LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Isaac Sopoaga

Shop Find 49ers gear online
good 4 him
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
i agree with ATG. he doesn't suck and he isn't great, and seems like he most likely won't be ever be. but the sad thing is that he probably wouldn't start for any other team in the league, whether it be a 3-4 or 4-3.

And he is NOT starting for us either. He is the backup NT as we speak. Maybe he will beat out Franklin ? But when Nolan was canned and we started playing a different style of defense ,then Franklin started playing great in his new responsibility.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if Soap, like Franklin, will turn out to be a much better NT in the one gap system. I would love for him to become the unquestioned starter.

I think it would help. Heck, even Franklin did better when they switched the scheme.
Sopoaga cannot play the 3-4 Nose position...
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
In the previous Nolan iterations of the 2-gap defense, I'd agree, Sopoaga wasn't effective. However, I'd expect to see him make more plays in a simplified 1-gap like they played after Singletary took over. Look what it did for Franklin's game...he played much better after those changes. One of Singletary's strengths is to recognize player's abilities, and structure the offense or defense accordingly. I don't know that "Soap" will ever be the beast most of us thought he'd be, but I do think he'll be more effective in a 1-gap scheme.

The 1 Gap scheme fits him best. Let the OLine figure out how to deal with him, which is opposite of the 2 gap system which puts the onus on the DLine to figure out how to defend against what the Oline is doing against the D. Sing's approach on D is pretty obvious. The D dictates and the O reacts which is opposite to Nolan's hybrid, 2 Gap, bend but not break scheme which was designed on the principle to react not dictate. Soap has demonstrated from Jr. college to college and during his time in the NFL that he is best used when he doesn't have a lot on his plate. Which is why he has a better chance of succeeding now that he only has to worry about 1 gap.

This actually makes a lot of sense...... Thanks for the informative post......makes me feel that Soap may not be a lost cause...
Quote:
Sopoaga cannot play the 3-4 Nose position...

and you can't write a post that makes sense. Sopoaga absolutely will be able to play the 3-4 NT position. He is faster off the ball than any of the other defensive lineman and stronger than almost anyone in the league. He was occupying a double team at DE much of the season and gets a good push on the offensive linemen. Plus, he plays with heart and goes all out on every play.

One thing most fans don't realize is that it often takes several years for defensive linemen (especially NT) to develop. It's one of the toughest positions to play and when you come in out of college, you're still a kid facing grown men with bad intentions who have been beating on kids like you for years. Take old Ted Washington. He was pretty much of a bust in the beginning and became very valuable as he got older. There is no substitute for experience and knowledge.
The first half of the year we played NE, NYG, Phi, Ari and NO. The best teams in the second half were Dal, Mia, and Ari. So, it's hard to judge how much of an impact Singletary made versus quality of teams being less.

J Smith seemed to be in the O backfield almost every play, Soap occasionally made an appearance near the QB on passing downs. He was moved from the NT position because he doesn't like playing there. Will Singletary be able to motivate him? To be determined. NT needs explosiveness and being quick off the ball. Is Soap quick or fast? There is a difference.

The one gap did seem to make a difference but again, was that quality of teams played or real improvement?

I see Mac as being quicker and Smith being more tenacious, which was disappointing because I like Soap and still hope he develops late into the beast his athletic ability suggests.
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:
The guy friggin sucks.

No, the guy who posted this friggin sucks. Demetric Evans is getting praised as a great pickup. Well, he had 33 tackles last season. Sopoaga had 41. Soap also was instrumental in attracting double teams and allowing Justin Smith to roam freely. People who post stuff like that should have to square off with Soap face to face -- then when you're through picking yourself up hours later tell us that he sucks.

So your saying every 330 lb Dude is good? haha So I wouldn't mess with him in a bar that really has little to do with him being good on the field. I've been saying he was overrated since he came to the team. He may have a chance as a one gap NT but he even when he one gaps he can be a liability. He has no real push in the passing game and that won't ever change.

And who ever said he was getting Double teamed instead of J.Smith is out of there league go home watch at least one game then come back to the forum.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by B650:
That's good, but he has said before he prefers end, so I'm mixed right now. We'll see. Personally, I think he's better at DT.

I don't care what position he plays on the D Line,as long as he's effective ALL YEAR

Him being effective is like Obama's stimulas plan working!!

Dude I suggest you keep politics off of this board.

Yeah, only mention politics is you are kissing democrats and ragging on republicans.
  • PWillis4Prez
  • Info N/A
This freaking guy is freaking horrible. I dont give a crap what anyone says, noone is changing my mind.He freaking sucks period.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
In the previous Nolan iterations of the 2-gap defense, I'd agree, Sopoaga wasn't effective. However, I'd expect to see him make more plays in a simplified 1-gap like they played after Singletary took over. Look what it did for Franklin's game...he played much better after those changes. One of Singletary's strengths is to recognize player's abilities, and structure the offense or defense accordingly. I don't know that "Soap" will ever be the beast most of us thought he'd be, but I do think he'll be more effective in a 1-gap scheme.

The 1 Gap scheme fits him best. Let the OLine figure out how to deal with him, which is opposite of the 2 gap system which puts the onus on the DLine to figure out how to defend against what the Oline is doing against the D. Sing's approach on D is pretty obvious. The D dictates and the O reacts which is opposite to Nolan's hybrid, 2 Gap, bend but not break scheme which was designed on the principle to react not dictate. Soap has demonstrated from Jr. college to college and during his time in the NFL that he is best used when he doesn't have a lot on his plate. Which is why he has a better chance of succeeding now that he only has to worry about 1 gap.

That is true. He is better suited to play in a one gap scheme just like Ray Mcdonald. The both aren't than good when trying to play in a 2 gap but they are better playing in a one gap and penetrating more.

Correct. These simple changes are what I am basing most of my enthusiasm on Sing being the HC. He makes these changes so much easier. He simply looks at the situation and says to himself "Does this work?" If no, then he simply changes it. He doesn't seem to hold onto scheme like its part of his identity. Looking forward to the season.

Originally posted by PWillis4Prez:
This freaking guy is freaking horrible. I dont give a crap what anyone says, noone is changing my mind.He freaking sucks period.

I think a lot of people are looking for reasons why you think he "sucks period."
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
The guy friggin sucks.

so true, so true. they always talk about how strong he is, and how athletic, but how many sacks does he get? and how many times does he add pressure on the qb? unless he feels the wrath of singletary. i guess this move means no signing of a NT this year.

LDE in the 3-4 isn't a position that amasses sacks and pressures. You've completely lost credibility with this post.
  • Socal49erFan
  • Info N/A
It is hard to determine 3/4 defensive lineman's contribution to the team by his individual stats. Compare the position to offensive line where your job is to create lanes for your running back/linebackers. I like Soap. I believe he is exactly what we need on our team and I see him being one of the dominant D-lineman in the league in 2009. Why? Madden that is why! j/k.

Soap (career NT except 08) vs Hampton (Steelers NT)

Games Started = 23 vs 106
Sacks = 4 vs 5.5
Passes Defensed = 6 vs 3
Games missed to injury = 1 in four seasons vs 15 in eight seasons
Most tackles in a season = 41 vs 42

In 08 Soap had 3 Stuffs on the RB and Hampton had 0.

It should also be noted that Soap only started 8 games prior to the 2008 season. Soap didnt start understanding his duties until the second half of the season when be became a starter. Even better Soap started playing football later on in life, as opposed to playing since pop warner like most players. He will come around.

The 49ers run defense tied for 8th in the league at 3.8 yards per carry average. Soap had something to do with that.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
"An impressive 4 sacks in 5 years."

Cute. But, his job has never been to get sacks. His job has always been to occupy blockers. But, as a smart football fan, you know that so I'm not even sure what point you are making.

I would expect at least 1 or 2 garbage sacks a year from someone who is a starter and regularly plays DE. If that is a fair expectation, he is under performing in that area. That's all I'm saying.
Originally posted by Socal49erFan:
It is hard to determine 3/4 defensive lineman's contribution to the team by his individual stats. Compare the position to offensive line where your job is to create lanes for your running back/linebackers. I like Soap. I believe he is exactly what we need on our team and I see him being one of the dominant D-lineman in the league in 2009. Why? Madden that is why! j/k.

Soap (career NT except 08) vs Hampton (Steelers NT)

Games Started = 23 vs 106
Sacks = 4 vs 5.5
Passes Defensed = 6 vs 3
Games missed to injury = 1 in four seasons vs 15 in eight seasons
Most tackles in a season = 41 vs 42

In 08 Soap had 3 Stuffs on the RB and Hampton had 0.

It should also be noted that Soap only started 8 games prior to the 2008 season. Soap didnt start understanding his duties until the second half of the season when be became a starter. Even better Soap started playing football later on in life, as opposed to playing since pop warner like most players. He will come around.

The 49ers run defense tied for 8th in the league at 3.8 yards per carry average. Soap had something to do with that.

Good post, dude!

Share 49ersWebzone