There are 209 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Lets see now,what do we KNOW...Sing has said Hill is the starter and must be beat out to lose the job. Smith has looked worse than Hill in practice and in both games. (although Hill did not have a good game either,he wasn't as pathetic as Smith).
And as I have been telling you all for a long ,long time,Davis is the most talented QB on the roster by far,but raw. Hill will do just fine until Davis is ready.

And we also KNOW that Hill played with a broken finger on his throwing hand and had a QB rating during those games of near 100 ! Alex has a boo boo on his thumb (that he got because he threw one of his trademark horribly high and innacurate passes for an int and had to tackle the guy before he made it a pick 6,nice tackle by the way and nice block earlier in the game,maybe Alex should be moved to linebacker ,lol).
What we don't need is another Alexcuse (his thumb hurts). Hill didn't whine and went out and played GREAT ,with a broken finger on his throwing hand. I am pretty sure Alex has too much class to whine and make Alexcuses,but his delusional fans simply will not see reason and keep making up all the phoney excuses,and this will probably be another one we will hear. (thumb).
We have heard that he had poor OC's and a bad O line and bad WR's etc etc,but Hill played with aLL those same surrounding cast and thrived.
No more Alexcuses people,face reality,Smith is just not a very good QB. (make him a LBer,lol,at least we know he can block and tackle,lol)
Originally posted by ninertico:
The bottom line is that we are still at the same point as in the beginning of TC with no starter named.

To me, it is more a matter of what Hill hasn't done as opposed to Alex doin more. IMO, Hill should have locked this thing down over the course of both games, but he didn't. That concerns me. He looked this bad against StL in StL, but he did come back to win it as with Washingtion as well. If this is the best we got, then ya I'm concerned.

As far as Alex, he did show better poise and pocket presence for sure. His delivery was better and he made good decision when throwing it away. However, the bottom line is his passer rating whether or not his team dropped balls. Who knows if both Davis and Morgan catches those balls, but that would be another excuse to justify his rating.

IMO, Alex didn't show enough to outplay Hill and that in itself says quite a bit too even given his comeback...just not enough.

So, where does that leave us? Hoping, simply hoping, Hill shows more than what he did against Oaktown because right now it is still Hill's team. Unless something extraordinary happens with Smith in Dallas, Hill will be named the starter by the end of that game.

As much as I wanted Smith to succeed in being named the starter, it just won't happen, yet. I think that Smith will get better as the season progresses to the point that if Hill screws up, then he will jump in.

Right now, that ain't happening.

Drop balls or not, Singletary is looking at the details, Do you honestly believe he is going to look at those three dropped passes and blame it on Smith. He did what he needed to do but at some point the Receivers have to make a play perfect throw or not.

I can't wait til the Starter is named so i can stop posting in this thread because it's taking up half of my life....f**k it im a FAN.
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Lets see now,what do we KNOW...Sing has said Hill is the starter and must be beat out to lose the job. Smith has looked worse than Hill in practice and in both games. (although Hill did not have a good game either,he wasn't as pathetic as Smith).
And as I have been telling you all for a long ,long time,Davis is the most talented QB on the roster by far,but raw. Hill will do just fine until Davis is ready.

And we also KNOW that Hill played with a broken finger on his throwing hand and had a QB rating during those games of near 100 ! Alex has a boo boo on his thumb (that he got because he threw one of his trademark horribly high and innacurate passes for an int and had to tackle the guy before he made it a pick 6,nice tackle by the way and nice block earlier in the game,maybe Alex should be moved to linebacker ,lol).
What we don't need is another Alexcuse (his thumb hurts). Hill didn't whine and went out and played GREAT ,with a broken finger on his throwing hand. I am pretty sure Alex has too much class to whine and make Alexcuses,but his delusional fans simply will not see reason and keep making up all the phoney excuses,and this will probably be another one we will hear. (thumb).
We have heard that he had poor OC's and a bad O line and bad WR's etc etc,but Hill played with aLL those same surrounding cast and thrived.
No more Alexcuses people,face reality,Smith is just not a very good QB. (make him a LBer,lol,at least we know he can block and tackle,lol)

Who scored a TD and who didn't? They both had it within the 5. No MORE HILLUSIONS.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Does anybody get the feeling that the higher ups (McClueless) is pressuring Singletary to name Smith as the starter. Because it really makes no sense for Singletary to wait this long.

Personally I think we are screwed at QB. Smith is an epic fail and everybody knows it. Also I have a feeling that Hill is going to be exposed now that defenses have enough film on him.

You actually think anything other than Hills terrible performance against the raiders is making it difficult to name the starter, I think that is what the holdup is. Smith made progress while Hill regressed because the raiders defense figured out all you have to do against him is cut off the underneath stuff and he becomes ineffectual, just like last year against the Lambs @ St. Louis.

I didnt see any progress. All I saw was him hold the ball forever and then roll out to the right like he always does and throw it away. On the few throws he actually did hit the receiver he looked terrible and the throws were very inaccurate.

Maybe you should try paying attention then, he had three passes that should have been caught, made quicker reads and put the ball in the receivers hands. I understand though, you are one of the guys that is just going to hate Smith even if he continues to improve.

I wonna see results like TD drives and nice passes that hit receivers in stride. I dont hate Alex Smith, I want him to be a star but that dude just dont have it. All I hear is excuses that people continue to come up for him.

Im not saying Hill is MUCH better but he is better then Alex.

First off lets erase the past because neithers record means s**t. Talk to me about hill being 7-3 when he played a whole season. Second if we go on this year alone, just like Sing is doing for that matter than HIll hasnt showed any effect on why he should be the starter. First game, two underneath throws to VD, no spreading the field, and his drive stalled. Period

This last game he got in after smith should have finished the drive. took over and nothing. Then the time that did it for me, is when Raiders scored. I think Sing kept him in because of this starter mentality, since he played better in the raiders practices, and for him to throw it in their face with a score. Coffee and hill drove the ball down, but whats been the re-ocurring theme with hill. All his drives have stalled, and he doesnt look down the field at all. He looks for VD, and the 15yd and underneath throw first. Dont you notice how he never spreads the ball around. And not in TC, im talking pre-season games only.

And since you and HILL himself says, "my job is to score TD's". Well soo far he's had the same time and situation as smith, one on the 3yd line and him on the 4th, and did he score. Well maybe he did and i missed it. Overall, alex may not be the guy, but come on, some, not all hill fans need to look at both sides and not just the blinders they have on when it comes to hill.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Does anybody get the feeling that the higher ups (McClueless) is pressuring Singletary to name Smith as the starter. Because it really makes no sense for Singletary to wait this long.

Personally I think we are screwed at QB. Smith is an epic fail and everybody knows it. Also I have a feeling that Hill is going to be exposed now that defenses have enough film on him.

You actually think anything other than Hills terrible performance against the raiders is making it difficult to name the starter, I think that is what the holdup is. Smith made progress while Hill regressed because the raiders defense figured out all you have to do against him is cut off the underneath stuff and he becomes ineffectual, just like last year against the Lambs @ St. Louis.

Preach on brotha

what ever you two .... Teams had lots of games to adjust to Hill's "weaknesses" last season....and they didn't....why because he knows what he is doing out there and usually plays within himself...

I forgot who it was....but someone mentioned the Rams game as an example of how teams adjusted to Hill, couple of pages back....in the beginning of that game Hill did not play within himself...and made some dumb decisions...ironically this is the same game where all his family and his friends came to watch him play live for the first time......but either way it was his fault and he made mistakes....in the beginning......he almost got pulled and talked Singletary into letting him stay in there....and what did he do....he completed 10 of 15 for 127 yards and two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, capped by a 48-yard Bomb to Josh Morgan.

next game he faced a much better Redskins team.....and he still moved the ball on them....

one thing some on the board seem to think is that you need to have a strong arm to be successful...which I think is hilarious....Hill has a strong enough arm. A QB he plays very similar to is Rich Gannon....very accurate in the 0-30 yards radius....but also made deep throws when ever need be......and that is what Hill has shown...

granted Hill has not hit any deep throws in these preseason games....but when you have Michael Robinson and Arnez Battle running the deep routes...they will most likely not burn their man...and that is what happened in the Raider game...they were covered and Hill overthrew them....its not like his arm was not strong enough and he under threw it......

as soon as teams really try to play underneath like some of you presume....Hill will just go over the top like he did against the Cardinals to Josh Morgan.....as well as against the Rams to....again Josh Morgan.....and maybe a deep pass to Vernon here and there.

Also....why has Alex not thrown a deep pass this preseason?....isn't that his specialty....isn't that his main advantage over Hill....you'd think they would test it out.....he has had more chances to prove this with all the snaps he has took this preseason.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:

Who scored a TD and who didn't? They both had it within the 5. No MORE HILLUSIONS.

Not to mention Smith at least got the ball to where the receivers could catch it but failed to. Hill on the other hand not so much. He was over throwing receivers just like Smith. I personally felt Smith did slightly better than Hill but overall their performances were pretty identical. The only part of the offense that was clicking was the run game. QB's were off and receivers just weren't catching the ball. Not to mention Bruce's lazy attempt at a "one handed" catch that he should have used 2 hands to catch. Oh well the game is over bring on next week and lets see what Smith and Hill can bring to the table.
Hill to start 9/13. Just announced by Sing.
Originally posted by MertonHanks:

OMG Merton Hanks I am such a huge fan!! Can you show me how to do the chicken dance??

sorry I had too

beat me to it.

Originally posted by backontop:

OMG Merton Hanks I am such a huge fan!! Can you show me how to do the chicken dance??

sorry I had too

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

FINALLY OVER!!!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:

FINALLY OVER!!!!!!
Hooray!
Share 49ersWebzone