There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*Projected* Niners Depth Chart (Updated 9/5/09)

Originally posted by stonecold590:
i think this is the year Battle gets cut.

sorry to dissappoint... but nope!!!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Looks about right. I think we go with 5 WR's and 8 LB's.

And could we possibly try ro stash Nate Davis on the PS?

I thought I read that when a team claims a player off the PS of another team, the players current team has first shot of adding the player to their own 53 man if they want to keep said player.

It would be nice to keep an experienced #3 QB (Huard) for as long as possible.

Everyone says for sure we will lose Davis if we put him on the practice squad, but if a team's desperate enough to be looking for QB's on the practice squad I doubt they'll consider Davis. We all know about his learning disability, I doubt a team would go look at a rookie QB with a learning disability and want him to pick up a completely new nfl offense midseason. My concern is that I dont really know how much learning really goes on on the practice squad honestly.

As for the roster, I'd trade clayton the webzone hero for Sheets, Ziegler for Battle, add Marques Harris and drop Nate Davis.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by dgoldson38:
qb (4)- shaun hill, alex smith, damon huard, nate davis
hb (4)- frank gore, glen coffee, michael robinson, thomas clayton
fb (1)- norris
wr (6)- captain morgan, crabtree, bruce, jones, hill, battle
OL (9)- staley, baas, heitmann, rachal, smith, snyder, wragge, wallace, boone
te (4)- davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on IR...if not then RJF to the p-squad)
LB (7)- fittytwo, spikes, haralson, lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop
cb (5)- clements, bly, brown, spencer, hudson
S (4)- goldson, lewis, smith, taylor
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, baker, price/spurlock, jay moore

but unfortunately mark roman is gonna get a roster spot which is gonna take the place of a talented player i.e. putting nate davis on the practice squad and risking losing him..

Why are people so upset that Mark Roman is going to be a back-up? We NEED him as a back-up.

Add Roman, drop Thomas Clayton.

Add Ziegler, drop Battle.

Why do we need Roman as a back up?? I think we have two capable Safeties in Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith that can get the job done if Goldson goes down. Sure hes decent back up, but his play has been average, time to give our draft picks a shot.

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off? If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

Well tell me how are they not capable then?? Draft position means squat once they get on the field. You think they just started playing football now, or that just because they're rookies they aren't capable?? So just because a player is drafted in the 6th or 7th round they shouldn't contribute or aren't capable of doing so?? You ever heard of Zack Bronson or Ronnie Heard?? Both who gambled and made much more plays than what Roman has....ask me if they were drafted??

I'm not saying he isn't capable, but it's not possible to say that about a player. When you invest an early round pick into a player, that prediction can be made because the probability of being successful is higher. Of course you don't have to be a first round pick to be successful, but with any rookie, especially one that did not perform well enough in college to warrant much consideration in the draft, I think the player needs to prove something before he is dubbed a "capable" player. Crabtree is also unproven, but we have reasons to assume he'll be successful based on his college productions (perfect correlation with NFL success? not by a long shot, I realize). As far as Taylor goes, I think he's lucky to make the team, and if I'm wrong, that's something noone can predict now.
qb - (4) Hill, Smith, Huard, Davis
rb - (3) Gore, Coffee, Robinson
fb - (1) Norris
wr - (6) Morgan, Crabtree, Bruce, Jones, Hill, Ziegler
te - (3) Davis, Walker, Pascoe
ol - (9) Staley, Wragge, Heitman, Rachal, Snyder, Smith, Baas, Wallace, Boone
dl - (6) Balmer, Franklin, Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Evans
lb - (7) Lawson, Spikes, Willis, Haralson, McKillop, Ulbrich, Brooks (real thin unit)
s - (5) Goldson, Lewis, Smith, Roman, Baker
cb - (5) Clements, Brown, Bly, Spencer, Hudson (extremely thin unit)
k - (1) Nedny
p - (1) Lee
ls - (1) Jennings
ks - (1) Rossum (possibly Sheets, but unlikely)

ps - Sheets, RJF, Taylor (obviously others go here as well)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
fb (1)- norris
DL (6)- evans, balmer, franklin, sopoaga, smith, RJF (with mcdonald on IR...if not then RJF to the p-squad)
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

PS (8)- zeigler, sheets, toledo, washington, bender, baker, price/spurlock, jay moore

but unfortunately mark roman is gonna get a roster spot which is gonna take the place of a talented player i.e. putting nate davis on the practice squad and risking losing him..

Why are people so upset that Mark Roman is going to be a back-up? We NEED him as a back-up.

Why do we need Roman as a back up?? I think we have two capable Safeties in Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith that can get the job done if Goldson goes down. Sure hes decent back up, but his play has been average, time to give our draft picks a shot.

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off?
If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

Well tell me how are they not capable then?? Draft position means squat once they get on the field. You think they just started playing football now, or that just because they're rookies they aren't capable?? So just because a player is drafted in the 6th or 7th round they shouldn't contribute or aren't capable of doing so?? You ever heard of Zack Bronson or Ronnie Heard?? Both who gambled and made much more plays than what Roman has....ask me if they were drafted??

I'm not saying he isn't capable, but it's not possible to say that about a player. When you invest an early round pick into a player, that prediction can be made because the probability of being successful is higher. Of course you don't have to be a first round pick to be successful, but with any rookie, especially one that did not perform well enough in college to warrant much consideration in the draft, I think the player needs to prove something before he is dubbed a "capable" player. Crabtree is also unproven, but we have reasons to assume he'll be successful based on his college productions (perfect correlation with NFL success? not by a long shot, I realize). As far as Taylor goes, I think he's lucky to make the team, and if I'm wrong, that's something noone can predict now.

How is it not possible to say a rookie 6th or 7th round pick isn't capable of filling in a back up role?? I just gave you two examples of undrafted rookies that did. Do you want a up to date 7th round pick that filled in nicely as a starter, Chris Horton, he played better than a #6 overall pick in Michael Huff ever did. Like I said draft status doesn't mean squat when your on the field, its all about how you perform and taking advantage of the opportunity given to you.

We're both arguing about 6th and 7th round picks making the team and/or filling in as a back up, and yet in your post above, you pick Lewis Baker and Alex Boone to make it. Aren't you contradicting yourself, and Taylor was at least drafted.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
qb - (4) Hill, Smith, Huard, Davis
rb - (3) Gore, Coffee, Robinson
fb - (1) Norris
wr - (6) Morgan, Crabtree, Bruce, Jones, Hill, Ziegler
te - (3) Davis, Walker, Pascoe
ol - (9) Staley, Wragge, Heitman, Rachal, Snyder, Smith, Baas, Wallace, Boone
dl - (6) Balmer, Franklin, Smith, McDonald, Sopoaga, Evans
lb - (7) Lawson, Spikes, Willis, Haralson, McKillop, Ulbrich, Brooks (real thin unit)
s - (5) Goldson, Lewis, Smith, Roman, Baker
cb - (5) Clements, Brown, Bly, Spencer, Hudson (extremely thin unit)
k - (1) Nedny
p - (1) Lee
ls - (1) Jennings
ks - (1) Rossum (possibly Sheets, but unlikely)

ps - Sheets, RJF, Taylor (obviously others go here as well)
Originally posted by elguapo:
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

Very close but i think Jennings is done at te and battle may be out this year.

exactly was i was thinking. and we'll lose Huard before Davis.
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

The Niners will more than likely keep 3 QB's, so you can put Davis on the PS (I seriously doubt some team is going to use a precious 53-man spot to add a guy who is not ready to play in the NFL...it runs against the grain of the league..guys grabbed from PS rosters are expected to PLAY on Sunday, not sit on the bench in order to develop). Roman is going to make this team, so expect Taylor to join Davis on the PS. Two good battles will be between Boone and Bender, and Clayton and Sheets. I'll predict that Bender and Clayton make the team, and the two rooks make the PS.

There is no way the Niners will have only one backup OLB in Brooks. With the extra roster spot from the 4th QB, the Niners will add an 8th LB, probably M. Harris.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jun 18, 2009 at 04:40:39 ]
  • r28884
  • Info N/A
QB (3)- Alex smith, shaun hill,nate davis
HB (3)- Frank gore, glen coffee, Kori Sheets
FB (1)- Norris
WR (6)- Bruce, Morgan, jones, hill, crabtree, Battle
OL (9)- Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, snyder, wragge, wallace, boone
TE (4)- Davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- Balmer, Sopoaga, Smith, evans, franklin, RJF (with mcdonald on 6 week IR thing then see how he is doing then)
LB (8)- Willis, Spikes, Haralson, Lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop, Harris
CB (6)- Clements, Bly, brown, spencer, Rossum, hudson
S (4)- Goldson, Lewis, Roman, smith, taylor
K (1)- Nedney
P (1)- Lee
PS (8)- zeigler, toledo, washington, bender, price/spurlock, jay moore

That's our 53... Bold being starters!!!
Originally posted by elguapo:
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

Very close but i think Jennings is done at te and battle may be out this year.

Jennings is the LS and just got an extension.............

[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 18, 2009 at 05:44:53 ]
Originally posted by r28884:
QB (3)- Alex smith, shaun hill,nate davis
HB (3)- Frank gore, glen coffee, Kori Sheets
FB (1)- Norris
WR (6)- Bruce, Morgan, jones, hill, crabtree, Battle
OL (9)- Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, snyder, wragge, wallace, boone
TE (4)- Davis, walker, pascoe, jennings
DL (6)- Balmer, Sopoaga, Smith, evans, franklin, RJF (with mcdonald on 6 week IR thing then see how he is doing then)
LB (8)- Willis, Spikes, Haralson, Lawson, brooks, ulbrich, mckillop, Harris
CB (6)- Clements, Bly, brown, spencer, Rossum, hudson
S (4)- Goldson, Lewis, Roman, smith, taylor
K (1)- Nedney
P (1)- Lee
PS (8)- zeigler, toledo, washington, bender, price/spurlock, jay moore

That's our 53... Bold being starters!!!

MRob will make the roster easily imo. He is our ST stud and every team nees one.

I also think Battle gets the axe. Zeigler is a raw prospect who is coming along nicely. I don't think the team can and will hide him on the PS for AB to play out his last season with the team.
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

Taylor is a capable player? Where did that info come from? Since when does being a 6th round ( or was it 7th?) make you a capable player before TC even kicks off?
If anything, he's. Long shot to make the team. I think the only way he makes the team is if the coaches feel the secondary is that thin. In that case Roman will definately be around

How is it not possible to say a rookie 6th or 7th round pick isn't capable of filling in a back up role?? I just gave you two examples of undrafted rookies that did. Do you want a up to date 7th round pick that filled in nicely as a starter, Chris Horton, he played better than a #6 overall pick in Michael Huff ever did. Like I said draft status doesn't mean squat when your on the field, its all about how you perform and taking advantage of the opportunity given to you.

We're both arguing about 6th and 7th round picks making the team and/or filling in as a back up, and yet in your post above, you pick Lewis Baker and Alex Boone to make it. Aren't you contradicting yourself, and Taylor was at least drafted.

I agree that a 7th rounder can do just fine. I agree that a 7th rounder can do fine as a rookie. In fact, nothing is stopping an undrafted rookie from a pro bowler, sure, but THIS PARTICULAR ROOKIE has not validated that claim at all. How can you assume that he's better than Roman. I know Roman isn't great, but he understands the defense, is able to call plays (to this point better than everyone else on the defense), and has experience. I'm not saying we don't need an upgrade at the position because we have the great Mark Roman, but I do think he gets the nod over someone completely unproven, who has given me no reason to believe that he's capable of being a productive player.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
fb (1)- norris
K (1)- nedney
P (1)- lee
RS (1)- rossum

I agree that a 7th rounder can do just fine. I agree that a 7th rounder can do fine as a rookie. In fact, nothing is stopping an undrafted rookie from a pro bowler, sure, but THIS PARTICULAR ROOKIE has not validated that claim at all. How can you assume that he's better than Roman. I know Roman isn't great, but he understands the defense, is able to call plays (to this point better than everyone else on the defense), and has experience. I'm not saying we don't need an upgrade at the position because we have the great Mark Roman, but I do think he gets the nod over someone completely unproven, who has given me no reason to believe that he's capable of being a productive player.

OK now your putting words into my mouth. Where did I say Taylor was better than Roman?? What I did say was Roman's play is average and that our young DB's are more than capable of filling in for him and that its about time we give our young guys a shot.

You went from telling me that a 6th and 7th round pick is nowhere capable of filling in as a back up to agreeing with me.
Originally posted by mayo63:
No way Clayton makes it over Robinson. Robinson is too valuable on ST.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by mayo63:
No way Clayton makes it over Robinson. Robinson is too valuable on ST.

I think Cody Wallace spends another year on the Practice Squad. This will make room for Robinson. Backs: Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, Sheets. Clayton makes only PS. I believe Nate Davis will experience a mysterious injury during the last week of TC that can be cured only by a year on IR.