There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

how optimistic are you for 09 season

how optimistic are you for 09 season

playoffs you got to be kidding --sea will be back with a healthy qb and tj last yr a no name rookie torched are asses.

the rams front 4 will be better.

wash is stronger----giants---atl---mn
  • B650
  • Veteran
Ask me after the draft.
All I'm seeing here are a bunch of people who have almost no faith in our team. That's pretty sad...

To say we're going to be one of the worst teams in the league next year doesn't make any sense. We would've been at least 9-7 or 10-6 if it wasn't for JTO fumblitis flopping a bunch of those games.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's just sad to see a lot of you losing hope and bashing our team before the new season even begins.

I still have faith, that's why we're fans right? For those of you who are already predicting failure, you might as well not watch any of the games next season. Why do we turn on the TV or even go to any 49er games if you're already assuming we're going to lose? tsk tsk.
9-7 or 10-6.
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by tidissis08:
We are going to suck for sure. We are looking at a guaranteed top 10 pick in 2010 and maybe even a top 5 pick.

A 2010 top 5 pick is real possible.

Yeah but we can also win.The things is that I really think that our defense next season will be stronger. But im really worried about the offense.

The offense will be one of the worst in the league no doubt.

~ No QB.
~ No RT.
~ No WR's.
~ A TE who can't catch.
~ A RB with injury history and if he goes down it's over.
~ No Offensive Coordinator either.

The defense is very overrated on this Webzone IMO.

~ No pass rush.
~ No coverage at Safety.
~ Defensive line is very suspect.
~ OLB's underachieve.

Patrick Willis is the best thing we have followed by Nate Clements and Walt Harris. But IMO this is not a very good defense overall. I've seen good NFL defenses. This is not one of them.

I agree with most of what you wrote. Except:

1. I'm not putting our failure on offense on the RT. There are players on the roster who given the opportunity can plug the gap adequately. Among Staley, Baas, Heitman, Wragge, Rachal, Snyder, we have enough right now to do the job. I think every team has weakness on its OL - no team has all probowlers. Their advantage over us is coaching.

2. I disagree that our OLB are underachieving. What does underachieving mean? You mean that you magically looking from afar can assess what the true POTENTIAL ( that word again) of our LBs is? I don't think so. What you see is what's out there. Once again coaching has a lot to do with our performance on defense.

I see it this way:

3. Offensive success depends a mostly on discipline. So coaching is VERY important. The ability to scheme and play to your strengths while exploiting the other teams weaknesses is everything. We haven't been able to do that these past 4 years: We have been bad at evaluating our players, coaching up their strengths and developing winning strategies. Have we improved in this department. NO. Actually IMO we have got measurably worse. Our front office cannot bring in the right players (bad talent evaluation) and our coaching is OBVIOUSLY worse. The HC is totally out of his depth here. And we don't have a sparkplug player - someone who can ignite and instill confidence and some swagger. Actually, the closest thing we had to that was SHill . . . when he came in the team noticeably picked up. But Hill gets no respect, because he's been a journeyman his whole career and we have no real future if his your leader. (Let's not bring up Gore - good RB, not a motivator/leader).

4. Defense: Now that's almost the opposite of Offense. Defense plays on EMOTION primarily. Sure discipline is important but emotion is the catalyst to successful defenses. Here again we do not have that sparkplug who's the obvious motivator. Willis is our best player, but he is not the Ray Lewis type. We need ONE who will bring it out in others, but we have no-one. The front office keeps bringing in flat personality, mediocre players. If we had even that ONE player, it would elevate the play of everyone. McC is a brain dead personality. He cannot motivate a high energy FA to come here even if he could identify the guy (and he cannot). So we have to find the guy through the draft and we haven't been able to do it yet.

5. We need motivators ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. Players who have "been there - done that." People keep talking up Singletary's as a MOTIVATOR. Like that's going to turn around everything . Well motivation from coaches only goes so far when you've heard it over and over again without any substance to back it up. And that's MS to a tee; all sound and fury, signifying nothing . . . he is basically hot air with NO real coaching and personnel experience. His rants are essentially WTF moments and will not substitute for poor coaching. It also begs the question: He has been here since Nolan started, primarlity to MOTIVATE the team. Nolan did not look to him to coach AT ALL. So exactly how had he done with motivating the team? But now he's going to miraculously turn it on!?

Nothing has changed from the Nolan days. In reality things have got worse. The people running the show are the same: Same guys - except more brain dead.
So how optimistic can one be? Unless you're a blind homer, and they're bunch of them out there, one cannot be too optimistic.

[ Edited by NinerNZ on Mar 6, 2009 at 06:43:14 ]
We are going to suck for sure. We are looking at a guaranteed top 10 pick in 2010 and maybe even a top 5 pick.

Go be a Charges fan then

I see a decent season. Our schedule is not super hard. All the teams in the West are going through coaching changes or major roster changers. That plays in our favor
I feel like we are in one of the toughest divisions in the league stating next year. Cards will still be tough. Seatlle will be healthy and now have Housyourmama. remember Saettle ruled our Division for awhile and were really depleted by injuries last year. All of their WR and their starting QB was out. If they get a good rookie RB this year they will be tough to stop. I think we will be third in our Divison ahead of St. Lois. Looking at our schedule we should have 10 wins though.
Originally posted by NinerNZ:

A 2010 top 5 pick is real possible.

Yeah but we can also win.The things is that I really think that our defense next season will be stronger. But im really worried about the offense.

The offense will be one of the worst in the league no doubt.

~ No QB.
~ No RT.
~ No WR's.
~ A TE who can't catch.
~ A RB with injury history and if he goes down it's over.
~ No Offensive Coordinator either.

The defense is very overrated on this Webzone IMO.

~ No pass rush.
~ No coverage at Safety.
~ Defensive line is very suspect.
~ OLB's underachieve.

Patrick Willis is the best thing we have followed by Nate Clements and Walt Harris. But IMO this is not a very good defense overall. I've seen good NFL defenses. This is not one of them.

I guess some people feel better when they rag on there own team but you are wrong.

Our QB is 7 and 3 as a starter
A RT will be drafted and there is good depth
2 Very young wide receivers ready to break out
The fastest best blocking TE in the league who will get more screens called his way
A RB who has missed only 3 starts in his career while rushing for 3800 yards in the past 3 seasons
And the last time I checked we have an OC

I dont see how you think the D is overrated either they are perfectly rated on the zone and everywhere else they finished 13th overall in 08 and look to improve in 09
With the guys we have on the roster today, I feel a 9-7 or 10-6 isn't out of the question. Coach Sing is going to push these guys farther than they have ever gone before and is changing the culture on the team. Roman is getting sent to the bench, Lawson will be 100% and I think is poised to break out in 2009 like we were hoping in 2007. If you watch the last 3 games Lawson was great. Haralson is coming into his own and I think is good for another 8-10 sacks next year.

Its hard to guess what the offense will do because once again It will look different. I think Frank is good for 1200 yards and probably 8 TD's, Josh Morgan Looks to be the number one while Hill and now Brando Jones will make up 2-3 WR sets (assuming bruce retires). Being that we wont have an offense with 4 and 5 wide I would guess that we only bring 5 WR to a game and bring an additional RB.

With the roster as it stands today, im confident in a 9-7 season, playoffs 50-50. I don't know why but I get the funny feeling that Alex will the be the starter by Week1. It also looks like Jonas Jennings will be the starter if he is back next year, when he is healthy he is a beast, but that's only a few games a season.
Quote:
i dont feel optimistic about this season, i think our offense is going to be jim hoslerish and very slow, we still got manusky so we will probably run a baskin robin vanilla style defense,, hopefully i am completely wrong

Don't worry -- YOU ARE. This forum becomes more and more intellectually challenged.
I must be optimistic or nuts as I just gave the 49ers $4500 dollars today!!
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Playoffs. 10-6. Smith as the starter.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Playoffs, but not the NFC Championship.
If Davis, Smith, Lawson, Goldson, Gore, and Rachal ALL play to there full potential and can stay healthy.. the 49ers will be the surprise team that not only makes the playoffs, but wins the division with over 10 wins
Originally posted by B650:
Ask me after the draft.

Yes.... If we get a OT or a FS in the Draft maybe. If not, this maybe a long year, Damn! I wish coach Sing did not have so much NoWinlan experince. Firing Martz was a HUGE mistake.