There are 238 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Last night's performance was abysmal by both Hill and Smith. If neither can step it up we will have a major problem to be a well rounded offense. We can run the ball but passing has become limited and that is not good in this league. Smith still holds the ball too long, underthrows, throws behind and off target, or tends to throw high and causes interceptions. The wounded ducks he was throwing out there was just horrible. Very discouraging in his 5th year.
I am hoping Hill just had an off night, but he did not look good. Davis is just too green. I don't know if Huard brings anything to the dance of not.
It will tougher in Dallas next Saturday, let's hope someone steps up?

Wow, I don't usually pay a whole lot of attention to this argument since I don't care who starts as long as we win, but I had to call you on this. Smith is hurt for almost two full years and you count that against him to bolster your argument. Come on, don't twist facts to fit your argument that only weakens your point. Realistically this would be his third year and coming off a major injury.
Also Hill is the one who throws wounded ducks which is why our receivers can catch them so easily. As long as that works I'am ok with Hill.

Disagree with you and Memphis, my perogative. Smith at 5 years should have a better mental grasp of the game and he doesn't. He takes too long on his reads and throws high or behind his receivers. You can have your opinion and I have mine. I am not a Smith hater nor a Hill fan, I just want someone to step up and play the position with consistency, not greatness, I will just settle for consistency, so far I don't see it? I hope one of them steps up next week, actually I hope both of them step up next week?

I think we agree more than disagree on neither quarterback showing much. I wish one would look a lot better than the other so maybe this whole argument would go away. From your post I think we can agree that would make us both happy. My problem was only with your assertion that Smith is in his fifth year when really he is only in his third year with yet again a different OC. He has only "Played" the better part of two years and not 4 as you intimate. That is a huge difference. Man, if he had four seasons of playing under fire and looked like this then we would be in complete agreement. But since he is effectively only starting his third season behind the center, under an NFL rush I just have a little more patience with him. I have believed from the beginning that Nolan blew it by starting him too soon and not having him sit two years like GB did with Aaron Rodgers. The team wasn't going anywhere then anyway. I still don't think he is very accurate, he does holds the ball too long and doesn't dump the ball off as well as Hill does.
However, as you said we can agree to disagree on this one point.
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!
Originally posted by PTulini:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Alex Smith- 8 Completions 16 Attempts 50% Comp. % 63 Yards 7.875 Avg. Yards per Comp. 1 TDs 1 INTs 1 Sacks

Quote:

Shaun Hill- 5 Completions 9 Attempts 55% Comp. % 61 Yards 12.2 Avg. Yards per Comp. 0 TDs 0 INTs 3 Sacks

I just thought I would compare each QBs statistics after Game 2. These numbers come from NFL.com! Neither QB appears to have seperated himself from the other. I think the starting QB decision will be made after Game 3 vs Dallas. This week is crunch time for both QBs!

I don't think there's any question that Shaun Hill is our starting QB.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Quote:

ya

when the head coach won't announce a starter that usually = no question who the starter is
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Quote:

ya

when the head coach won't announce a starter that usually = no question who the starter is

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Alex Smith as any chance at being our opening day starter. Hill goes 3 for 7 and all of a sudden he's on even ground with Smith? Get real.

Does anyone honestly think Smith is going to win the 'competition'? That's what I'd like to hear. Not any of this "it's still in the air guys!" I'd like to know who actually believes Alex Smith is going to start.

Smith's chance to win the job was against the Raiders but he less than dazzled. Good progress but not near enough.

At this point, i give Hill a 90% chance of starting and Smith 10% chance of starting* on opening day. This does mean that Smith has to show something that we've never seen before in Dallas.

*Discounting injuries (knock on wood)

-9fA
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Quote:

ya

This
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Smith's chance to win the job was against the Raiders but he less than dazzled. Good progress but not near enough.

At this point, i give Hill a 90% chance of starting and Smith 10% chance of starting* on opening day. This does mean that Smith has to show something that we've never seen before in Dallas.

-9fA

Totally fair assessment. I agree with everything you said.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Quote:

ya

This

The only way Smith has any shot is if he lights it up vs. the 1st stringers. I mean like 150 yards 2TD... and Hill has to continue as he is. Anything less and Hill retains the job.

If it wasnt still in the Air then why would Singletary hold back from announcing the starter.
This week smith took a few steps forward and next week he'll take a few steps back

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

As usual, good level headed post.
Just so you guys know...

Quote:

Quote:

If he shows that the raiders game was just a bad night and not a trend, I agree, but Smith played better than Hill, which doesn't say much when Hill played so terribly. If those three very catchable balls were not dropped by the receivers, Smith would have looked even better. Bottom line, these guys better get on the ball.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Aug 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM ]
IMO, Singletary might just start Smith just to see what he can do against the starting Dallas D. Again, this would be to evaluate his response to a big game situation which in all essence of the word is for both Smith and Hill.

If I was the coaching staff, I would want to develop a passing attack against their D for both QBs. We need to see them respond both of them.

You know, like a rookie.
Originally posted by ninertico:
IMO, Singletary might just start Smith just to see what he can do against the starting Dallas D. Again, this would be to evaluate his response to a big game situation which in all essence of the word is for both Smith and Hill.

If I was the coaching staff, I would want to develop a passing attack against their D for both QBs. We need to see them respond both of them.

You know, like a rookie.

Yeah so the question really is, who starts? I'm gonna guess that they'll play alternating series. If not then i would personally prefer to see Smith play to see how far he progresses.

-9fA
Horrible performance by both Hill and Smith. The difference is Smith is consistently playing like this and Hill had an off night (I hope!)

Our QB situation if it continues like this will lose us a lot of games.

Nate Davis hope is starting to begin, I hope Hill can take that away.
Share 49ersWebzone