There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB Competition

Originally posted by Leathaface:
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

Smith's chance to win the job was against the Raiders but he less than dazzled. Good progress but not near enough.

At this point, i give Hill a 90% chance of starting and Smith 10% chance of starting* on opening day. This does mean that Smith has to show something that we've never seen before in Dallas.

*Discounting injuries (knock on wood)

-9fA
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.

ya

when the head coach won't announce a starter that usually = no question who the starter is

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

This
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

Smith's chance to win the job was against the Raiders but he less than dazzled. Good progress but not near enough.

At this point, i give Hill a 90% chance of starting and Smith 10% chance of starting* on opening day. This does mean that Smith has to show something that we've never seen before in Dallas.

*Discounting injuries (knock on wood)

-9fA

Totally fair assessment. I agree with everything you said.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,445
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.

ya

when the head coach won't announce a starter that usually = no question who the starter is

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

This

The only way Smith has any shot is if he lights it up vs. the 1st stringers. I mean like 150 yards 2TD... and Hill has to continue as he is. Anything less and Hill retains the job.

If it wasnt still in the Air then why would Singletary hold back from announcing the starter.
This week smith took a few steps forward and next week he'll take a few steps back
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

Smith's chance to win the job was against the Raiders but he less than dazzled. Good progress but not near enough.

At this point, i give Hill a 90% chance of starting and Smith 10% chance of starting* on opening day. This does mean that Smith has to show something that we've never seen before in Dallas.

*Discounting injuries (knock on wood)

-9fA

As usual, good level headed post.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.

If he shows that the raiders game was just a bad night and not a trend, I agree, but Smith played better than Hill, which doesn't say much when Hill played so terribly. If those three very catchable balls were not dropped by the receivers, Smith would have looked even better. Bottom line, these guys better get on the ball.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Aug 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM ]
IMO, Singletary might just start Smith just to see what he can do against the starting Dallas D. Again, this would be to evaluate his response to a big game situation which in all essence of the word is for both Smith and Hill.

If I was the coaching staff, I would want to develop a passing attack against their D for both QBs. We need to see them respond both of them.

You know, like a rookie.
Originally posted by ninertico:
IMO, Singletary might just start Smith just to see what he can do against the starting Dallas D. Again, this would be to evaluate his response to a big game situation which in all essence of the word is for both Smith and Hill.

If I was the coaching staff, I would want to develop a passing attack against their D for both QBs. We need to see them respond both of them.

You know, like a rookie.

Yeah so the question really is, who starts? I'm gonna guess that they'll play alternating series. If not then i would personally prefer to see Smith play to see how far he progresses.

-9fA
Horrible performance by both Hill and Smith. The difference is Smith is consistently playing like this and Hill had an off night (I hope!)

Our QB situation if it continues like this will lose us a lot of games.

Nate Davis hope is starting to begin, I hope Hill can take that away.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.

ya

when the head coach won't announce a starter that usually = no question who the starter is

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

I don't, was just sayin lol
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Horrible performance by both Hill and Smith. The difference is Smith is consistently playing like this and Hill had an off night (I hope!)

Our QB situation if it continues like this will lose us a lot of games.

Nate Davis hope is starting to begin, I hope Hill can take that away.

Hill had an "off" night because the Raiders were covering underneath like flies on sht.

Hill will start the regular season but this isn't the last time you see Hill become very limited.

And please don't bring up Alex. I'm talking about HILL right now.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.

ya

when the head coach won't announce a starter that usually = no question who the starter is

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

I think Hill is going to be named the starter. I also think there is a good chance Smith will be the starter by the end of the season.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.

If he shows that the raiders game was just a bad night and not a trend, I agree, but Smith played better than Hill, which doesn't say much when Hill played so terribly. If those three very catchable balls were not dropped by the receivers, Smith would have looked even better. Bottom line, these guys better get on the ball.

High and behind is catchable but your asking for trouble. Either your receiver is going to get lit up or there are going to be some ints. That's smiths problem and i was looking for him to hit a receiver in stride, but he continues to disappoint.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Horrible performance by both Hill and Smith. The difference is Smith is consistently playing like this and Hill had an off night (I hope!)

Our QB situation if it continues like this will lose us a lot of games.

Nate Davis hope is starting to begin, I hope Hill can take that away.

Hill had an "off" night because the Raiders were covering underneath like flies on sht.

Hill will start the regular season but this isn't the last time you see Hill become very limited.

And please don't bring up Alex. I'm talking about HILL right now.

We saw against the Rams in St. Louis what happens when defenses jump the underneath stuff, he suddenly isn't the great QB that some here would like to believe. If Smith continues to improve over the year we should really get him in there. He has shown signs of improving so far this year, and with the team finally having a QB coach that seems to know what he is doing, he might finally become a better option than Hill. I know there are some posters here that will deny that Smith looked better against the raiders(better pocket presence, making the correct reads in a reasonable amount of time, keeping his eyes down the field...etc.) but I saw a small step in the right direction from our much beleaguered and maligned QB.