LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Can this cycle continue...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Getrdun9ers:
I honestly don't know why for the most part it's only Niners fans that think that Alex Smith is garbage. I talk to so many people over here in Iraq, and back in Japan and everyone thinks that Alex Smith is actually a good QB, he just has been injured the last almost 2 full seasons, and his first season was... well, it was just that. His first season. Everyone over here agrees if he's given a chance to learn one offense, not 5 in 5 seasons he could end up being a good QB. This comes from New England, Dallas, Arizona... and many other fans. It's only our fans that hate him with a passion and think he's worthless.

I'm not saying that I won't support whoever our QB is. As much as I hate to say it, I even supported Dilfer when he was playing, just because he was the one starting. And I'm still hoping Alex pulls through. If he doesn't do good here I hope he leaves here with his head high goes to a GOOD team and gets himself to the Super Bowl and makes all you people that hate him think... damn. I wish we would've kept him.

Take Tom Brady for example. He was skipped over 199 times in the draft. Nobody thought he would end up being any good. Look what happened. Put in the right system, with the right TEAM, and QB can be good, or even great.

Another person we could look at on that level would be Steve Bono, and Jim Drunkenmiller. Neither of them were supposed to be good QB's, but they grew up sitting on the Niners sideline learning the game. When they had to come in to the game finally they were VERY capable of winning. Not because they were great, but the team around them was great.

An opposite example of them would be Ryan Leaf. Supposed to be a GREAT QB.... the next so called Joe Montana. Put on a crappy San Diego team at the time, and didn't do crap.

My point is the Niners of the 80's and early to mid 90's could've done great with any QB simply because of the team around them. QB's don't make a great team, great teams make great QB's. That's the best part about football. It's the only sport you can HONESTLY say is a TEAM sport. Baseball isn't. One person can win a baseball game on his own. Basketball isn't. Take the Lakers for example with that one. Hear me out with this one. It's more like Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. Without Kobe, that team would be garbage. That's right... I said it. Anyways... who cares. I just want the Niners to be great again.

GO NINERS!!!!

Jim Drukenmiller was NEVER anything but garbage for the Niners. Dude, really? Drukenmiller was a 1st round BUST when we should have taken Plummer. Damn Clark for not listening to Bill.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
I said that despite not getting a fair shot he still hasn't shown me anything. I'm going to pretend you didn't mention Steve Young in comparison with Alex Smith.

Right, you cant compare them. Steve Young brought his tools with him, Alex Smith did not. Some of these tools are leadership, passion, presence, competitiveness, and mechanics. Things that cant be taught. A generation has gone by since Steve was here, and some of the newer niner fans dont know what its like to have a franchise QB. Right now, we really have none, but we have the best option starting.
[ Edited by TheCatch on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:20 AM ]
I too hope this can happen. However I would like to get another 5 Super Bowl wins in that time too. Or more would be okay.

GO NINERS!!!!

Definately more!
The cycle was in fact formed through quarterbacks such as Steve Young and Joe Montana...not sure we have that with Shaun Hill and Alex Smith...but hey it's close right
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
So hill is our Montana? Wow. Gotta love Niner talk.

no shaun is deberg, alex is plunkett, nate davis is montana, and thats all i have to say about that.

That smells of sarcasm there, but I've seen Davis play his entire college career, and while I don't think any QB will be the next Montana, Nate could be the next franchise QB. I've seen folks in webzone say he won't amount to much because of this or that. But I've not seen any legitimate reasons for those. They've said he can't take a snap under center because he was in shotgun all the time in college. He took plenty of snaps under center in college, and did fine with that against the Raiders. They've said with the gloves and not using the laces he won't be able to throw well, and won't have a good spiral. He had the tightest spiral of all the QBs on both teams that game. And threw the ball with command and showed his arm strength. He evaded the blitz very well and made good decisions on when to throw to a receiver and when to throw it away when he was under pressure. It's still early, and he still has a lot to learn. But he's better than people give him credit for.

Coincidence that we're at the end of this 5 year cycle and Nate Davis is learning on the sidelines...waiting for his opportunity?
Sorry, but I don't believe in football cycles. It's a whole new regime with a whole new set of possibilities. Hopefully the 9ers have turned the corner, but I still think next year is a much better possibility than this year.
Wow I love it lol sounds like a great tale
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ayerman:
who's next to lead the niners to the playoffs?

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

He is the reason we've been "lost" for 5 years. Its going to be the QB we draft this year. Oh, and I've already diverged, but nice blog BTW.
[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:42 AM ]
guys when I wrote this I was hoping for Sanchez to be drafted....and later I hoped we would trade for Cutler.

But without us seriously addressing the QB spot it looks like my little theory is not going to work out. Fact is, we are in a much worst situation now then we were in the 70's

BTW the cycle I was trying to convey went like this

Tittle = Montana
Brodie = Young
Spurrier = Garcia
Plunkett = Smith

So if you notice, after Plunkett came Montana....that was the cycle I was hoping would repeat.

Funny that someone scrounged this up....yeah I can only imagine what kind of evening that zoner was having
Originally posted by danimal:
by 1973, the 49ers Franchise QB John Brodie; had come to the end of his career. 49er fans who had become spoiled with back to back Franchise QB's in YA Tittle and John Brodie were unafraid. Clearly Steve Spurrier would become yet there new 10+ year signal caller. Not quite. Mercifully the football gods gave the Niner fans a small dose of what other franchises deal with almost constantly. Then came the zoo and for 5 years the 49ers were lost, a team without a leader, a team destined to lose.

Then came Joe. and then Steve. Once again the 49ers knew not of life without a franchise QB for 20 years. And again, mercifully we were given Jeff Garcia who would be the calm before the storm, just as spurrier did a quarter century ago.

It has been 5 years of being lost. Just like the faithful of 1974-1979, we are the true fans of 2004-2009. Twice now the cycle of spoiled, weened to devastated has occured. One can only hope for the 3rd cycle to begin anew.

Nice prose, I like your style!

Do you think the next great 9er QB is on the roster, or are we going to draft him next season.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
by 1973, the 49ers Franchise QB John Brodie; had come to the end of his career. 49er fans who had become spoiled with back to back Franchise QB's in YA Tittle and John Brodie were unafraid. Clearly Steve Spurrier would become yet there new 10+ year signal caller. Not quite. Mercifully the football gods gave the Niner fans a small dose of what other franchises deal with almost constantly. Then came the zoo and for 5 years the 49ers were lost, a team without a leader, a team destined to lose.

Then came Joe. and then Steve. Once again the 49ers knew not of life without a franchise QB for 20 years. And again, mercifully we were given Jeff Garcia who would be the calm before the storm, just as spurrier did a quarter century ago.

It has been 5 years of being lost. Just like the faithful of 1974-1979, we are the true fans of 2004-2009. Twice now the cycle of spoiled, weened to devastated has occured. One can only hope for the 3rd cycle to begin anew.

Do you think the next great 9er QB is on the roster, or are we going to draft him next season.

read the post right above yours. He clearly stated that when he posted this topic he was thinking the 49ers would go after Sanchez.

Why don't people read before they post

thanks brother.

But no I think the connection is now officially lost. I was looking for a new name to be the starter right now, not Hill or Alex.

No matter what happens now, we are already in a much longer drought then in the 70's...so I think the comparison is now officially over. Which sucks, because it was comfortable to know that this franchise had been through this before.

Now I am no Old Timer quite yet. But I wonder if we are smack dab in the middle of the worst era in 49er history?
I honestly don't know why for the most part it's only Niners fans that think that Alex Smith is garbage. I talk to so many people over here in Iraq, and back in Japan and everyone thinks that Alex Smith is actually a good QB, he just has been injured the last almost 2 full seasons, and his first season was... well, it was just that. His first season. Everyone over here agrees if he's given a chance to learn one offense, not 5 in 5 seasons he could end up being a good QB. This comes from New England, Dallas, Arizona... and many other fans. It's only our fans that hate him with a passion and think he's worthless.

I'm not saying that I won't support whoever our QB is. As much as I hate to say it, I even supported Dilfer when he was playing, just because he was the one starting. And I'm still hoping Alex pulls through. If he doesn't do good here I hope he leaves here with his head high goes to a GOOD team and gets himself to the Super Bowl and makes all you people that hate him think... damn. I wish we would've kept him.

Take Tom Brady for example. He was skipped over 199 times in the draft. Nobody thought he would end up being any good. Look what happened. Put in the right system, with the right TEAM, and QB can be good, or even great.

Another person we could look at on that level would be Steve Bono, and Jim Drunkenmiller. Neither of them were supposed to be good QB's, but they grew up sitting on the Niners sideline learning the game. When they had to come in to the game finally they were VERY capable of winning. Not because they were great, but the team around them was great.

An opposite example of them would be Ryan Leaf. Supposed to be a GREAT QB.... the next so called Joe Montana. Put on a crappy San Diego team at the time, and didn't do crap.

My point is the Niners of the 80's and early to mid 90's could've done great with any QB simply because of the team around them. QB's don't make a great team, great teams make great QB's. That's the best part about football. It's the only sport you can HONESTLY say is a TEAM sport. Baseball isn't. One person can win a baseball game on his own. Basketball isn't. Take the Lakers for example with that one. Hear me out with this one. It's more like Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. Without Kobe, that team would be garbage. That's right... I said it. Anyways... who cares. I just want the Niners to be great again.

GO NINERS!!!!

That's where you went wrong; asking Sunnis, Shiites and the Japanese about Niner Football.

J/K
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ayerman:
who's next to lead the niners to the playoffs?

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

i think alex was spurrier

No No Garcia was Spurrier. Spurrier and Garcia were the QB's who had to attempt to followup back to back great franchise QB's. While neither played great enough to fill the shoes of their predecessors...both played well enough for the Niners keep a sliver of dignity and somewhat a competitive force.

Alex Smith, thus far compares more to Jim Plunkett of that time.

Keep this thread on track people. Whomever you believe is our next franchise QB...all the thread is about is that the timing may suggest we are on the precipice of our next 20 year run led by 2 awesome QB's.

Technically the first of these two could still be Alex.

Personally I am a big Sanchez supporter and think he is going to be an NFL great. I will be disappointed if we don't draft him.

Who is Sanchez?
Originally posted by backontop:

read the post right above yours. He clearly stated that when he posted this topic he was thinking the 49ers would go after Sanchez.

Why don't people read before they post

I read the post, we did not draft Sanchez or am I mistaken? If we did I can't wait to see him play!

If we some how have failed to draft Sanchez, I was asking the original poster, after I of course complemented him or her on their writing style, if the author felt that Davis of Smith had a chance to be the next great QB of will we be drafting him soon! You see I felt that since the author wrote well that they might be smart and then I would therefore value their opinion!

By the way your opinion matter not to me.
Share 49ersWebzone