LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Does anybody get the feeling that the higher ups (McClueless) is pressuring Singletary to name Smith as the starter. Because it really makes no sense for Singletary to wait this long.

Personally I think we are screwed at QB. Smith is an epic fail and everybody knows it. Also I have a feeling that Hill is going to be exposed now that defenses have enough film on him.

You actually think anything other than Hills terrible performance against the raiders is making it difficult to name the starter, I think that is what the holdup is. Smith made progress while Hill regressed because the raiders defense figured out all you have to do against him is cut off the underneath stuff and he becomes ineffectual, just like last year against the Lambs @ St. Louis.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Thrash88:
Some people are honestly blinded by a victory against the Jets because he hasn't beat another good team and I'll once again beat your personal opinion with "actual facts"

When they played that great Buccaneers team. We were losing 13-6 at half when 3/4 of the Buccaneers starters came out.

"The Buccaneers (9-6) already are headed to the playoffs as the NFC's No. 4 seed, so Tampa Bay treated the day as a glorified exhibition, removing nearly every key player in the second half."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271223025

He then went on to beat a 5-9 Cincinnati team, quite impressive whose starting running back was non other then Rudi Johnson on the downside of his career and Kenny Watson. Wait who the heck is Kenny Watson, enough said.

As for last year, his impressive two wins against the Rams, not to mention that last game he threw 3 INT! Those 2-14 Rams sure must of been tough! He beat the Bills who were put to 6-6 after that game, awsome. I'll give him the Jets game that was a hell of a game all be it Favre wasn't exactly god last year.

You wanna talk about winning, again show me facts. Beating up on scrubs doesn't do it. If he could beat scrubs the last two years he shouldn't have any trouble this preseason as it's the same competition level, yet hes struggling. Not a good sign for niner fans!

So once again show me the facts. I'm tired of people defending their opinions with more..opinions. You can't deny the facts and read above for any information your brain won't accept. This year will be decided based on who's performing better THIS YEAR. So far that is Smith as he has played good both games rather then just one.

ok here are more facts.... Alex against the Raiders had a 4.2 QB rating....what do you have to say about that? what more excuses....

you are defending a lost cause....some of you blind Alex homers know Shaun will be the starter.....even if they play "even" against the Cowboys or if Alex out plays Hill again with a 4.2 QB rating

all you folks have is hope....hope that Shaun will struggle in the regular season and that Alex will come in and look spectacular.......again

like Hasselback said on National TV...on ESPN today, Alex is lucky to even be in a competition and the only reason he is, is because of the money lost on this kid.

any other QB would have been kicked to the curb a long time ago......injury or not.

are u just looking at stats or did u acually watch the f**king game if you watched then u wouldve realized that they were 3 dropped passes 1 for an int for all we know if davis bruce and morgan did not drop the ball he couldve got a tds on those drives maybe if you had an iq big eough to form your own opinion you would realize that

look 49ersalldaway126....don't take it personal....that reply was not to you or others on the board....it was specifically to Trash88......and he has no answer for it....so lets just let it go.

You know what's even more funny, is that all this bickering between eachother doesnt even mean s**t cuz its not in our hands. So i know see the arguing as pointless.

But Afrikan, even JOE COOL acknowledge that Smith played better against the raiders. So there is no point to completly blast Smith.

But yo i wish this s**t was already over cuz i wanna f**k the cowboys up. without lube. LOL hahahaahaa

And i hope Andy Lee breaks there f**king JumboTron
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Does anybody get the feeling that the higher ups (McClueless) is pressuring Singletary to name Smith as the starter. Because it really makes no sense for Singletary to wait this long.

Personally I think we are screwed at QB. Smith is an epic fail and everybody knows it. Also I have a feeling that Hill is going to be exposed now that defenses have enough film on him.

You actually think anything other than Hills terrible performance against the raiders is making it difficult to name the starter, I think that is what the holdup is. Smith made progress while Hill regressed because the raiders defense figured out all you have to do against him is cut off the underneath stuff and he becomes ineffectual, just like last year against the Lambs @ St. Louis.

I didnt see any progress. All I saw was him hold the ball forever and then roll out to the right like he always does and throw it away. On the few throws he actually did hit the receiver he looked terrible and the throws were very inaccurate.

I didnt see any progress. All I saw was him hold the ball forever and then roll out to the right like he always does and throw it away. On the few throws he actually did hit the receiver he looked terrible and the throws were very inaccurate.

and that's why you dont work for the 49ers....

But to your credit you may be right about us being screwed at QB
[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:12 PM ]
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Maybe the 49ers should just flip a coin & let fate decide who the starter is. End all the drama.
[ Edited by Nes49 on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by danimal:
I think Hill and Smith have been pretty even thus far. A lot of people say that means Hill should be the starter. I really don't know. I hope the 49ers are taking everything into account. If Hill has a slight edge over Alex, is it really worth starting him, considering that Alex is younger and has much, much more upside? I, too, can't wait until they finally reach a decision.

I can't wait until this franchise acquires someone who knows how to judge QB's, and heck maybe even develop one.

Until that day my friends, losing seasons is what we will continue to endure.

Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill....tells me the Yorks just aren't trying.....surprise surprise

Shoulda' taken Aaron Rodgers. Oh well. Wonder if anyone good is coming out next year. We have 2 1st rounders we could get our QB and pass rusher.

Disagree...he woulda gone through the same BS. He has it better with the Packers handling (Aaron's) development. Sat him behind Farve awhile will learning 1 single system.

That might be true. I just think overall Rodgers seems more polished than Smith. Rodgers seems to have more poise. I don't know if that has to do with the Packers or not, but still, I see your point. Maybe if Smith went to GB he'd be tearing it up right now, too.

It was just a better situation for a rookie QB to go into than here, Rodgers is lucky to have been handled correctly. I think that he and Smith were on the same level as far as skills, Smith might have been just a little more athletic.
Maybe the 49ers should just flip a coin to decide who the starter is. End all the drama.

s**t that may not be a bad Idea. Let Fate decide. lol
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
I think Hill and Smith have been pretty even thus far. A lot of people say that means Hill should be the starter. I really don't know. I hope the 49ers are taking everything into account. If Hill has a slight edge over Alex, is it really worth starting him, considering that Alex is younger and has much, much more upside? I, too, can't wait until they finally reach a decision.

I can't wait until this franchise acquires someone who knows how to judge QB's, and heck maybe even develop one.

Until that day my friends, losing seasons is what we will continue to endure.

Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill....tells me the Yorks just aren't trying.....surprise surprise

Shoulda' taken Aaron Rodgers. Oh well. Wonder if anyone good is coming out next year. We have 2 1st rounders we could get our QB and pass rusher.

Disagree...he woulda gone through the same BS. He has it better with the Packers handling (Aaron's) development. Sat him behind Farve awhile will learning 1 single system.

That might be true. I just think overall Rodgers seems more polished than Smith. Rodgers seems to have more poise. I don't know if that has to do with the Packers or not, but still, I see your point. Maybe if Smith went to GB he'd be tearing it up right now, too.

It was just a better situation for a rookie QB to go into than here, Rodgers is lucky to have been handled correctly. I think that he and Smith were on the same level as far as skills, Smith might have been just a little more athletic.

True, and supposedly Smith had the more accurate, powerful arm.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by aacadena:

and that's why you dont work for the 49ers....

But to your credit you may be right about us being screwed at QB

Yah I dont work for the niners but I dont like we would be much worse even if I was the GM.

Maybe you should try paying attention then, he had three passes that should have been caught, made quicker reads and put the ball in the receivers hands. I understand though, you are one of the guys that is just going to hate Smith even if he continues to improve.

• B650
  • Veteran

Maybe you should try paying attention then, he had three passes that should have been caught, made quicker reads and put the ball in the receivers hands. I understand though, you are one of the guys that is just going to hate Smith even if he continues to improve.

Yup.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I wonna see results like TD drives and nice passes that hit receivers in stride. I dont hate Alex Smith, I want him to be a star but that dude just dont have it. All I hear is excuses that people continue to come up for him.

Im not saying Hill is MUCH better but he is better then Alex.

Preach on brotha
The bottom line is that we are still at the same point as in the beginning of TC with no starter named.

To me, it is more a matter of what Hill hasn't done as opposed to Alex doin more. IMO, Hill should have locked this thing down over the course of both games, but he didn't. That concerns me. He looked this bad against StL in StL, but he did come back to win it as with Washingtion as well. If this is the best we got, then ya I'm concerned.

As far as Alex, he did show better poise and pocket presence for sure. His delivery was better and he made good decision when throwing it away. However, the bottom line is his passer rating whether or not his team dropped balls. Who knows if both Davis and Morgan catches those balls, but that would be another excuse to justify his rating.

IMO, Alex didn't show enough to outplay Hill and that in itself says quite a bit too even given his comeback...just not enough.

So, where does that leave us? Hoping, simply hoping, Hill shows more than what he did against Oaktown because right now it is still Hill's team. Unless something extraordinary happens with Smith in Dallas, Hill will be named the starter by the end of that game.

As much as I wanted Smith to succeed in being named the starter, it just won't happen, yet. I think that Smith will get better as the season progresses to the point that if Hill screws up, then he will jump in.

Right now, that ain't happening.

You know what's Funny is that Smith said he felt comfortable before the game and it did really seem that way. I dont know if i have ever seen him step INTO the pocket like he did on sat instead of Opting to run outside.
Share 49ersWebzone