• Socal49erFan
  • Info N/A
Thank you.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
"An impressive 4 sacks in 5 years."

Cute. But, his job has never been to get sacks. His job has always been to occupy blockers. But, as a smart football fan, you know that so I'm not even sure what point you are making.

I would expect at least 1 or 2 garbage sacks a year from someone who is a starter and regularly plays DE. If that is a fair expectation, he is under performing in that area. That's all I'm saying.

This isn't a 4-3, the LDE in a 3-4 is more similar to a DT than a DE in a 4-3. Expecting 1 or 2 garbage sacks is an unfair expectation from a 3-4 LDE especially on a team that has trouble getting pressure on the QB.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Socal49erFan:
It is hard to determine 3/4 defensive lineman's contribution to the team by his individual stats. Compare the position to offensive line where your job is to create lanes for your running back/linebackers. I like Soap. I believe he is exactly what we need on our team and I see him being one of the dominant D-lineman in the league in 2009. Why? Madden that is why! j/k.

Soap (career NT except 08) vs Hampton (Steelers NT)

Games Started = 23 vs 106
Sacks = 4 vs 5.5
Passes Defensed = 6 vs 3
Games missed to injury = 1 in four seasons vs 15 in eight seasons
Most tackles in a season = 41 vs 42

In 08 Soap had 3 Stuffs on the RB and Hampton had 0.

It should also be noted that Soap only started 8 games prior to the 2008 season. Soap didnt start understanding his duties until the second half of the season when be became a starter. Even better Soap started playing football later on in life, as opposed to playing since pop warner like most players. He will come around.

The 49ers run defense tied for 8th in the league at 3.8 yards per carry average. Soap had something to do with that.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to pick holes in some of this. You base Soaps stats as a LDE against a NT and then go on to say it should not matter as he is supposed to stop the run. Well that's a half truth or spin as it goes. My counter to this would be below...

92 games
327 tackles
219 solo
19.5 sacks
8 defended passes
1 safety

Now Warren is elite there is no doubt about that and he is playing in one of the best teams to play the game but its still shows what can be achieved from the 3-4 LDE spot.

Soap might make it as NT but no-one around here can say he is producing the sort of game we would expect from a dominant lineman.
This dude gets trucked more than any Samoan I've ever seen. As big as he is, Soap is a weakling.
He sure is -- he's the strongest man on the team and perhaps even the league. He's one of 3 guys on the team who carry 200 lb. dumbbells in each hand. Nice post.
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:
Sopoaga cannot play the 3-4 Nose position...

and you can't write a post that makes sense. Sopoaga absolutely will be able to play the 3-4 NT position. He is faster off the ball than any of the other defensive lineman and stronger than almost anyone in the league. He was occupying a double team at DE much of the season and gets a good push on the offensive linemen. Plus, he plays with heart and goes all out on every play.

One thing most fans don't realize is that it often takes several years for defensive linemen (especially NT) to develop. It's one of the toughest positions to play and when you come in out of college, you're still a kid facing grown men with bad intentions who have been beating on kids like you for years. Take old Ted Washington. He was pretty much of a bust in the beginning and became very valuable as he got older. There is no substitute for experience and knowledge.

You didn't understand what I wrote?

My post is easily understood, I just didn't care to write a lengthy discussion about it. It has been a much discussed issue over the years and I don't care to repeat what has been already said.
  • kodiak49er
  • Info N/A
is crap
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Sopoaga has been a solid mainstay on our defense since hes gotten a chance, what's all the gripe about?? Solid but not spectacular, not every player on your team has to be a Pro Bowl player. Some times its key players like Sopoaga that make Pro Bowl players.
  • Socal49erFan
  • Info N/A
It is hard to determine 3/4 defensive lineman's contribution to the team by his individual stats. Compare the position to offensive line where your job is to create lanes for your running back/linebackers. I like Soap. I believe he is exactly what we need on our team and I see him being one of the dominant D-lineman in the league in 2009. Why? Madden that is why! j/k.

Sacks = 4 vs 5.5
Passes Defensed = 6 vs 3

It should also be noted that Soap only started 8 games prior to the 2008 season. Soap didnt start understanding his duties until the second half of the season when be became a starter. Even better Soap started playing football later on in life, as opposed to playing since pop warner like most players. He will come around.

The 49ers run defense tied for 8th in the league at 3.8 yards per carry average. Soap had something to do with that.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to pick holes in some of this. You base Soaps stats as a LDE against a NT and then go on to say it should not matter as he is supposed to stop the run. Well that's a half truth or spin as it goes. My counter to this would be below...

92 games
327 tackles
219 solo
19.5 sacks
8 defended passes
1 safety

Now Warren is elite there is no doubt about that and he is playing in one of the best teams to play the game but its still shows what can be achieved from the 3-4 LDE spot.

Soap might make it as NT but no-one around here can say he is producing the sort of game we would expect from a dominant lineman.

Well lets compare the two. Warren has been a starter at left end since 04 (his 2nd season) the year soap entered the league. Soap was a backup to Bryant Young up until 2007. Lets not forget that Ty Warren is surrounded by great players on defense and supported by Tom Brady and Co. It definitely helps your pass rush when you are playing with a lead. Their 2008 stats are almost identical, and this was Soaps first year as a full time DE.
Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD
Ty 32 9 2 3.5 1 1
Soap 27 14 1 3 0 0 1

Bye the way if we multiply Soaps starts by 3.5 we get 80 that is the number of times Ty Warren has started in the last six seasons.
Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD
Ty 219 108 19.5 20.5 4 6 6
Soap 250 111 14 35 4 0 21

Soap shows flashes of greatness and that is what people see, he just needs focus and I think our Dline coach is the real deal. Remember this is the first time the 49ers have had defensive continuity from a player and staff perspective in quite some time. We all know difference between a good teacher and a poor teacher. When I was studying for my securities license I had the choice of using Morgan Stanley's approved training program or one recommended by a friend. I chose my friends referrall and passed the exams with the highest score in my office. Some teachers are better than others. I think Tomulsa is the kind of guy to get the most of of Soap. By the way a negative play is a negative play, a sack or a stuff are the same to me. Also a pass deflection is considered a negative play.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by B650:
That's good, but he has said before he prefers end, so I'm mixed right now. We'll see. Personally, I think he's better at DT.

I don't care what position he plays on the D Line,as long as he's effective ALL YEAR

Him being effective is like Obama's stimulas plan working!!

Stupid and very weak comment coming from an obvious dummy.

Originally posted by Envy:

Sacks = 4 vs 5.5
Passes Defensed = 6 vs 3

92 games
327 tackles
219 solo
19.5 sacks
8 defended passes
1 safety

Originally posted by BrodieFan:
"An impressive 4 sacks in 5 years."

Cute. But, his job has never been to get sacks. His job has always been to occupy blockers. But, as a smart football fan, you know that so I'm not even sure what point you are making.

The best way to occupy blockers is to make a play and SOAP has not been much of a play maker. Fact is that he is getting paid way too much on potential than production and has been given ample opportunity to produce. The team can get what he produces for half of the price.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

Sacks = 4 vs 5.5
Passes Defensed = 6 vs 3

92 games
327 tackles
219 solo
19.5 sacks
8 defended passes
1 safety

Well lets compare the two. Warren has been a starter at left end since 04 (his 2nd season) the year soap entered the league. Soap was a backup to Bryant Young up until 2007. Lets not forget that Ty Warren is surrounded by great players on defense and supported by Tom Brady and Co. It definitely helps your pass rush when you are playing with a lead. Their 2008 stats are almost identical, and this was Soaps first year as a full time DE.
Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD
Ty 32 9 2 3.5 1 1
Soap 27 14 1 3 0 0 1

Bye the way if we multiply Soaps starts by 3.5 we get 80 that is the number of times Ty Warren has started in the last six seasons.
Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD
Ty 219 108 19.5 20.5 4 6 6
Soap 250 111 14 35 4 0 21

Soap shows flashes of greatness and that is what people see, he just needs focus and I think our Dline coach is the real deal. Remember this is the first time the 49ers have had defensive continuity from a player and staff perspective in quite some time. We all know difference between a good teacher and a poor teacher. When I was studying for my securities license I had the choice of using Morgan Stanley's approved training program or one recommended by a friend. I chose my friends referrall and passed the exams with the highest score in my office. Some teachers are better than others. I think Tomulsa is the kind of guy to get the most of of Soap. By the way a negative play is a negative play, a sack or a stuff are the same to me. Also a pass deflection is considered a negative play.

I'm not denying that Warren is elite and been playing more regular games than Soap. I'm just saying that he has performed a very valuable function in a pass rusher at the LDE position. Castillo got 1.5 sacks and a interception this past season too. Overall though he has made close to 15 sacks and a 115 solos tackles. You can get an effective pass rush from the 3-4 DE spot. Aaron Smith had 5.5 sacks last year and has close to 42 his entire career. As you spoke of Young I say that he got 6 sacks in his last season. If Soap shows flashes of greatness as you said then I would hope he begins to produce that. There are a lot of factors that go into sacking a QB which I do not deny but these players have been able to do it.

Bottom line I believe that Soap needs to do a lot more to justify his position on the team.
  • dwightski
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
The guy friggin sucks.

He's a solid NFL starter. Not great. Not bad. He's a nice piece to have.

He is solid. Too bad we paid him way more than what a solid player should get. I think they should keep him at end. He had his best season so far.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:
Sopoaga cannot play the 3-4 Nose position...

and you can't write a post that makes sense. Sopoaga absolutely will be able to play the 3-4 NT position. He is faster off the ball than any of the other defensive lineman and stronger than almost anyone in the league. He was occupying a double team at DE much of the season and gets a good push on the offensive linemen. Plus, he plays with heart and goes all out on every play.

One thing most fans don't realize is that it often takes several years for defensive linemen (especially NT) to develop. It's one of the toughest positions to play and when you come in out of college, you're still a kid facing grown men with bad intentions who have been beating on kids like you for years. Take old Ted Washington. He was pretty much of a bust in the beginning and became very valuable as he got older. There is no substitute for experience and knowledge.

You didn't understand what I wrote?

My post is easily understood, I just didn't care to write a lengthy discussion about it. It has been a much discussed issue over the years and I don't care to repeat what has been already said.

If you don't want to put thought into your posts because you "don't care to repeat what has been already said", you should either A) post a link or B) quit being a post whore.
Share 49ersWebzone