LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
"...Smith is a factor..."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=41359

Interesting article. Looks like Hill isn't a runaway in the QB competition. Hill is going to have to learn how to practice better and Smith will have to learn how to look better in games.

Games matter more than practice.
Originally posted by Apples:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=41359

Interesting article. Looks like Hill isn't a runaway in the QB competition. Hill is going to have to learn how to practice better and Smith will have to learn how to look better in games.

True. So how else will Alex get to a game? I mean I don't get the logic. So he competes well during the "competition" and still not considered a factor, then is it a competition?

So Alex should just not compete? I'm confused.

Just because he's practicing doesn't mean it's a competition. The media will say it is, but it shouldn't be, Hill should clearly be the starter.

I don't think Alex should get a chance at starting until Hill loses the job himself.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
The competition doesn't start until preseason when they play against opposing D's.

True. So how else will Alex get to a game? I mean I don't get the logic. So he competes well during the "competition" and still not considered a factor, then is it a competition?

Just because he's practicing doesn't mean it's a competition. The media will say it is, but it shouldn't be, Hill should clearly be the starter.

I don't think Alex should get a chance at starting until Hill loses the job himself.

So Singletary is a liar. Hmmm. Well that's interesting. I think the players have a closer read on that than we do. I mean if he's trying to trick the players, he's doing a hell of a job at it no?

The media says it will be a competition? Actually that came from Singletary:

Quote:
Another aspect that's different? Singletary and new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, who are upfront with their quarterbacks, which was far different from the cloak-and-dagger style of Mike Martz, where the quarterbacks never knew where they stood.

"The attitude is far different," Smith said. "I don't know if I want to say it was more lax (last year) but coach Singletary tells you what he thinks and what he wants. He'll tell you to your face."

All from the same article .....

Where in that quote does he say there is a QB competition.

And yes, all coaches lie.
This shows why Shaun never got a shot before Hostler's ineptude killed all QBs in 07. He's awfull in practice.

Having a half season of starting behind him, having shown that X factor and clutchness and coming back after a bad game to win it (rams) , in my eyes he is still leading this competition.

I'm also gčad to hear that Smith is feeling healthy and plays that way, but really until the real contact drills and games begin we will not know the answer who is the starter at QB.
If Smith is capable of leading this offence the way Shaun has done it, he will end up beeing the starter. If he will be able to do that remains to be seen. Until then in my eyes Shaun is the starter.

This was about MINI-camp, May 2nd.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/02/SPNG17CVPG.DTL

All coaches lie? That remains to be proven - especially with Singletary. I'm sorry but you're going to need some evidence on that argument.

So Singletary is a liar. Hmmm. Well that's interesting. I think the players have a closer read on that than we do. I mean if he's trying to trick the players, he's doing a hell of a job at it no?

Quote:
Another aspect that's different? Singletary and new offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, who are upfront with their quarterbacks, which was far different from the cloak-and-dagger style of Mike Martz, where the quarterbacks never knew where they stood.

"The attitude is far different," Smith said. "I don't know if I want to say it was more lax (last year) but coach Singletary tells you what he thinks and what he wants. He'll tell you to your face."

At a so-called voluntary minicamp designed to see if their rookies know how to walk and chew gum at the same time, the 49ers also had a pair of experienced quarterbacks not contractually obligated to be there in attendance.

"When you're in a leadership position, it's important to be here," Shaun Hill said Friday on the first day of a weekend camp. "We were asked to come and we're here."

"We" includes Hill's friend and rival for the starting quarterback job, Alex Smith. Every time the two men step on the field, in Smith's words, "it's on. We're competing."

So it was on a damp afternoon as Hill and Smith pitched passes to various rookies and free agents in an attempt not to win friends but to influence the right people - namely, coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye.

"It matters every day," Singletary said. "I'm not leaving it to Jimmy and Mike (Johnson, quarterbacks coach). Every day we talk. I'm excited for Alex. I'm excited for Shaun. That competition will continue to go forward. As soon as we can, we do want to announce a starter."

Singletary seemed to be of a mind to settle on a starter before training camp begins in late July or possibly at the start of camp. The 49ers will hold a mandatory minicamp June 5-7 and have several organized team activities in May and June.

Whoever earns the job, Singletary said "it's that quarterback (who) when he steps in the huddle, magic happens."

Based on his 7-3 record as a starter, it would seem to be advantage, Hill. Smith, meanwhile, is continuing to rehabilitate his twice-repaired right shoulder that he initially hurt Sept. 30, 2007. He will have no restrictions in this minicamp.

"It's good. It's definitely better than where I was a month ago, and a month ago it was better than it was a month before that," Smith said. "The continuation of me lifting and throwing will get my arm in shape. Feeling good. Good news."

Both principals hope the competition does not continue throughout training camp, for themselves and for the betterment of the team.

"The longer you carry it on, the more disadvantageous it would be for either one of us and the team," Smith said. "The earlier the decision is made, the more reps he'll get with the (starters). I've got to get back in there and push. This counts, too."

And this was from MINI-camp, May 2nd.

Some coaches may lie but I you're going to have to prove that Singletary is lying to his players... and more importantly that the players don't believe him when he speaks.

You are wasting your time with this guy GM,he confuses himself.He already thinks we are gonna start 2-6,finish 7-9,that none of our current roster will improve and we will waste another draft like we did this year on players we don't need....but he likes Singletary and thinks the future is bright.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

All coaches lie? That remains to be proven - especially with Singletary. I'm sorry but you're going to need some evidence on that argument.

Quote:

At a so-called voluntary minicamp designed to see if their rookies know how to walk and chew gum at the same time, the 49ers also had a pair of experienced quarterbacks not contractually obligated to be there in attendance.

"When you're in a leadership position, it's important to be here," Shaun Hill said Friday on the first day of a weekend camp. "We were asked to come and we're here."

"We" includes Hill's friend and rival for the starting quarterback job, Alex Smith. Every time the two men step on the field, in Smith's words, "it's on. We're competing."

So it was on a damp afternoon as Hill and Smith pitched passes to various rookies and free agents in an attempt not to win friends but to influence the right people - namely, coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye.

"It matters every day," Singletary said. "I'm not leaving it to Jimmy and Mike (Johnson, quarterbacks coach). Every day we talk. I'm excited for Alex. I'm excited for Shaun. That competition will continue to go forward. As soon as we can, we do want to announce a starter."

Singletary seemed to be of a mind to settle on a starter before training camp begins in late July or possibly at the start of camp. The 49ers will hold a mandatory minicamp June 5-7 and have several organized team activities in May and June.

Whoever earns the job, Singletary said "it's that quarterback (who) when he steps in the huddle, magic happens."

Based on his 7-3 record as a starter, it would seem to be advantage, Hill. Smith, meanwhile, is continuing to rehabilitate his twice-repaired right shoulder that he initially hurt Sept. 30, 2007. He will have no restrictions in this minicamp.

"It's good. It's definitely better than where I was a month ago, and a month ago it was better than it was a month before that," Smith said. "The continuation of me lifting and throwing will get my arm in shape. Feeling good. Good news."

Both principals hope the competition does not continue throughout training camp, for themselves and for the betterment of the team.

"The longer you carry it on, the more disadvantageous it would be for either one of us and the team," Smith said. "The earlier the decision is made, the more reps he'll get with the (starters). I've got to get back in there and push. This counts, too."

Some coaches may lie but I you're going to have to prove that Singletary is lying to his players... and more importantly that the players don't believe him when he speaks.

You are wasting your time with this guy GM,he confuses himself.He already thinks we are gonna start 2-6,finish 7-9,that none of our current roster will improve and we will waste another draft like we did this year on players we don't need....but he likes Singletary and thinks the future is bright.

I agree, don't waste your time with this guy, he's crazy.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Quote:

Oh because I called out your oversimplification in another thread I'm crazy? Because I don't believe that one simple fix and we're a play-off team? Or I try not to say dumb things like "there's no QB competition" when it's something Singletary clearly has said in articles? My response to you is the same to everyone who engages is proofless, baseless chatter in Ninertalk -

I'm hopeful about the team but it has to be proven.

It's not confusing - well maybe for those of you who believe anything blindly.

Don't worry about that guy man, he doesn't even know what he's talking about.
what happened like 2 days ago it was clear Hill was ganna start now Smith is ganna whats going on
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im sick and tired or QB competitions.

just 1 more year to complete...then we can make a bid for worst QB situation of the decade.

I know I know, we might not win, but we'll be right in the running.

Until then, by all means, let those worthless QB's compete. Remeber those epic battles betweed Dorsey and Rattay....good times
ALEX IS TEARIN' IT UP!!!!!

GO ALEX
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WestCoast:

GO ALEX

yah in OTA's
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

GO ALEX