missed the final two days of minicamp with an illness.

And honestly, this isn't saying much, since the team is practicing in shorts, but its a heck of a lot more than saying he hasn't done anything. Obviously he impressed someone.

From your first quote:

Quote:

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off? If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

Sure you didn't say those exact words, but which part in this quote says that you think he is capable?? You can sit there and tell me about a players potential in Alex Boone, but Curtis Taylor has to show something first?? Need I remind you that Boone hasn't even been with the team practically the whole time since the draft ended?? And now all of a sudden you list him as making the 53 man roster??

Quote:
--Safety Curtis Taylor (seventh round): He has some skills, and he's making a pretty good transition. "From the calls and the repetitions that he gets, he's doing quite a fine job," Manusky said. It's been good for Taylor's development that Lewis has not practiced much and Mark Roman missed the final two days of minicamp with an illness.

And honestly, this isn't saying much, since the team is practicing in shorts, but its a heck of a lot more than saying he hasn't done anything. Obviously he impressed someone.

Let me clarify what I was trying to say all along. I never said he's not capable and won't be. I never said he's capable, and never claimed to have said that either. Can he be a capable player? Sure. Can he be a bust and not make a single team ever? Sure. Can he be the greatest safety of all time and make Lott look like Roman? Sure. But I have not seen any reason to see that he'll be a future HOF, just like I have not seen any reason to believe that he can be a capable player. I also have no problem with him being on your final 53 man roster. I almost put him on mine, and only put Baker ahead of him because Baker has been playing FS in camp, and I believe that position is thinner because of Goldson's injury history, and lack of game-time experience. But outside of one quote from a coordinator (who almost always says positive things about players) there is no reason to assume that he's a capable player. This is a similar debate that is going on about Battle vs. Ziegler. Battle is a solid, but definitely unspectacular player who has at best leveled out at his peak, and at worst is way past his prime. Ziegler is a young guy who has proven in his limited action that he's capable. I believe Ziegler's performance in practices all through last year, and his limited performance in games makes him a border-line capable player. I am very hesitant to assign that same title to a rookie who has not: had a good college career, turned many heads in OTAs, or played a single game in the NFL. This is all I'm saying. Roman is capable. He's not good at all, but he's at least capable. I don't think Taylor has earned that title yet. The same argument can be made for Crabtree of course, but in my opinion, his performance in college has to have at least earned him that much.

[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Jun 18, 2009 at 19:21:43 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

From your first quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let me clarify what I was trying to say all along. I never said he's not capable and won't be. I never said he's capable, and never claimed to have said that either. Can he be a capable player? Sure. Can he be a bust and not make a single team ever? Sure. Can he be the greatest safety of all time and make Lott look like Roman? Sure. But I have not seen any reason to see that he'll be a future HOF, just like I have not seen any reason to believe that he can be a capable player. I also have no problem with him being on your final 53 man roster. I almost put him on mine, and only put Baker ahead of him because Baker has been playing FS in camp, and I believe that position is thinner because of Goldson's injury history, and lack of game-time experience. But outside of one quote from a coordinator (who almost always says positive things about players) there is no reason to assume that he's a capable player. This is a similar debate that is going on about Battle vs. Ziegler. Battle is a solid, but definitely unspectacular player who has at best leveled out at his peak, and at worst is way past his prime. Ziegler is a young guy who has proven in his limited action that he's capable. I believe Ziegler's performance in practices all through last year, and his limited performance in games makes him a border-line capable player. I am very hesitant to assign that same title to a rookie who has not: had a good college career, turned many heads in OTAs, or played a single game in the NFL. This is all I'm saying. Roman is capable. He's not good at all, but he's at least capable. I don't think Taylor has earned that title yet. The same argument can be made for Crabtree of course, but in my opinion, his performance in college has to have at least earned him that much.

So pretty much the same can be said about any late round pick or undrafted rookie free agent right?? Since basically either has played on a down in the NFL yet. And if you agree, than why single out Curtis Taylor, and please elaborate on how he didn't have as good of a college career to make you think hes capable or not of filling in as a back up in the NFL?? Obviously, McCloughan and his staff saw something in him enough to be drafted. Every player drafted has been seen as a player that could contribute to a team or why else would that player be drafted??

As for the quote by Manusky, sure haven't heard anything about Baker to make me think he deserves a shot on the 53 man roster. We as everyday fans aren't at practice every day to give us a reason to believe so, we can only go by what blog writers report, but I also base my opinion off of the fact that I have watched Curtis Taylor a few times in college. What do you base your opinion off of??
  • fan49
  • Veteran
maybe im late by why is brandon long in our dc?
Quarterbacks (3):

Shuan Hill: Im almost positive he will enter the season as a starter and I think he will countinue right where he left of last season and play solid football. He is a smart, tough, accurate QB with a strong enough arm IMO and good mobility and he has the "intagibles" you look for in a QB. My only question is can he hold for 16 games?

Alex Smith: It was great to hear that Alex looked so good in Mini camp and OTA's, I still think he can be a very good NFL quarterback and I think he will get his chance to prove that at some point this season.

Damon Huard: A very good, underrated pickup. May be the best 3rd QB in all of football and he is not only a guy who can start a game or two and not hurt you but I remember reading how much Belichick and Tom Brady appreciated his work in practice and on the sidelines when he was in New England. I think Huard is like an extra QB's coach and will help Shuan and Alex out a lot just being on the sidelines and talking to them and pointing things out.

Note: I think the team will put Nate Davis on IR, Im not totally sure if it is legal but I believe a team can put a guy on IR even if he is not hurt, they can just come up with some kind of injury. I don't think the team will take a chance of trying to get him onto the PS. Also, I think Nate Davis has a chance to be a good NFL QB in this league, he is probably 2-3 years away but I think he has a chance to be at least a very good backup.

Running Backs (3)

Frank Gore: Even though he may be slowing down I think Gore will have a great season because I don't think teams will be able to just sowly focus on stopping him and putting 8-9 guys in the box with the emergence of our WR's. I also think Gore will benifit from having a guy like Glenn Coffee who can spell him and I think/hope Tom Rathman can cure Gore's fumbling problem(s).

Glenn Cofee: Im really excited about this kid, I think he will give us a boost backing up and spelling Gore. I look for Coffee to get 5-8 carries a game and provide some fresh energy and a burst. Cofee plays bigger than his size (6'0" 209pds) and has the frame to put on another 10-15pds. He runs so hard and has good vision and that is half the battle for a RB to be successful.

Michael Robinson: One of my favorite players on the team. MRob is a great special teams player, covering kicks and blocking on returns. He can play RB, FB and even line up in the slot. He runs hard and has a nice burst and if he can ever improve his vision, he can be a pretty solid RB. Just a great team guy.

Note: I think it's 50-50 on Kory Sheets making the team, at worst I think he will be on our PS.

Fullbacks (1)

Moran Norris: Back where he belongs, blocking for his boy Frank Gore and he is a great fit in Jimmy Raye's system.

Wide Receivers (5)

Josh Morgan: I think Morgan is going to have a breakout year in 2009, I can him catching 70+ passes for over 1,000yds and 6-8 TD's. He has good size, speed and is fearless. He also has a swagger to him and man he reminds me so much of Reggie Wayne.

Michael Crabtree: With Crabtree missing OTA and mini camp practices recovering from foot surgery, he is a bit behind the other WR's and this is not the year to fall behind receivers on the 49ers as the team finally has some good one's. Still I look for Crabtree to have an impact as a rookie, maybe not early on but I do see him making plays and his presence alone will help. I look for him to start the season as our 3rd WR and be the #2 by seasons end and I see him ending up with around 40 catches and 3-5 TD's. Down the road I believe Crabtree will be a star WR in the Cris Carter mold and with Josh Morgan will give us a great WR duo for several year to comes.

Issac Bruce: Bruuuuuuuuce had a very solid season last year and I think he will help a lot this year but I don't think he will have as many passes thrown his way and his PT may be reduced.

Brandon Jones: The FA Pickup from Tenn it looked like Jones was going to be our #2 or 3 WR when we signed him but then Issac Bruce decided to come back we drafted Michael Crabtree. Jones at the very least adds great depth and I think he will see be on the field a lot. He has very good size and quickness and will help as a slot receiver and he is also one of the best blocking WR's in the NFL.

Jason Hill: Hill was finally able to get healthy, stay healthy and get on the field late last season and he played very solid, he looked like a young Issac Bruce out there. The problem is he once again was hamperd by a bad hamstring in the off-season and with the WR core being much stronger this year he may have a hard time getting onto the field.

Note: Dominque Ziegler in any other year would make the team but barring injury to another WR, I don't think he will make the team which is a shame because I think he is a pretty solid young WR. Arnaz Battle is as good as gone and even though this Spurlock kid has some ability and has been making plays, he is going to have a real hard time making the team unless he just makes plays in the pre-season as a WR and kick returner and another WR and/or Rossum get hurt.

Tight End (4)

Vernon Davis: I think this is going to be the year (I know I know) Davis becomes one of the best tight ends in the league. He is perfect in Jimmy Raye's offense and with a solid WR core around him, I don't think teams will be able to double him or even focus on him. As a blocker he is one of the best in the NFL.

Delaine Walker: Like this kid! A tough player who has shown he can make plays when giving the chance.

Bear Pascoe: I think he will be as good a blocker if not better than Bajema while also being a better receiver than Bajema but then again Im a better receiver than Bajema. I think Bear Pascoe will be a very solid NFL tight end in the Greg Clark mold.

Brian Jennings: Is strictly a long snapper and does that job very well.

Offensive Lineman (9):

Joe Staley: Got much better as the season went on last season in his first full season in LT blocking in Mike Martz's offense which puts a lot of pressure on OT's. I think Staley is going to be a very good LT in this league for a long time, and may make a trip or two to Hawaii before his career is over. Reminds me a lot of Todd Steuisse.

David Baas: This is a big season for Baas, it is his 5th season, a contract year and finally opens the season as the undisputed starter. I have always liked Baas, he has been solid at LG and RG when given the chance. Hopefully he can stay healthy all 16 games and establish himself as a very good LG in this league.

Eric Heitman: One of the most talked or argued about players on this board. Some people say Heitman is a very good player, some say we need to replace him as a starter. I don't know, he does have trouble getting a strong push on obvious running downs and if he doesen't get help he can get abused by bigger DT's. However, he does do a good job of making line calls, helping out and has been pretty durable. Can we do better at center, yes but we can also do worse. For now I think we can live with Heitman as our starting center as long as Baas and Rachal develop into good to very good players.

Chilo Rachal: Another guy I am really excited about on this team. In one of Singletary's first moves, he made Rachal the starter at RG when he took over and man Rachal played pretty solid, he didn't committ many (I can't remember one) penalty's and generally held his own. Rachal has a huge upside and I think there is a good chance he will be a pro bowl player down the road. He is big and will get bigger, has a long frame, moves well for his size and has a nasty streak to him.

Marvel Smith: One of the key players on the 49ers roster this year. If Smith can stay healthy and play up his old form as our starting RT, our o-line and offense will be in very good shape. The question is can his back hold up....

Adam Snyder: A terrific backup who can start at either tackle or guard spots for a few games.

Tony Wragge: A solid backup guard and center.

Cody Wallace: A 4th rd pick last year, Wallace would have been cut had he not been a 4th rd pick. He must show something this year to make the team.

Jacob Bender/Alex Boone/Barry Sims: One of these guys will make the team, I hope it's Boone who I think can be a solid RT in this league. I hope it's not Sims and keep an eye on this Jacob Bender guy.

Defense:

Defensive line (6)

Justin Smith: Solid as a rock, had what 70 tackles, 7 sacks last season and at 29yrs old I think we will get another 3 or 4 seasons like that out of Smith who played much better when Manusky took over calling plays on defense (as did the rest of the defense)

Issac Sopoaga: After a very good season at NT in 2007, Soaps was moved to LDE in the 3-4 and he wasn't a good fit there as expected. I know he has been taking snaps at NT and DE but I hope they just leave him at the NT posistion where he is pretty dam solid.

Demetric Evans: A solid vetran who played really solid for the Redskins last season. The question is how well will he adjust to being a LDE in a 3-4... He has great character and work ethic and I think he will end up being a very solid player with us.

Aubrayo Franklin: Was a liability in Nolan's scheme but in Manusky's one gap scheme he played pretty well. Still I don't want him as our starting NT.

Kentwan Balmer: Basically redshirted as a rookie as he was not ready for the NFL but he worked out with Justin Smith this off-season and supposedly looked pretty good in the OTA's and mini camps. I still think he is a year away from being a starter but I do think he will be a solid rotational guy this year. He has great size and strength and he works hard now he just has to get his technique down.

Ricky Jean-Francois: A 2nd rd talent we got Jean-Francois in the 7th rd because of some off the field issues at LSU. I think this is just the place for Jean-Francois to mature and I think he is going to end up being a steal. At 6'3" 295pds, he has good size along with long arm and is quick of the snap and I think he will be a good fit as a DE in the 3-4. Reminds me of Roy Barker in a lot of ways.

Note: I look for Ray McDonald to open the season on the PUP list.

Linebackers (8)

Patrick Willis: What can I say about him that hasn't been said...The best inside linebacker and really the best linebacker and maybe the best overall defensive player in the NFL. PWilly is as good as it gets and I think he will be even better as Manusky will have him attacking more and I can him finishing with 140+ tackles, 4-5 sacks and 2 INT's.

Takeo Spikes: I have to admit, watching Spikes play in the pre-season after he signed with us midway through TC, I thought he was washed up but he came through with a very solid season despite learning the defense on the fly and for the first time in his career being the "thumper" and not the guy who was asked to fly around and make plays. He is a great compliment to Willis and a great defensive vetran and presence on this team. I look for him to assert himself more as a vocal leader on this team this season and putting up another solid season.

Manny Lawson: If this team is to take the next step and become a serious playoff contender I think Manny Lawson is one of the key guys who must step up. He looked like he was on the verge of being a big time player in 2007 as he played very well in the first two regular season games but then tore his ACL and missed the rest of the season. Last year he was hardly given a chance by Nolan and finally was able to see some playing time after Nolan was fired and played pretty well. He showed his impressive speed on big sack against Flozell Adams and the Cowboys and finished the season pretty strong. But as one of the starting OLB's in the 3-4, we need him to be very good, very productive and consistant. IMO, we need 6-8 sacks out of him this year. Hopefully he has gotten stronger and has developed a pass rush move or two, this is where I think the addition of Al Harris as pass rush coach could prove to be big.

Parys Haralson: Always liked this guy, coming out of Tenn I thought he was a steal in the 5th rd. He was the defensive leader at Tenn as a Jr and Sr and I remember him playing against Alabama with a 103 degree fever and got 3 sacks and was hospitilized after the game. He came on last year with 8 sacks and I look for him to post similar numbers this season. He isn't very big (6'0" 252pds) or all that fast but he does have a great burst and plays with great energy and leverage. He isn't a guy who will command double teams or be a pro bowl player but I think he can be a very solid starter in this league but he will need help opposite him...

Scott McKillop: A great find in the 5th rd, McKillop is just a football player. He has a nose for the football and at worst he will be a good backup at both ILB spots and a good ST's player. I do think he has a chance to be a solid starter in this league, reminds me of Zach Thomas.

Jeff Ulbrich: Has made himself into one fo the better ST's players in this league. A Singletary favorite, I do think he will be pushed by this Justin Roland kid but I think Ulbrich will make the team.

Marques Harris: A decent vetran OLB who has played in the 3-4 with the Chargers for four seasons (2 of which Manusky was his LB's coach) and I look for him to be a Roderick Green player for us but a little better.

Ahmad Brooks: I believe Brooks will beat out Jay Moore for the 2nd backup OLB spot and I hope Brooks can give us a pass rush of the bench. He has the talent and ability but does he have the desire and passion? We shall see, I hope he pans out because we don't have much behind Lawson and Haralson.

Secondary (10)

Nate Clements: Okay, lets forget about his salary and really he is not going to make 80 million dollars with the 49ers. The fact is Clements is a good NFL cornerback, he didn't have a great season last year (was much better in 07) but the guy is a hard working player who is not affraid to take on the opponents best receiver and generally does a good job. The T.O fiasco was more to do with Mark Roman and Keith Lewis than Clements. I look for Clements to have a strong 2009 season and Im happy we have him on the team.

Dre Bly: I may be to optimistic or just dumb but I think that Walt Harris going down with that ACL injury in the spring will end up being a positive for us. Dre Bly on a 1yr deal has a lot to prove and is playing with a chip on his shoulder after being cut by Denver and I think he still has some good football left in him and he adds a swagger and a much needed playmaker to our secondary.

Tarrell Brown: I have always liked this kid dating back to his days at Texas and he had no business falling into the 5th rd. He played very well in his first two career starts last year and also played real well as a nickel back. He will give us Dre a real run for his money to be the #2 corner and at worst he will be a very good #3 corner this year and a starter next year.

Shawntae Spencer: A solid player when healthy Spencer is coming of a torn ACL and he was a guy who always had shaky confidence so I worry if he will be able to come back and be a solid player again.

Marcus Hudson: One of my fav guys on the team, the defensive version of Michael Robinson. Hudson is a terrific special teams player who may take over the Keith Lewis role this year and he is a versatile guy who can play cornerback, FS and SS. I think he is a better safety than corner and could be a solid safety in this league given the chance.

Michael Lewis: Has been what he was advertised to be coming over from Philly, a very good run stopper and tackler but a liability in pass coverage. He was beat up last season and missed all of the OTA's and Mini camps and I wonder if he is washed up...

Dashon Goldson: Another guy who is key to this teams success. I don't have any concern about Goldson as a player, the concern is can he stay healthy. If he can, I look for him to be a major upgrade over Mark Roman as our starting FS and end up with 5-7 INT's. He is a big guy (6'2" 210pds) with long arms and has a nose for the football.

Mark Roman: Had no business being a starter at FS last season but he can be a solid backup at both safety spots as long as he is not starting more than a game or two.

Reggie Smith: I don't know what to make of this kid, I liked him coming out of Oklahoma and I think he has the talent to be a player in the NFL but he really missed out some valuable reps at SS in the OTA's. Im starting to wonder if he will be one of those guys who just can't stay healthy or get it together and will never be able to get on the field.

Curtis Taylor: Will have to battle Lewis Baker and that is if we even carry 10 DB's but I like this kids chances. He has impressive size and speed and I think he will make his mark on special teams early on and he has a chance to be a solid safety in the NFL.

Allen Rossum: Makes the team because of his return ability. He is a good one but can he stay healthy....

Kickers:

Joe Nedney: A very reliable inside 40 yards but I get worried when he has to make a kick under pressure in a tight game.

Andy Lee: One of the best in the NFL.

Okay so that leaves one more roster spot... I would probably bet on Dominique Ziegler getting the nod but maybe the team will just carry four Qb's and Nate Davis makes the regular season roster. Or Kory Sheets makes the team or Ray McDonald gets healthy and makes the opening day roster. Thoughts????
Nice job. You put alot of work into this, and overall I think its pretty solid.

Some changes I'd consider:

Cody Wallace gets cut and moves on to some other team or occupation. He appears to be the epitome of a "Nolan" guy--selected because of his personality as much as his talent. Heitmann's long term contract, and the ability of Wragge and Baas to take over if needed at center, appear make him completely expendable. IMHO.

Keep Bender and Boone on the active roster. Sims is toast.

Consider keeping Jay Moore simply because of the lack of depth at OLB.

Nate Davis goes to the PS, not IR. Little need to worry, the same issues that scared most teams away from him at the draft--his learning disability and game performances late in his last season--will keep other teams from trying to sign him off the PS onto their 53 man roster, where he'd have to be the #3 QB.

All of this is, of course, subject to change based on performances in TC and preseason, and potential signings of other teams' last minute rejects, especially any OLBs that might become available.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Nice job. You put alot of work into this, and overall I think its pretty solid.

Some changes I'd consider:

Cody Wallace gets cut and moves on to some other team or occupation. He appears to be the epitome of a "Nolan" guy--selected because of his personality as much as his talent. Heitmann's long term contract, and the ability of Wragge and Baas to take over if needed at center, appear make him completely expendable. IMHO.

Keep Bender and Boone on the active roster. Sims is toast.

Consider keeping Jay Moore simply because of the lack of depth at OLB.

Nate Davis goes to the PS, not IR. Little need to worry, the same issues that scared most teams away from him at the draft--his learning disability and game performances late in his last season--will keep other teams from trying to sign him off the PS onto their 53 man roster, where he'd have to be the #3 QB.

All of this is, of course, subject to change based on performances in TC and preseason, and potential signings of other teams' last minute rejects, especially any OLBs that might become available.

I don't know if we would be able to get Nate Davis on the PS, it would be a risky chance. From what I heard Cody Wallace has looked improved and I do think he will make the team. Jay Moore has a decent chance to make the team. I wouldn't be totally shocked if we carried 5 OLB's and both Moore and Brooks made the team. If both of them have a good to great pre-season, it is possible. Thanks for the feedback.
While I applaude your effort here in this very long analysis, you have one major glaring problem, in bold below.

"Eric Heitman: One of the most talked or argued about players on this board. Some people say Heitman is a very good player, some say we need to replace him as a starter. I don't know, he does have trouble getting a strong push on obvious running downs and if he doesen't get help he can get abused by bigger DT's. However, he does do a good job of making line calls, helping out and has been pretty durable. Can we do better at center, yes but we can also do worse. For now I think we can live with Heitman as our starting center as long as Baas and Rachal develop into good to very good players."

Anyone who thinks that believes Eric Heitmann (with 2 T's) needs to be replaced has zero football intelligence. To my knowledge, there is not one professional, who analyzes football, that would share that opinion.

Here are some snippets post-2008 season:
*Both our beat writers stated that Heitmann was the Niners best lineman in 2008.

*The Bleacher Report just came out with this statement recently:
Center: Eric Heitmann, San Francisco—He has the three S's that define premier centers: size, strength, and smarts.
Bleacher Report

* Here is YahooSports look at the 49ers OL:
The 49ers signed Staley to a long-term contract extension. They hope they have found a player to manage the quarterback’s blind side for a long, long time. The big competition will take place on the right side, pitting Smith, a former Pro Bowl player for the Steelers, against Snyder, who struggled at times at tackle last season. The middle of the 49ers’ line is a powerful bunch that should excel in the team’s new mindset of a power-running attack. Baas and Rachal are second-round picks who need to step up this season. Heitmann was easily the team’s best offensive lineman last season.

Yahoo Sports

*Football Outsiders ranked the Niners 6th in the NFL in 2008 in running the ball up the middle, over the center.

* San Francisco Chronicle: "Heitmann is sorely underrated as a center. He rarely makes a mistake, and since he has now fully recovered from the broken leg he sustained in 2006, Heitmann doesn't get bull rushed that often. Check out his masterpiece against the Jets' Kris Jenkins last year for evidence."

SF Gate and Chronicle

* Athlon Sports 2009 Preview: "The team’s most consistent lineman is center Eric Heitmann, who is coming off the best season of his seven-year career. The 312-pound Heitmann was strong enough to neutralize Jets nosetackle Kris Jenkins in their head-to-head meeting last season."
Athlon Sports

* Niners Nation- Center is a tough position to grade when it comes to the 49ers. They've got a very solid guy starting in Eric Heitmann (underrated in the league), but their depth is questionable at best.
Heitmann is still on the right side of 30 and quietly has been a very impressive center for the 49ers. Last season, Mike Martz actually referred to Heitmann as the best center he's ever coached by far. That can certainly be taken with a grain of salt, but it goes to show what some folks think of him. While the team is developing young talent around him, Heitmann has been the anchor of the line.

Niners Nation Article

* Betting firm- betfirms.com- " Inside the team’s best lineman is center Eric Heitmann"
Bet Firms.com

*Heitmann continues to win the Ed Block and Bob McKittrick prizes.

*Heitmann was the offensive captain last season.

In other words, Heitmann is the last one who needs to be looked at for a replacement going into 2009. Can we do better at center? Surely. Maybe we can recall the ghosts of Mike Webster, Jim Otto. But, seriously, Heitmann was a very good player in 2008.

P.S. While some of the listed above websites are not the most famous, the upcoming previews from major publications should show the same trend in their analysis.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 24, 2009 at 14:08:46 ]
I'm with Mad Dog on Heitman. Yea he's not nasty like Newberry was, but those types don't come along every day. The cerebral portion of what he does as "captain" of the o-line is very important.

I think the last 10 spots on the roster will be the result of team needs (injuries in TC) and performance in the pre-season. The good news, is that's not something we've had to worry about for quite a few years because we were just putting bodies in slots.
thats actually the best guess at a 53 man roster ive seen so far.