Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BamBam49er:
really wanted to see what joe cohen could've done for us

i KNOW, WHERE IS HE ?
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by BamBam49er:
really wanted to see what joe cohen could've done for us

i KNOW, WHERE IS HE ?

Lets see.....what could Cohen do for us...... Well lets see, he was really good at keeping the bench warm.
I think he is still looking for work since we cut him
Just to add more fuel to the argument. Soap's 2008 tackle stats according to NFL stats were better than:
Luis Castillo
Igor Olshansky
Terdell Sands
Laroi Glover
Marcus Spears, also same # of sacks
Marques Douglas
Chris Canty
Andre Carter
Travis Laboy
Tommie Harris and finally John Abraham
While I agree with Pasodocs arguments I did find this interesting.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Born49R:
Just to add more fuel to the argument. Soap's 2008 tackle stats according to NFL stats were better than:
Luis Castillo
Igor Olshansky
Terdell Sands
Laroi Glover
Marques Douglas
Chris Canty
Andre Carter
Travis Laboy

I'm curious, but which parts did you agree with, if your going to post stats like the one you did??
Kolohe:
Just for me, since I am a visual person could you splice a you tube listing of Soaps plays, 3-6 positive and 3-6 negative? Then we could hopefully "see" what you are trying to say.

I thought some of the statistics of Soap having better numbers than Olshansky was interesting since he was one that a lot of people thought would improve our line.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Kolohe:
Just for me, since I am a visual person could you splice a you tube listing of Soaps plays, 3-6 positive and 3-6 negative? Then we could hopefully "see" what you are trying to say.

I thought some of the statistics of Soap having better numbers than Olshansky was interesting since he was one that a lot of people thought would improve our line.

No, not because I don't want to, is because every time I try to post something on Youtube, I keep running into errors. For instance every time I try to download my DVD's onto my computer than transfer them to Youtube, it always says error can't read the file.

I'd rather you just send me some blank DVD's and I'll copy and mail the games back to you. I'd love for someone to show me how to make a highlight video, I'd be happy to make a Sopoaga one.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Luis Castillo
Igor Olshansky
Terdell Sands
Laroi Glover
Marques Douglas
Chris Canty
Andre Carter
Travis Laboy

I'm curious, but which parts did you agree with, if your going to post stats like the one you did??

That was my point, that even though I agree with Pasodoc I still thought it interesting that Soap's stats exceeded those names that most zoners would be familiar with. While I think of Soap as a servicable but not great defensive lineman I was surprised by the stats so therefore I figured in the interest of fairness I would add it as food for thought. I personally don't care if we even were to add Soap's mother to the roster, if she could play the nose.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Luis Castillo
Igor Olshansky
Terdell Sands
Laroi Glover
Marques Douglas
Chris Canty
Andre Carter
Travis Laboy

That was my point, that even though I agree with Pasodoc I still thought it interesting that Soap's stats exceeded those names that most zoners would be familiar with. While I think of Soap as a servicable but not great defensive lineman I was surprised by the stats so therefore I figured in the interest of fairness I would add it as food for thought. I personally don't care if we even were to add Soap's mother to the roster, if she could play the nose.

You know, the whole time I was debating with pasodoc, that's all I was trying to say.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Kolohe:

No, not because I don't want to, is because every time I try to post something on Youtube, I keep running into errors. For instance every time I try to download my DVD's onto my computer than transfer them to Youtube, it always says error can't read the file.

I'd rather you just send me some blank DVD's and I'll copy and mail the games back to you. I'd love for someone to show me how to make a highlight video, I'd be happy to make a Sopoaga one.

I would love that. If you can PM your address I will get some out to you. Also have you ever tried replay cutter at NFL.COM
http://replay-re-cutter.nfl.com/

It allows you to cut and splice to make up a little collection of replays on NFL.com.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
okay, kolo, you see a bright light when you see soap, and i see a guy who is strong, athletic, but somehow just doesn't seem to grasp the "it" in being a NT or DE, or whatever his status will be this yr. 5yrs? And this is what we got? Yes, i admit to being spoiled, watching all the glory yrs games and getting to go to joe robbie against cincy, and against marino at stanford. But even without that, if a guy is starting, i just flat out expect more out of him than we get from soap(look, as i said, he has lots of company, so this isn't a witch hunt). You review tapes and see a guy you obviously like. i review them and see a guy who is going thru the motions, but in the end, not getting it done.

Rather than dispute each and every point i made that you challenged, i will leave it here. We simply see the same tape and end up "seeing" different things. The only thing i will counter with is, if soap is as good as you say, how come we STILL have no passrush? Maybe you see him out there as the only guy playing at a superior level, but if so, one of the two of us needs glasses. IF he were playing so superbly, i would expect our passrush and PassD to be just splendid, which it obviously isn't. I don't have a "mad on" for soap---he seems like a nice young man. But anchoring our line at DE or NT, or DL(where i think he really belongs), no way. Our passrush speaks for itself...just not very loudly. Okay, it's a whisper.

As i said, this wasn't only about soap. It is more about the guys who make up the futility we have to watch game after game, yr in and yr out. Cripes we have one of the best LBs to come along in a decade, and even with p-52 we can't stop the pass, because we have no passD, and that is due to NO passrush. If soap isn't part of that problem, then you are right...i am all wet. But i submit it has been yrs since a passrush, a real one, and soap, like it or not, is a part of that.

Again, i reiterate: nobody would love to see soap have an all pro yr more than I. Realistically, that seems to be a forlorn hope. So it is either coaching, which has been so far below par it is embarrassing, or it is in talent evaluation and selection, which has given us 9 starters on D, which all are excellent backups. Starters...and i include soap in this group....nah.

Oh, and sorry Kohlone, this is the part I was referring to.

• PWillis4Prez
  • Info N/A
This guy is boo boo. Do not tell him i said that though.
Oooookay, so if I understand the last couple of pages of this discussion, Sopoaga has more tackles than a large handful of players many think are better than Sopoaga. Why am I not surprised?
The 3/4 is not my cup of tea so perhaps this skews my view of players. Watching Soap last year he would stand up the OLineman and then slow dance with him while the play continued. The aggressiveness necessary to excel was seldom there. Statistics do not change this, they just add an interesting facet.

If Singletary or Harris can light a fire under him, great! But players do not often bloom in their sixth year. The 9ers need high motor guys who do not quit until the whistle.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM ]
I just think he's too short to play in a 2-Gap 3-4. He began performing better when they went to a 1-gap. Why can't he play well in a 2-gap? He's too short. You must be able to stand up the offensive linemen and reach out to either gap to make the tackle on the running back. He can only reach so far.
Quote:
I just think he's too short to play in a 2-Gap 3-4. He began performing better when they went to a 1-gap. Why can't he play well in a 2-gap? He's too short. You must be able to stand up the offensive linemen and reach out to either gap to make the tackle on the running back. He can only reach so far.

I've read some clueless posts recently but this may take the cake. Most DT's are 6-2 - 6-4. Sopoaga is 6-2 and has LONG ARMS. He can easily dunk a basketball, is the fastest off the ball and the strongest man on the team. Next bogus reason. . .
Share 49ersWebzone