There are 236 users in the forums

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dgoldson38:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
qb (4)- shaun hill, alex smith, damon huard, nate davis
hb (4)- frank gore, glen coffee, michael robinson, thomas clayton
fb (1)- norris
wr (6)- captain morgan, crabtree, bruce, jones, hill, battle
OL (9)- staley, baas, heitmann, rachal, smith, snyder, wragge, wallace, boone
te (4)- davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on IR...if not then RJF to the p-squad)
LB (7)- fittytwo, spikes, haralson, lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop
cb (5)- clements, bly, brown, spencer, hudson
S (4)- goldson, lewis, smith, taylor
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, baker, price/spurlock, jay moore

but unfortunately mark roman is gonna get a roster spot which is gonna take the place of a talented player i.e. putting nate davis on the practice squad and risking losing him..

Why are people so upset that Mark Roman is going to be a back-up? We NEED him as a back-up.

Add Roman, drop Thomas Clayton.

Add Ziegler, drop Battle.

Why do we need Roman as a back up?? I think we have two capable Safeties in Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith that can get the job done if Goldson goes down. Sure hes decent back up, but his play has been average, time to give our draft picks a shot.

average means he's better than half the safeties in the nfl...theres no way theres a single safety out there who i'd rather have less than roman let alone half in the nfl

Average means, we could let a young player come in with little drop off in play.
Originally posted by WillisWillKilYou:
I don't think Clayton will make it..and i doubt we keep 4 TEs

just consider jennings a long snapper then...the point is he'll be on the roster...i dont think many people think one of those 4 wont make the team
fb (1)- norris
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on IR...if not then RJF to the p-squad)
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, baker, price/spurlock, jay moore

but unfortunately mark roman is gonna get a roster spot which is gonna take the place of a talented player i.e. putting nate davis on the practice squad and risking losing him..

Why are people so upset that Mark Roman is going to be a back-up? We NEED him as a back-up.

Why do we need Roman as a back up?? I think we have two capable Safeties in Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith that can get the job done if Goldson goes down. Sure hes decent back up, but his play has been average, time to give our draft picks a shot.

average means he's better than half the safeties in the nfl...theres no way theres a single safety out there who i'd rather have less than roman let alone half in the nfl

Average means, we could let a young player come in with little drop off in play.

theres no such thing as a drop off in play from roman...have u watched the last couple years?
Originally posted by kronik:
7 LB's for a team running a 3-4 ? I think there should be at least 8 LB's. I think Marquis Harris makes the team.

i mean we have to just accept OLB as a position without much depth...if, say, lawson and brooks both get hurt, i'd rather play Haralson as the only true OLB (with potentially m. lewis as a situational hybrid backer) until we can bring one up from the PS or sign one during the next week then cut a more talented player at a different position to have a scrub be a 4th OLB...besides, he probably wouldnt even be active so if lawson and brooks both got hurt in the same game, it wouldnt even help us for that game and we could bring harris or whatever up that monday

[ Edited by dgoldson38 on Jun 18, 2009 at 00:04:50 ]
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off? If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off? If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

still would way rather have taylor than roman
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

You are correct, sir...
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

You are correct, sir...

i can see where you're coming from with ziegler over battle except keep in mind 2 things: zeigler has PS eligibility and battle doesnt...and battle is a way better special teamer and returner if need be, esp. cuz he'd be able to focus way more on that being way lower on the wr depth chart
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

Well tell me how are they not capable then?? Draft position means squat once they get on the field. You think they just started playing football now, or that just because they're rookies they aren't capable?? So just because a player is drafted in the 6th or 7th round they shouldn't contribute or aren't capable of doing so?? You ever heard of Zack Bronson or Ronnie Heard?? Both who gambled and made much more plays than what Roman has....ask me if they were drafted??
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
QB (3)- shaun hill, alex smith, nate davis
HB (3)- frank gore, glen coffee, thomas clayton
FB/HB (1)- michael robinson
FB (1)- norris
WR (6)- morgan, crabtree, bruce, jones, hill, Zeigler
TE (4)- davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on 6 week IR thing then see how he is doing then)
LB (8)- Willis, spikes, haralson, lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop, Harris
CB (6)- clements, bly, brown, spencer, Rossum, hudson
S (4)- goldson, lewis, Roman, smith
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, Taylor, price/spurlock, jay moore

I think that's 53...

• Kush_Man16
  • Info N/A
gotta go with kory sheets over thomas clayton........
ziegler over battle....
nate davis over huard......
add another linebacker....(harris)
Originally posted by 23zack80:
QB (3)- shaun hill, alex smith, nate davis
HB (3)- frank gore, glen coffee, thomas clayton
FB/HB (1)- michael robinson
FB (1)- norris
WR (6)- morgan, crabtree, bruce, jones, hill, Zeigler
TE (4)- davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on 6 week IR thing then see how he is doing then)
LB (8)- Willis, spikes, haralson, lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop, Harris
CB (6)- clements, bly, brown, spencer, Rossum, hudson
S (4)- goldson, lewis, Roman, smith
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, Taylor, price/spurlock, jay moore

I think that's 53...

so basically roman and harris for taylor and huard?
-QB...looks like we may need to keep 4...I've heard both Matts say if Davis goes to PS, the risk of losing him would be fairly high. Coach told Huard he'll be the #3.

- RB...I'd substitute Sheets for Clayton. Kory offers running, receiving, and kick return skills, not to mention needed speed.

- WR...think we keep five...Battle's odd-man out.

- TE...technically, we keep four, Jennings being our LS.

- OL...only guy I'm not sure about is Wallace...but, he does play both C and OG, so I'll give him the nod.

- DL...agree.

- LB...I'll add Harris. Manusky coached him in San Diego...and OLB depth will be important to keep the pressure up. We need 8 LB's.

- S. I'll substitute Roman for Taylor. I know, I know...I hear the grumbling. However, with Goldson being a first-time starter and with his injury history, Singletary won't gamble with the FS position. Besides, Taylor's still pretty raw...seems to have the playmaking skills, but should Goldson go down, do you really want to put a rookie back there. Coach won't.

- CB. No arguments there.

- ST's. All three guys are rock-solid.

- PS. I like the choices...only question I have is Washington...is he still eligible?
Originally posted by stonecold590:
i think this is the year Battle gets cut.

sorry to dissappoint... but nope!!!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Looks about right. I think we go with 5 WR's and 8 LB's.

And could we possibly try ro stash Nate Davis on the PS?

I thought I read that when a team claims a player off the PS of another team, the players current team has first shot of adding the player to their own 53 man if they want to keep said player.

It would be nice to keep an experienced #3 QB (Huard) for as long as possible.

Everyone says for sure we will lose Davis if we put him on the practice squad, but if a team's desperate enough to be looking for QB's on the practice squad I doubt they'll consider Davis. We all know about his learning disability, I doubt a team would go look at a rookie QB with a learning disability and want him to pick up a completely new nfl offense midseason. My concern is that I dont really know how much learning really goes on on the practice squad honestly.

As for the roster, I'd trade clayton the webzone hero for Sheets, Ziegler for Battle, add Marques Harris and drop Nate Davis.
Share 49ersWebzone