There are 252 users in the forums

Can this cycle continue...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
by 1973, the 49ers Franchise QB John Brodie; had come to the end of his career. 49er fans who had become spoiled with back to back Franchise QB's in YA Tittle and John Brodie were unafraid. Clearly Steve Spurrier would become yet there new 10+ year signal caller. Not quite. Mercifully the football gods gave the Niner fans a small dose of what other franchises deal with almost constantly. Then came the zoo and for 5 years the 49ers were lost, a team without a leader, a team destined to lose.

Then came Joe. and then Steve. Once again the 49ers knew not of life without a franchise QB for 20 years. And again, mercifully we were given Jeff Garcia who would be the calm before the storm, just as spurrier did a quarter century ago.

It has been 5 years of being lost. Just like the faithful of 1974-1979, we are the true fans of 2004-2009. Twice now the cycle of spoiled, weened to devastated has occured. One can only hope for the 3rd cycle to begin anew.
spooky... i hope you right
Profound. Do locusts preview the arrival of the next mystical QB?
who's next to lead the niners to the playoffs?
  • GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
WOW!!! You're good!

PD
I too hope this can happen. However I would like to get another 5 Super Bowl wins in that time too. Or more would be okay.

GO NINERS!!!!
I sure hope so, but this time it will start off with the older QB (Hill) and lead to a HOF draft prospect which should come along any time... (09' or 10')
Originally posted by ayerman:

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Feb 21, 2009 at 20:46:14 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

i think alex was spurrier
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

Oh geez it was a joke. You Hill guys need to lighten up.

~Ceadder

Maybe we will win without amazing QB play...It sounds like that is the hope....
  • Imfasterrthanurr
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

Oh geez it was a joke. You Hill guys need to lighten up.

~Ceadder

haha. You called him a "Hill guy". The civil wars of 49erwebzone at its finest
I honestly don't know why for the most part it's only Niners fans that think that Alex Smith is garbage. I talk to so many people over here in Iraq, and back in Japan and everyone thinks that Alex Smith is actually a good QB, he just has been injured the last almost 2 full seasons, and his first season was... well, it was just that. His first season. Everyone over here agrees if he's given a chance to learn one offense, not 5 in 5 seasons he could end up being a good QB. This comes from New England, Dallas, Arizona... and many other fans. It's only our fans that hate him with a passion and think he's worthless.

I'm not saying that I won't support whoever our QB is. As much as I hate to say it, I even supported Dilfer when he was playing, just because he was the one starting. And I'm still hoping Alex pulls through. If he doesn't do good here I hope he leaves here with his head high goes to a GOOD team and gets himself to the Super Bowl and makes all you people that hate him think... damn. I wish we would've kept him.

Take Tom Brady for example. He was skipped over 199 times in the draft. Nobody thought he would end up being any good. Look what happened. Put in the right system, with the right TEAM, and QB can be good, or even great.

Another person we could look at on that level would be Steve Bono, and Jim Drunkenmiller. Neither of them were supposed to be good QB's, but they grew up sitting on the Niners sideline learning the game. When they had to come in to the game finally they were VERY capable of winning. Not because they were great, but the team around them was great.

An opposite example of them would be Ryan Leaf. Supposed to be a GREAT QB.... the next so called Joe Montana. Put on a crappy San Diego team at the time, and didn't do crap.

My point is the Niners of the 80's and early to mid 90's could've done great with any QB simply because of the team around them. QB's don't make a great team, great teams make great QB's. That's the best part about football. It's the only sport you can HONESTLY say is a TEAM sport. Baseball isn't. One person can win a baseball game on his own. Basketball isn't. Take the Lakers for example with that one. Hear me out with this one. It's more like Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. Without Kobe, that team would be garbage. That's right... I said it. Anyways... who cares. I just want the Niners to be great again.

GO NINERS!!!!

Alex Smith

~Ceadder

2003- 2009. We've suffered for six long years.
Share 49ersWebzone